Spring / Summer Projects Thread (non-game related)

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
SIXufFx.jpg

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Great little run there, Bob. Glad to see the alpaca's worked out. We were close to adding sheep but my wife won out over my daughter and we just added a dozen more chickens instead.

I read through this and noticed I never posted my finished board game shelving. I'll snap some pics and post them.

Good bump!

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Completed board game shelving. Nothing fancy. 2x12's, poly / stain, install...

20230105_190132.jpg

I put in some faux stone around our fireplace. This was a fairly inexpensive (but purely cosmetic) project. The faux stone weigh about 30% less than stone, but the real nice part is the corner pieces that completely wrap-around corners. Super slick. Also raised the wood stove 4" off ground, 2x4 base, laid flat, some mesh to hold mortar, and more faux stone. All in about $500 and 8 hours labor over 2 days.

20230105_190231.jpg

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Ha, yeah. Our county has a lot of requirements, one of which being any wood burning stoves in a permanent residence must also have a sprinkler system.

We also require mound septic because why not make folks spend 25K on something you can build yourself for under a grand :/

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Refinishing the kitchen cabinets and replacing some worn out parts. Total cost is around $200 for paint, sealant, rollers, brushes, hardware and wood to make some new shelves. The main "expense" is the time involved since there's a total of 30 cabinets and drawers. Everything has to be cleaned and sanded, then 3 coats of paint (Behr Dynasty semi-gloss white), 2 coats of sealant (MinWax Polycrylic).

Also recaulked everything, new tile grout, switches and outlets. I already did the bathrooms and laundry room so I've gotten quite good at it. The inspiration was my wife constantly asking me to do it and the purpose is to have a nice modern looking kitchen. I'm doing it in chunks and it'll probably take a couple months.

Attachments

• PXL_20230124_004705274.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230124_004705274.MP.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Damn, that's a pretty big collection. I'm in a similar situation where I need to tetris everything to fit in my external shelving.
I sort of transitioned from video games to board games about 3 years ago. Trimmed video games to 1,000-ish titles (600 of which are gamecube) and board games went from around 75 to over 450 now. So...I didn't save any room. I have 2 other similarly sized shelves. It's good and bad, just like it was with video games. Spoiled for choice. The family, particularly my girls are content with half a dozen video games but they like the wide selection of board games.

Wyo - nice job dude. My kitchen is bad but it's overwhelming. House built in 1984 and original cabinets, flooring, lighting (even appliances other than dishwasher actually) and it's just daunting. There are no $200 fixes. Probably 10-12K to do it right. It functions so we live with it, but it will win no beauty contests.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Refinishing the kitchen cabinets and replacing some worn out parts. Total cost is around $200 for paint, sealant, rollers, brushes, hardware and wood to make some new shelves. The main "expense" is the time involved since there's a total of 30 cabinets and drawers. Everything has to be cleaned and sanded, then 3 coats of paint (Behr Dynasty semi-gloss white), 2 coats of sealant (MinWax Polycrylic).

Also recaulked everything, new tile grout, switches and outlets. I already did the bathrooms and laundry room so I've gotten quite good at it. The inspiration was my wife constantly asking me to do it and the purpose is to have a nice modern looking kitchen. I'm doing it in chunks and it'll probably take a couple months.

Nice! Clean work too - I am trying to get better at that stuff

Reactions: wyo

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
How is that even possible?
549 of 555 US releases, 29 JPN exclusives, and 1 of the random combo packs / rarities.

So...what is that, not 600 I guess. 579.

I don't have Pokemon Box US, Sonic Heroes / Monkey Ball combo pack or the Monkey Ball other rare release. It'd be cool to have them but would never pay near what they do. Also no manual for Disney Basketball.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Here’s another makeover project on a gas fireplace in my bedroom. Total cost around $225. Shiplap and a faux brick sheet and i made the mantle out of some leftover pine from other projects. Then used joint compound to do a German schmear look on the brick. 98766968-F806-49B8-8E72-92174FEC872C.jpeg85A8D22A-B86C-4DDF-8855-2932DCC7033B.pngE1BBA8C6-F1DF-4DB0-907C-CB60C16130EF.jpeg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
More progress. Just a couple more section to go now.
Spoiler:
PXL_20230223_212607590.jpgPXL_20230224_060206952.jpg

@mjmjr25 yeah the cost for a complete renovation is very expensive now, even for DIY. I bought some laminated panels to make some new shelves, which added $100 to the budget ;)

@blakeb8111 nice work! Digging the color scheme as well.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
More progress. Just a couple more section to go now.

@mjmjr25 yeah the cost for a complete renovation is very expensive now, even for DIY. I bought some laminated panels to make some new shelves, which added $100 to the budget ;)

@blakeb8111 nice work! Digging the color scheme as well.
Looks awesome, Wyo. Cabinets are tedious but well worth the effort. I’m doing a laundry room makeover. Pics to come

Reactions: wyo

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I finally started a project for this year. Winter lasted into end of May and ground was soggy until late June. Everything ran 4-5 weeks behind then summer was so busy. My oldest daughter doing art shows every weekend and my youngest son doing card shows on the rare weekend she didn't have something, just no time. But, things have slowed down a tick so tackling a garage project.

Original owner had installed a drop ceiling on 2x6's to support the celing, insulate, and garage door. Keeping it brief I removed the drop ceiling and insulation to create some accessible lumber and other storage overhead. Tying the drop ceiling 2x6's into the trusses to tighten everything up. Adding some braces in-between trusses along plywood ceiling to firm things up as well. My trusses are strong, no cracks or loose gusset plates, but a few of the plywood panesl have bellies. After that (about halfway through this part currently) will be building floor-to-ceiling shelving on both sides of the truss support walls which will effectively have 4 walls supporting the trusses instead of the normal 2.

Here's a pic after tearout of old ceiling. Wanted to repurpose the insulation, but was mouse poo and urine infested throughout.

Screenshot_20230921-191533_Gallery.jpg

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
Good progress on garage shelving over course of the week. This was progress through Wednesday.

View attachment 68366
View attachment 68365

Here is where I am as of this evening. Should finish up bottom shelves tomorrow and can start loading them up.

View attachment 68362

View attachment 68363

View attachment 68364

Very nice work! You'll have tons of storage and everything should look nice and tidy. Will you be placing things in storage bins and then on the rack?

That is a large amount of wood you are using for this project.
Is wood still as pricey as it was during the pandemic?

Do your kids help you? I bet they can learn lots of useful wood working skills techniques helping make a rack system and tightening the joist.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member