Spring / Summer Projects Thread (non-game related)

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Greetings,

Spring is springing and it's time for those ideas that build up over the winter to get off the paper and out into our yards and homes.

Please post your projects here...

Things to mention:
-How much did it cost?
-How long did it take?
-What is the purpose?
-What was the inspiration?
-What specialty tools were required?
-...and anything else pertinent to your project!

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I am modifying a piece of furniture I made last summer so that it can hold a second crt. I did the project in 2 days, one for the actual woodworking and the other for painting it. The cost was pretty minimal, I got it all out of a 4x8 sheet of plywood, some 4 2x2s, and some hardware. The inspiration originally was to provide a shelf for my trinitron to queen out on, and slide easily into the corner to make a nice retro station. I used a table saw, a jigsaw, and some stools to hold it off the grass. The new pertinent facts are that after a winter of use I decided how it needed to change to be better: the bottom area needs a shelf for the cart based systems to sit on, the whole thing needs a lot more torsional rigidity to be able to withstand two fatty crts, and I want to make some really primitive lazy susans for the top so I can spin them around to get to the connections. I will post a picture of the before later on.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
No big projects on the horizon for me, though I am getting someone in to render the front of the house in the next few weeks.

Small projects I've recently completed/nearly completed are:

6m x 6m decking out the back of the house. It was just a kit off ebay i bought to cover up the scrubland the builders left behind after installing an extension and it's done it's job pretty well. Looking out for some second hand banisters on ebay too.

20160501_004803_resized.jpg

Next up I'm just finishing some understair storage - nothing more than putting some doors on. It might not look like much but it's taken me forever to do. It's all been made to measure and I'm not good at this kind of thing so it's very slightly wonky in places, but overall I'm happy.

The filling, sanding and painting have taken fucking ages though, I still need to go over the back of the doors with at least another coat, not sure I can be bothered now.

20160501_004530_resized.jpg

Like I said, small fry jobs that didn't require any special tools or anything like that, but a big deal in my humdrum life.

And inspiration? Now I've got a missus and kids and therefore nothing much worth living for, the dreaded 'house proud' has started to creep in.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Good spacing on those deck boards, StevenK. It only takes one board in the beginning to be off just a hair for the whole thing to get off kilter. People often take for granted the aesthetic pleasantness of level work. It's always noticeable when it's off, but we take for granted when it isn't.

@loli - yes, some pics would be great!

---------------------------------------------------

Here's my project for today - my wife has been wanting some raised planting beds - 4'x8' rectangle, 12" deep. She's been asking for 2 years now, but the whole thing just feels visually unappealing and the project itself wouldn't be very rewarding for me - so...I held off. After some planning and finagling she allowed me to meet her needs, but also add some eye appeal and architectural creativity.

I put it in the back yard by our apple tree - it's in a spot where the grade really drops down. As such, the front of the raised bed is 12" off the ground and at the deepest point at the back it is 30", so it drops 18" over 8'. It is an L shape; 12' across the front, 8' down the hill, then over 4', up 4', and back the other way 8'. I still have to put in the rodent mesh tomorrow - soil is already delivered, so we'll put the kids to work and wheelbarrow that over from the front of the house tomorrow.

Some pics:
Spoiler:
enhance

enhance

enhance

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Uhhh mjmjr do you have any neighbors? Dude you've probably got the best house/property out of everyone here.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Thanks - I appreciate that...but alas, I do have neighbors...they're just...down the road is all. We have 1 of 4 houses on a private road; each property is between 5 and 20 acres - ours is the smallest at 5 acres, of which 1.5 is cleared and 3.5 is wooded. The road is about 3/4 mile off of a quiet county road - it's pretty secluded, but still only 5 mins from the school and 20 mins from Duluth, MN - which has 90K people and plenty to do.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood and my dad always made comments to the effect, "don't buy the house....buy the neighborhood, buy the property, buy the schools." He was always fixing windows or fences because of vandals. Could always hear neighbors having parties and of course it was a small lot without much of a yard. So when it was time to buy our place the actual house was the last thing we really looked at. We ended up buying a 2 bedroom house with no storage. BUT, the property was all we could ask for. The house was well built and had an unfinished basement that did not leak at all - so it was easy to put in a 2nd bathroom, 2 more bedrooms, and family area. It's in the best school district in the state and is only 25 mins from where I work. I've been able to build a shed and upgrade the garage to help out with storage. I hope to put an addition on next year, but that entails a few things i've never done and am nervous about - cutting into an existing roof and putting in a concrete slab. I know this is a much longer response than was needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I grew up in a rough neighborhood and my dad always made comments to the effect, "don't buy the house....buy the neighborhood, buy the property, buy the schools." He was always fixing windows or fences because of vandals. Could always hear neighbors having parties and of course it was a small lot without much of a yard. So when it was time to buy our place the actual house was the last thing we really looked at. We ended up buying a 2 bedroom house with no storage. BUT, the property was all we could ask for. The house was well built and had an unfinished basement that did not leak at all - so it was easy to put in a 2nd bathroom, 2 more bedrooms, and family area. It's in the best school district in the state and is only 25 mins from where I work. I've been able to build a shed and upgrade the garage to help out with storage. I hope to put an addition on next year, but that entails a few things i've never done and am nervous about - cutting into an existing roof and putting in a concrete slab. I know this is a much longer response than was needed.

