Gaelco World Rally repair log

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I got a faulty World Rally board from Rugdoctor.
The game booted but had 2 issues:
- RAM checksum error at address XXX (changes every time you power the board)
- Coprocessor not ready (indicates the game has committed suicide)

For the RAM error I first thought it was bad but discovered a cut trace. I patched it and the problem was fixed.

Then I tried to un-suicide the game. I needed a RS232 to TTL converter and as my computer doesn't have a serial port anymore (I had it through the docking station but I got rid of it...) I went the USB to TTL converter route:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/PL2303HX-UAR...567473?hash=item2354bd9af1:g:PkYAAOSwgQ9Vo~bT

The pinout on the World Rally board is as follow:
- 1 (closest to the printed 0) = VCC
- 2 = TXD
- 3 = RXD
- 4 = /PROG
- 5 = GND
You must bridge /PROG to GND on the board and connect only 3 wires to the TTL adapter (GND/TXD/RXD). Pinout may vary according to the adapter so just check yours.
The port settings are 2400b/s, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and XON/XOFF flux control.
With hyperterminal (or any other serial communication software) send a carrier return. The game should answer "DS5002 LOADER VERSION 0.1..."
Then send U, the game should answer "UNLOCKED".
Send L, the game waits for a file to load.
Copy and paste the following code:

Gaelco said:
File too big

[EDIT]
Can be found here:
http://foulweb.free.fr/divers/prog/WRDALLAS.HEX
(Or you can do as I did: download the romset on Gaelco website and convert the wrdallas.bin file to hex).
[/EDIT]

Transfer is quite long (between 5 and 10mn?).
When finished type Z to lock the DS5002.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me on first try. The cause was another broken trace. I fixed it and started the download procedure again and it worked!
Another game saved.

DSCN4513.JPG

DSCN4515.JPG

[EDIT2]
I forgot to mention I obviously replaced the battery.
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
Added pics
[/EDIT3]

Last edited: