Where to buy electronic components in Japan?

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Hey all!

I am moving to Japan permanently in 10 days now and would love to continue with my electronics hobby when I get there..

I must be able to RGB bypass mod my incoming AES consoles among many other things ;)

Anyone who knows any good places to buy components in Japan ? Preferably over the counter in a shop would be awesome but online order is also ok..

I know ebay and aliexpress are quite handy but so many fakes and such so I would rather buy in a legit shop.

I will live in saitama area and have about 50-60min to akihabara etc.

Anyone who got any tips to share?

Thanks all!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
good luck mate, sry about the drunk post

Last edited:

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I can't name any but just go throught the akihabara main street and there's plenty of stores, just look around for 15-20 min and you should find a zillion shops.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Ok I'll have a look around as I get there :). Mm closer or not doesn't really matter, just around that area would be nice.

Last edited:

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Nice, thanks :). Would be awesome to be able to shop over the counter! I always missed a big store here in Sweden.. so many times I realize that I need some extra caps or missed a value, or just wanna try something etc. Then it would have been so simple to just take the bike/car to nearest place so I could continue.

Ren-chan

He doesn't remember any now... but he asks me what part of Saitama so he can check online.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Moving to Japan permanently? Damn, I hope to do that one day... Maybe retire there. What's making you move there permanently?

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Moving to Japan permanently? Damn, I hope to do that one day... Maybe retire there. What's making you move there permanently?

Hi! Well my wife is Japanese and after 4 years in Sweden we decided to make our move to Japan. I have lived in Tokyo before when I was a student and traveled a lot. I like Sweden too but I feel that Japan has more to offer me and our son so we thought, why not give it a try. Japan is a very different country but it all depends on a person's ability to adapt and understand other cultures. (And the willingness to do so.)

Last edited:

xsq

what will you do for a living? Hope you don't mind me asking.

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
what will you do for a living? Hope you don't mind me asking.

No problem. I have some different paths depending on my university so I am not sure if I will finish my degree first or start working..

I have several years experience in the automation industry as a electrician / service technician (mostly plc, servo, hmi on component level). But I would like to take some certificates for the Industry IoT or industry 4.0.. (predictive maintenance and such).

Right now it's a bit blurry but it'll become clear when we arrive and after I meet the people in Japan that I already have established connection with in the industry.

Right now I am just happy that at least all paperwork in Sweden is done.... man i tell you.. i had lots of stuff :). Collecting for over 15th years.. arcade and consoles, electronics etc.. house, car .. now my life if in 2 suitcases ... feels awesome to live light ! (For a while at least... haha)

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Hi! Well my wife is Japanese and after 4 years in Sweden we decided to make our move to Japan. I have lived in Tokyo before when I was a student and traveled a lot. I like Sweden too but I feel that Japan has more to offer me and our son so we thought, why not give it a try. Japan is a very different country but it all depends on a person's ability to adapt and understand other cultures.

Wow, that's really cool. I hope it turns out great for you guys. Safe travels!

xsq

yeah, all the best to you, sounds like you got plenty of options and having some contacts is a really good thing.

a little surprising though that none of the stuff you unloaded ended for sale around here.......

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
yeah, all the best to you, sounds like you got plenty of options and having some contacts is a really good thing.

a little surprising though that none of the stuff you unloaded ended for sale around here.......

The thing is that we have a very big arcade community in Sweden so most of the games are sold here. Also a company that arranges a big retro event bought my cabs and a lot of games and equipment.

Worst was that I planned to keep my mvs carts.. but ended up having to sell them really quick so they went in 1 lot of 60~ to one swede and second lot of around 15~ to a guy in Norway :). Although my SSVS went to south Korea.

I had 6 weeks to sell all when my wife and son was in Japan preparing so had to be done fast! :S

Ren-chan

Thanks! I will be around 10minutes from omiya station!

Regards

Sorry, my pc died and I forgot to check this thread at work :(
I sent him a msg about Omiya station... let's see what he says.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
Nice - I am myself thinking about making that jump with my wife.

but the working environment is putting me off.... and I didn't have any chance yet to find a company that would send me there.

Ren-chan

Meh... my friend says he can't find any electronic component shop in Omiya... :(