That's damn good advice.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
No household or land related projects on the list since Ill be moving soon. Everything is pretty much game related. Besides the stereo install in my car. Dynamat usually adheres better in warmer temperatures. All in all I think for the components, wiring, and sound deadening I spent around $1200 and it's only taken about 6 months to finish it ;)

I do have an old Philco buffet style tube amped radio and tunable combo I'll be restoring soon. Just some sanding, staining, and rewiring really. Shouldn't be more than $150.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Just some sanding, staining, and rewiring really. Shouldn't be more than $150.

Finish work is tedious and NOT easy. Anything w/staining or applying a finish / lacquer / poly requires good skill and patience. I love restoration projects - you should def do some before and after pics.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I started a new tradition for myself on the 4th of July some years back.

I like to take on a new project or complete an old project that's been on the backburner. Can be anything form an actual project or learning something.

I figured independence day is celebrating the creation of something new so I should also create something. Keeps my skills sharp and reminds me to not just be a disgusting passive consumer.

That said, right NOW I'm working on a new case for my Eurorack Modular Synthesizer. I got a small case with one row of modules, am working on a second case that will hold two rows of modules. Currently have parts to build one more row but I've got an idea for that. Project involves some easy word working, some light finishing work, and depending on how I want to do the power supply might involve soldering up a PSU kit. I'm just buying parts here and there, spreading it out over time because Eurorack/Audio gear is stupid expensive.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Keeps my skills sharp and reminds me to not just be a disgusting passive consumer.

That said, right NOW I'm working on a new case for my Eurorack Modular Synthesizer.

Pics when you can - sounds like a cool project and short of google guess - I have no idea what that would look like.

I agree on the consumerism piece - when you begin doing a lot of things yourself; making furniture or even instruments, you find you can (A) tailor it exactly how you want it and (B) save 70-90% range off the store price.

The majority of my initial projects have since been "recycled", but i've gotten half decent at most things and now make all of our furniture, doors, beds, book cases, things like that. These are some closet doors I built 2 years ago - super simple, getting the hardware track on was by far the most frustrating part:
Spoiler:
Aivlo8j.jpg

These are the bunk beds I made for my boys and girls:
Spoiler:
epabRs8.jpg

IMG_0398-1.jpg

IMG_0657-1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------
Today I decide I need a proper lean-to wood shed for drying and storing firewood. I don't plan on it being overly fancy and using straight up AC2 treated lumber for the base and carsiding for the walls.

Like most projects - the hard work and majority of time was in prep, in this case, foundation prep. That was about 4 hours of digging and leveling a 12'x4' section behind my garage. I then built a base out of 2x6 for frame, and 2x4 for decking supports. From there it was mount (4) 4x4 posts and cut the deck boards. I completely zoned out when cutting the angle on my 4x4's - it was supposed to slope at a 12 degree angle. After 6 hours I was on auto-pilot. Went to set the angle on my miter saw and just went straight to 45 - again, just straight auto. You can see me in one of the pics looking at it w/a "What was I thinking?" look on my face. Anyways, tomorrow will be the tongue and groove carsiding and then a plywood and metal sheet roof - should be ready to stack firewood by end of day tomorrow.

Spoiler:
enhance

enhance

None of this will be visible from our house windows or as you pull up in the drive - it is very well secluded behind the garage as you pull up, and behind the kids playground from our house view (my kids are getting older, so the playground is more of an obstacle course now, complete w/parallel bars, rope climb, and rock wall):
G1hoR5W.jpg

SeYe98z.jpg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm essentially making a glorified box, lol.

SCVDamp.jpg

Crazy mess of wire and knobs is a modular synthesizer.

There are many formats for modular synthesizers but the most popular today is called Eurorack, which is what I have.

I have small system just one row of modules ("3U @ 90HP") and I'm just building a new case so I can have more modules. Going with plywood because I had a mess of scrap from some earlier projects.

