Just scooped a PSP, what should I pick up?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I mentioned in chat I got a PSP, some blue bundle on Amazon. Anyway, I got MSXX, the MS Anthology, a bunch of puzzle games, the Hot Shots games and some Capcom Remixed or Reloaded or something. Games are pretty cheap for the system, any other recommended cheapies I should scoop?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Softmod, install cps2 emulator, $profit.

But in all seriousness, powerstone is cool, as are many puzzle games. I really liked every extend extra.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles should be in every PSP user's library. Mega Man: Maverick hunter X is also great, but the voices they tossed in are terrible. Small price to pay.

madman

I really liked every extend extra.

I got that one, along w/pretty much whatever Amazon had that were puzzle games that were <$10. Loco Roco, Loco Roco 2 and Patapon were on the list, LR and Patapon were a dual bundle for like $10 shipped so why not.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Loco Roco is awesome. Some of the catchiest music you'll ever hear, same with Patapon.
Some other recommendations:
Jeanne d'Arc - best strategy rpg on the PSP
Tactics Ogre
FFIV complete
Ridge Racer
MGS peace walker
Both syphon filters
Power stone collection

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If youre into RPGs, especially JRPGs and SRPGs, the PSP has an insane amount.

Some of my favorites on the system are FF Tactics, Castlevania Dracula X, Jeanne d'Arc, Pursuit Force (surprisingly great game) the god of war series, and Kingdom Hearts birth by sleep

madman

Is the SNK collection worth getting? I've been playing MS1 on the Anthology and the sound is just way off and I don't imagine it's the speakers on the PSP.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Is the SNK collection worth getting? I've been playing MS1 on the Anthology and the sound is just way off and I don't imagine it's the speakers on the PSP.

It is not, nor is the Orochi Saga. The sound is just as way off in both instances. For Neo Geo needs, you're better off softmodding and tossing roms on.

madman

It is not, nor is the Orochi Saga. The sound is just as way off in both instances. For Neo Geo needs, you're better off softmodding and tossing roms on.

How did SNKP screw up emulating their own games?

Thanks for the other recs, I can't really get into RPGs anymore though I liked them in my younger days. All the games I ordered should be here tomorrow, I'll post them up, a few more came today. I'll probably pop Metal Slug XX in tonight, already spent a chunk of time clearing MS1 on the Anthology. 20 Credits is too many, anyone can beat the game credit feeding that way.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
corpse party 1 & 2.

I thought i was the only person who played Corpse Party!

I'm not into horror games, it was still rad as fuck. I need to play the second one.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I thought i was the only person who played Corpse Party!

I'm not into horror games, it was still rad as fuck. I need to play the second one.

and the third one on vita! its crazy!

lions3

Igniz's Servent
and the third one on vita! its crazy!

wait, the Corpse Party games are good? grrr... add that to my list of games I need to try out then. Does the order matter? Can I just jump to the third one?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
All the import Macross games are good. There's a compilation with Sapphire on it. Crush is an awesome puzzle game. Lumines, obviously. I really liked Crisis Core: Final Fantasy. Half Minute Hero is awesome. And the first two Star Ocean games are the best way to start playing that serious, AFAIK. And like other people mentioned, Rondo.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Breath of Fire 3
Platypus- claymation shmup
hot pxl - Wario Ware clone
Exit 1 & 2 - brilliant statergy puzzle games
tales of eternia - Rpg
Astonisha story - brilliant RPG
The gta games - liberty,vice and China
Dante inferno - like god of war but better
Gun - Brillant port.
echochrome
Little big planet

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
wait, the Corpse Party games are good? grrr... add that to my list of games I need to try out then. Does the order matter? Can I just jump to the third one?

they're incredible. however- it is very story driven and rpg-like. if thats not your thing, then skip them. the trilogy is an overarching story. You can play through the third one, but there is a lot that you would miss. order does matter.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Ones not yet mentioned:

Hammerin' Hero
Gradius Collection
Mega Man Powered Up
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (some will hate the controls, yes, but it's cheap)

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
+ 1 to Irem's Hammerin' Hero. I also am fond of Ys games on the PSP. Napishtim should be run off the memory card if you can run Custom Firmware. The load times in Napishtim are bad but it's still a great game. Also the Salamander collection (import only) has Xexex.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
this is making me want to go on a PSP game buying $pree

geise

Mickey's Coach
Some others I forgot to mention:

Capcom's Puzzle World
Jean d'arc (if you like the strategy rpg's)
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
Ridge Racers (if you like the ol' arcade style)
Darkstalkers Chronicle the Chaos Tower
Twinbee Portable
Darius Burst (might be pricey now for a psp game)
Star Soldier
Every Extend Extra
Power Stone Collection
Outrun 2006

Stay away from:
Sengoku Cannon (Psikyo but it sucks)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Some of my favorites (sorry if they've already been mentioned..)

(Pretty much every game i listed below has multiple games in the series, all of which are recommended)

God of War
Ridge Racer
Burnout
Wipeout
Pursuit Force
Ikki Toussen
Metal Gear Peacewalker
Loco Roco
Patapon
Syphon Filter
Gran Turismo

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Darius Burst has been the only UMD in my PSP for probably 5 years. Great game for the john

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
if you plan to go digital at all then you should grab PSTV on the cheap. That way you can play many of your psp games on on big screen.

Maverick Hunter X for example plays way better on a big screen for me.

PSP has a ton of good games

Gradius Collection (this stayed in my umd slot for years until i sold it and bought digital)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (crazy time sink though)
Castlevania DXC
Megaman PU
Megaman MHX
all the Psikyo SHMUPS
all the Konami SHMUPS
Final Fantasy Crisis Core

off the top

Thats before you dig into roms and PSX eboots which is a whole other library within itself.

Back in the day when it was a novelty, I played a lot of fighting games on PSP.

SFA 3 MAX
Darkstalkers Chronicles
Samurai Showdown Anthology
Guilty Gear (Judgment is still good though)

Now and I can stand the tiny screen and lack of proper controls. I steer clear now. Now I just play them on PSTV with an inpin adapter or simply play the console versions.

Last edited: