Best parts for a neo arcade stick build?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I finally received two pc enclosures and I want to start building two arcade sticks for my Neo MVS. But before I start I wanted peoples opinions on what parts are the best to get. Looking to do all around gaming from shmups to fighters.

I heard sawnas sticks are better for fighters for fighters while semitsu sticks are better for shmups. as for buttons i hear they are more of a preference thing.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
No love for the il battops? If possible you should see if you can try the sticks you are interested in to find your preference. Buttons, candy style ones are nice.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It's about what you like. Sanwa has a looser feel. Seimetsu is tighter. You also have Happ which is what the U.S. arcade scene was used to playing on. So, if you were making something resembling a big red you might want to go with Happ.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I am open to anything.
Thing is i am a novice when it comes to anything arcade related. I do like the look of those bat tops but i prefer functionality and ergonomics over aesthetics.

With buttons I have a Hori pad for the xbox 360 that uses sanwa parts. I also have an AES stick which is ok but I might sell my AES in the future.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's about what you like. Sanwa has a looser feel. Seimetsu is tighter. You also have Happ which is what the U.S. arcade scene was used to playing on. So, if you were making something resembling a big red you might want to go with Happ.

I should say this is for my super gun/mvs combo. Will most likely use it for other games if it works out good but the primary focus will be neo. With that said, Happs are what i'm most familiar with but it's been years since i've tried one.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Isn't happ awful nowadays?

I'm pretty sure it's all about the IL eurosticks.

But I would say it all depends on the enclosure, it needs to have some decent weight to use American style sticks... if it's a light weight enclosure Japanese parts would prolly be better.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
What do the enclosures look like?

they're the ones that people been using on here a bunch. Sturdy but lightweight.

RIdovNO.jpg

jiiHXNa.jpg

WFYnP2t.jpg

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You're not fitting US style parts in there. Hell, a Seimitsu may be a tight fit too.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Brains.

I feel like I have read this thread at least 5 times in the little years I've been on here.

But yeah, I'd try the two main Japanese sticks and buttons in a "protoenclosure" (e.g. shoe box) to see which you like better - LS-32 vs. JLF, Seimitsu vs. Sanwa.
I personally like a JLF with Seimitsu buttons... you can mod the JLF with different gates, actuators, springs etc. too.
What you should also figure out is how many main buttons you want, 4 or 6? [Sure if your focus is Neo then 4, but with a supergun and/or USB adapter...]

also: slagcoin.com

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Seimitsu will fit in these enclosures just fine. I built a set last summer with those exact enclosures.

Tacoguy here's the link to that thread with the build, plus other used those same enclosures in that thread so you can get some ideas from all of us.

Start at post #104

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257194-Favorite-Joystick-to-Play-With/page5

That's the thread I was looking for but couldn't find it.
How has the stick been holding up for you after a year?

Brains.

I feel like I have read this thread at least 5 times in the little years I've been on here.

But yeah, I'd try the two main Japanese sticks and buttons in a "protoenclosure" (e.g. shoe box) to see which you like better - LS-32 vs. JLF, Seimitsu vs. Sanwa.
I personally like a JLF with Seimitsu buttons... you can mod the JLF with different gates, actuators, springs etc. too.
What you should also figure out is how many main buttons you want, 4 or 6? [Sure if your focus is Neo then 4, but with a supergun and/or USB adapter...]

also: slagcoin.com

I know, I was debating on making this thread since I've seen some similar threads before. There should be a floaty or sticky thread for arcade sticks. Since more people are going the MVS route you will probably see more of these threads pop up.

And I am going with the pure Neo layout for my first build. At least to start off and if I do a good job I would like to build some other sticks.

Thanks for the links and suggestions, they will help out a bunch.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The Sanwa jlf fits nicely in that case, I did the heavier spring in mine with the octo gate. I personally thought the jlf was too soft/loose feeling stock. Most people like the 2lb spring replacement which they have at focusattack.com along with the octo gate and paradisearcadeshop.com used to have even heavier springs available but I haven't checked on their site in awhile. I did a few sticks, some with the cherry switch mod also.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
The Sanwa jlf fits nicely in that case, I did the heavier spring in mine with the octo gate. I personally thought the jlf was too soft/loose feeling stock. Most people like the 2lb spring replacement which they have at focusattack.com along with the octo gate and paradisearcadeshop.com used to have even heavier springs available but I haven't checked on their site in awhile. I did a few sticks, some with the cherry switch mod also.

Focus Attack sells both the 2 and 4 lbs springs. I'm actually waiting on them to restock the 2 lbs springs.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Yeah I think i'm going with that one since I do like the idea of being able to mod it to my liking. Probably going with the heavier springs since i do like the feeling of resistance.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Honestly I love those little AES sticks the only thing I didn't like was the buttons so I swapped those out for sanwa 24mm buttons as they just snap right in place and the soldering is a breeze can share some pics if you wanna see

Last edited:

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
For fighting games I've always preferred the Sanwa JLF with the stock spring and a square gate. The only thing I do is switch to an oversized actuatator for a smaller dead-zone. I've tried octagonal gates and they're nice for quarter-circle motions, but I've found diagonals a bit more difficult to pull off. As for buttons, I don't think there's that much of a difference between Seimitsu and Sanwa. Sanwas are a bit more sensitive, but its not a HUGE difference or anything.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Honestly I love those little AES sticks the only thing I didn't like was the buttons so I swapped those out for sanwa 24mm buttons as they just snap right in place and the soldering is a breeze can share some pics if you wanna see

It's a nice stick and I like playing with it but I am not sure if I'm going to keep my AES which is why I want to build a stick for my MVS/supergun set up.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
It's a nice stick and I like playing with it but I am not sure if I'm going to keep my AES which is why I want to build a stick for my MVS/supergun set up.
it's still the same connector...........just sell the console, keep the AES stick and rejuvinate it, put a GOTW in there while you're at it.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
it's still the same connector...........just sell the console, keep the AES stick and rejuvinate it, put a GOTW in there while you're at it.

Yeah exactly I dont have an AES but I have 2 AES sticks to use on my CMVS. I even modded a hori II with all sanwa parts and I still use the old AES ones over it

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
That's the thread I was looking for but couldn't find it.
How has the stick been holding up for you after a year?

Hey sorry, they are the best sticks i have ever owned. As thick as the enclosures are you don't half to worry about the durability of them. Just use good parts and a layout and you will be all set.