The modules screw in to the shiny metal bars. Each module needs power and will be connected by an IDC cable to a bus board which will in turn go to a power supply, etc, etc, etc.

Not that far yet.

Can't wait to make more bleeps and bloops.

I've got 2.5 modules in my current system that were DIY (Soldered from a Kit.) Looking forward to doing more kits in the future.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Over the weekend, my son (6) and I started to make a couple arcade controllers for the PB4 (wonder where I got that?). Anyway, pretty straight forward, we're using some reclaimed poplar for the case and I have a tub of old arcade buttons and sticks. The "special" tools are all my Opa's. His 1954 C-man tablesaw, 1957 Walker-Turner drillpress. All run great(they don't make them like these anymore) and the kicker is my son is the 4th generation to use them. We're making the first as a template and I'll probably make another but with dovetails.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Uhhh mjmjr do you have any neighbors? Dude you've probably got the best house/property out of everyone here.

Is Mjmj25 famous or something, or just financially successful? Curiosity is all.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
My primary project is keeping my vegetable garden going. Looking to have a big harvest on cherry tomatoes this year, along with a good selection of peppers, some of which are pretty rare and you'll never see in a store anywhere. Also growing Carolina Reapers and 7-Pot-Douglahs, which are stupid hot peppers (CR is the hottest certified pepper at the moment). I might be willing to share some here if I get enough of a harvest.

Also going to be getting a couple avocado trees and a mango tree that were acclimated to survive in the Arizona desert. With some care and attention, I'm hoping they do well here in Vegas.

Is Mjmj25 famous or something, or just financially successful? Curiosity is all.

He's Ryan Gosling, so he's got money.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
My primary project is keeping my vegetable garden going. Looking to have a big harvest on cherry tomatoes this year, along with a good selection of peppers, some of which are pretty rare and you'll never see in a store anywhere. Also growing Carolina Reapers and 7-Pot-Douglahs, which are stupid hot peppers (CR is the hottest certified pepper at the moment). I might be willing to share some here if I get enough of a harvest.

Also going to be getting a couple avocado trees and a mango tree that were acclimated to survive in the Arizona desert. With some care and attention, I'm hoping they do well here in Vegas.

He's Ryan Gosling, so he's got money.

I have no idea who Ryan Gosling is. (I don't keep track of modern music or tv)

Edit: My boyfriend was mad that I didn't know who he was, he was like "The notebook???". Lol.
So I checked IMDB to check out this Gosling fellow, and I saw Fracture when it was in theaters. (I love Sir Anthony Hopkins) :emb:
mjmjr25 seems like a cool guy though.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Can my project just be GSD?
Cuz that's my plan for the next quarter. Downsize and GSD.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Last year, I landscaped and re-fenced my back yard.
Took out 6 giant bushes (texas privets) that had grown out of control and were like 12 feet high and shedding leaves and flowers and shit into my pool.
Also put down aggregate gravel around the house and bark chips on the back fence.

Oh, and had to install a french drain on one side of the house because there was a swamp that formed every time it rained. Luckily, we had a drain to patch it into nearby, so it was fairly cheap.

This year, gotta landscape the front yard.
Building a fence to the front facade of the house to give us a courtyard, and tearing up all the grass to install drought resistant stuff.

Also need to do some repairs on the pool, like re-mounting the lights, patching tile, and doing a deep clean to rid it of algae.

I also hope to replace the single speed pump with a variable speed and finally figure out how to operate the valves so I can use the damn hot tub.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
@Bob - yep, dead on. It's a cliche, but like most cliche's, it's true - they do not make them like that anymore and it's sad - because people will pay for a good product. Even the best corded drills from today fail when tested against my 1960's Montgomery Ward store model - this drill lifted me off the ground and kept going when putting a 4" vent hole in my siding. I scope auctions for band saws and drill presses, but those old craftsmen go for big money now (and rightfully so). Also - good on you for both the project the use of those Irwin quick clamps - I am very fond of those.

@Fygee - interesting. We did peppers for the first time last year - we grew jalepeno's right next to bell peppers. The jalapenos were sort of bland (not as hot as we had hoped) and the bell peppers were spicier than we would have thought. We wondered if somehow they almost cross-blended by being so close to each other - do you know?

@Reso - ...pm me your address for those MVS raffle carts ;) Also, if you haven't seen Drive; log off and fix that...today.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
@Fygee - interesting. We did peppers for the first time last year - we grew jalepeno's right next to bell peppers. The jalapenos were sort of bland (not as hot as we had hoped) and the bell peppers were spicier than we would have thought. We wondered if somehow they almost cross-blended by being so close to each other - do you know?

Typically cross pollination won't affect the flavor or heat of fruit itself, but depending on the varieties it can. Seeds grown from cross-pollenated fruit will sometimes not be "true to type" as well. That makes for some interesting new varieties and mutations, but most of the time they're subpar from the original.

You may have had a one off though as bell peppers should contain no heat whatsoever.

A big factor on how hot a pepper can be is where its grown. Here in Vegas, they tend to be quite a bit hotter due to our hotter and drier conditions. There's something about a plant being under stress that makes the capscasin content higher in them. I eat store bought habaneros and I get a pretty solid burn. I eat one of mine that I grew and it feels like I just chewed on fresh lava. The downside of that is you get less overall fruit.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Spring Time, tune up time. I just recently built a storage deck bench for keeping the patio furniture chairs out of the rain. And, a yoko shed, that thanks to its horizontal orientation (as opposed to a traditional storage 'mini house' style shed) it nooks nicely away, under the deck.

I'll spare pics, because they are both plastic ready made contraptions, that snapped and screwed together...suffice it to say, the cushions/bikes/snow thrower all are tucked away now.

The next project is photo worthy tho.
cdd380431991d50dc880c7e441bb5c70.jpg

I'm not a shill for Home Depot; however, these little cinder block wonders are only available there, for now.

They are AMAZING. The system is so clever, I can't believe no one thought of it sooner. Basically-remember Construx?
3ac77f7b0198a5ef5bc25da04d8512de.jpg

These cinder blocks, are like grown up versions of the blue Construx 'connector knots!

The cinder blocks stack and lock on each other, and the receiving grooves on the four sides accept 2x6 lumber. The hole in the center of the block, is for driving rebar through, to hold the block (or block tower) in place.

5bd522c7753a1b0bf49afaaa9bcf3efb.jpg

^you can follow the recipes for these raised beds, or freestyle build your own. And it's not just beds: some hinges and a top plank later, and you can have a footlocker or storage bench/box.

We had recently partially demo'd our retaining wall, and used the stone for a flower/ornamental plant set up.
9ca6af777127b895f0e266e9025a6d38.jpg

Now, for the veggie garden...we used the stackable planter blocks I've been raving about most of this post. Dead simple, easier than Construx-lol.

The recipe:
1e5f3e98c4b4cbad115f8e1c9b9f43fb.jpg

Cut, stack, drive-it's all in the mind! Cut 2x6 planks to desired length, stack the blocks, and fill the grooves.
a6a606a88544f32dcb26fc86da5c5aa0.jpg

c2f893c6ea93dba13d94d4ab33c42b12.jpg

Filling 2yd^3 of soil, one wheelbarrow at a time was the hardest part. Luckily, my son and daughter were bout it bout it. Dirt cost more than the materials to build the raised bed, believe it or not. Drove 4ft rebars through the 18" stacked blocks-this thing isn't going anywhere!
f58a17db96a7993de237bc0e92140cf4.jpg

Voila. Finished just before yesterday's rain. Time for some melons, berries, and veggies.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
That is excellent stuff - thanks for posting it up. I've not seen those cinder blocks - a product definitely worth checking out. My kids want a play house out back, but the area my wife is willing to have it is pretty unlevel and borderline swampy in the spring. The foundation is going to be the trickiest bit - I wonder if these stacked might make a difficult job much more manageable.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
That is excellent stuff - thanks for posting it up. I've not seen those cinder blocks - a product definitely worth checking out. My kids want a play house out back, but the area my wife is willing to have it is pretty unlevel and borderline swampy in the spring. The foundation is going to be the trickiest bit - I wonder if these stacked might make a difficult job much more manageable.

Thanks man! Here is an quick install video. They recommended tamping/leveling, but I got on fine w/ out it. A playhouse out of these might be my next project-the cedar one we have now is hella flimsy, and too small for the kids now that they aren't toddlers anymore.

A picnic table might be happening too. I gotta tap my inner 4th grader, and go into Construx mode.

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/e1/uds/pd/1834613806001/1834613806001_4793559349001_4793529986001.mp4

EDIT: here is a pic of the hori shed. Costco has them, atm. Bigger than the ones on Amazon-it actually holds 4 bikes and a snow thrower no problem.
0f9d1f937246181c7e946175f5ab6ccc.jpg

958b68d5d942523276ff6829d8b4d14a.jpg

a30ddd666749b4bbd379ca55a72e1ca8.jpg

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Think I'm gong to build another Honda. Fun little cars and great engines.