Spring / Summer Projects Thread (non-game related)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Small Project, but i halted everything else in my life until i finished this.

Stripped all old and solid grease. Stripped blades. Stripped gearbox. Stripped cage. reshaped emblem.
New wiring. New felt. Lucas Green Grease to pack gearbox.
Polished and left some brass exposed.
Epoxy Paint on cage and gearbox. Meguiar's polish on old Coil housing and case.

Quieter than anything on the market today. All metal.
Moves a ton of air.

Before
before.JPG

After
Spoiler:

IMG_1374.JPGIMG_1377.JPGIMG_1393.JPGafter.JPGIMG_1396.JPG

Last edited:

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
Trying to dig myself a fire pit in the backyard. Cleared off a bunch of overgrowth on my back parking pad (I live in the city), and I need to re-hang a gutter that fell off during a rainstorm a little while back. Planted some flowers out front and trying to make my house not look like a total piece of shit lives there any more.

I mean, I still do, but I don't want it to LOOK like it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Been working on my movie room a bit. Finally put blackout curtains, popcorn machine, & some new wall art. Finish making myself a poster lightbox. Turned out better then expected.
20170529_213145_zpsezqcmr5m.JPG

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
First semi big project of the year. My daughter asked for a swing set for her birthday a few weeks ago, so we got this. Came as a kit, and had to buy the 4x4s separate. No special tools or techniques really, drills, shovels and a level was about all it took.

4Xi3wYf.jpg

hk8VsP6.jpg

8ZyHv5s.jpg

(wow, these pics turned out big on this post)

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Having a ton of rain lately, great for the cucumbers and tomatoes, bad for the peppers. Ghost peppers didn't make it, might not be able to make hot sauce this year.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Looks good HDR, u should share some of ur movie room pics

This my current movie room, eventually going to buy that nice house with a big ass basement. For now its in the family room haha.

Going to replace the other two shitty walmart poster frames w/ lightboxes eventually. Also maybe next year ill be getting those nice power leather seats, had these chairs for 15years now time for an upgrade.

20170606_185617_zpsdyeuf49r.JPG
20170606_185335_zpso5eyjbgf.JPG
20170606_185601_zpsy8wa9bzr.JPG
20170606_185715_zpsdzir9i8q.JPG
20170605_185039_zpsfrzkohq5.JPG20170605_185052_zpsbd8jiuqi (1).JPG

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Great work on the playground tighe - those kits are really nice. It's rewarding to get something substantial and well made in a day or two.

Movie room is awesome and those superhero busts are really cool. Is the Han Solo a picture, or that a full on 3D item?

We got a few more projects going this weekend.

Started day by taking down a few trees that have an orange fungus which slowly kills it and it spreads pretty quickly - wood is still good for for fireplace though. Took down 2 larger trees and then some sucker branches that are shading garden too much.
Spoiler:
enhance

Built a 2nd garden bed as our long-term garden plan comes together - started to lay fabric and a mulch path around it:

enhance

enhance

enhance

A busy day and got a ton done, but kids still had energy for some fishing at dusk:

Started at a pond near our house that leads to a larger lake - lots of catfish but their pretty small:
Spoiler:
enhance

enhance

It's staying light until 10pm now so they wanted to move to a place further away w/bigger fish - nothing great, but Redhorse is very good pickled.

enhance

enhance

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Did your girl just flick her hair at that moment? Hahah.

It's uncanny how similar the environment is to where my aunt's/cousin's home was. Deep in the woods and near a pond.

Keep updating in this thread, I like it.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
@HDR, I like the movie room. Lots of cool stuff in there, that's a project I want to do hopefully in the near future. Bruce lee should get the next poster treatment.

For the guys with gardens, do any of you have problems with rabbits? I have so many and they're destroying my flower beds. Any good methods to get rid of them or keep them away?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
For the guys with gardens, do any of you have problems with rabbits? I have so many and they're destroying my flower beds. Any good methods to get rid of them or keep them away?

we have barn cats that protect our garden. You can also put up some chicken wire fence around the area, easy enough to do. Or you can hook up an electric wire to run around the perimeter but they'd probably just jump it.

My Oma would put vinegar and lemon zest around the perimeter too. There is also the ol' 0.22 option?

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Our only real issue is birds - particularly right after we plant, not so much once things get going. Not much you can do about them.

We have a lot of rabbits, but our beds are high enough they mostly leave them alone. We have lots of deer too, but our garden is centered in the yard and they tend to not wander into such an open area. We do have a fence at the ready but haven't had to use it. Be prepared for death from any type of netting. They do kill mice, chipmunks and rabbits - so we try to avoid it wherever we can.

A quick fence can be made with 4 of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...t-Green-Steel-Fence-U-Post-901154EB/205960882
And a roll of this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Gardener-7-ft-x-100-ft-DeerBlock-Protective-Mesh-6050R/100328622

A sturdier fence and safer for wildlife, but more time to put up and take down: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-33-100-ft-x-50-ft-Garden-Welded-Wire-Fence-308371HD/204331903

Either option is economical and takes less than 20 mins up and down; assuming your garden isn't football field sized.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Treehouse continues to progress, but kids more interested in playing than helping, which is ok. Put up a swing that allegedly can hold 800lbs - we'll never go that close, but if it can do 400 we'll be pleased with it:
Spoiler:
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Well I'm going to have way too many cucumbers this year thanks to all the fucking rain in GA. Everything else isn't doing so well.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Rise from your grave:

Time to step up to the big leagues and make a real garden.
JT8miS3l.jpg

Used some treated wood, weed killer and then cardboard on top of the weeds. Will put down another layer of cardboard before I add soil.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Rise from your grave:

Time to step up to the big leagues and make a real garden.
JT8miS3l.jpg

Used some treated wood, weed killer and then cardboard on top of the weeds. Will put down another layer of cardboard before I add soil.

Looks great. What's the size? 6'x8'?
What are you going to plant?

Is that your backyard? That's a huge area.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Looks great. What's the size? 6'x8'?
What are you going to plant?

Is that your backyard? That's a huge area.

8 foot landscape timbers. Cut a few in half. Yeah that’s my backyard, it is a pretty wide area. All the wood costs about 35 bucks and the nails about $4.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Busy busy summer - tons of camping and fishing, but have managed to knock out a few projects as well:

My wife wanted a 3 line split rail fence to keep the deer out of her garden;
enhance

Here's a shot just before the final rail was put in place:
enhance

Had a nice tree go down in a recent storm - plenty thick for benches and no rot or bug damage. Sliced in half and notched for leg supports:
enhance

A good time to extend the ring around our firepit - extended from 3' out to 9' out with 2 yards of river rock:
enhance

enhance

Have since sealed the tops and treated bark so no concerns of water damage or bugs getting under bark.

Built an obstacle course w/my dad for 4th of July party:
enhance

My dad is 63 and still put up the best time out of 25+ kids and adults:
enhance

enhance

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Nice Mike. I here ya on the busy summer taking time fishing and camping just about every other weekend teaching my kids to eat fish on a stick and such.

IMG_20180622_165548936_HDR~01.jpg

Last winter I scored a roof top tent and have been taking every chance to sleep in it. Had to install the rack as well.

IMG_20180624_151027280_HDR~01.jpg
IMG_20180608_173727133_HDR~01.jpg

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Nice man. We just bought our first new tent in 15 years. We had a Wenger Suisse 6-person, but it just isn't big enough any longer as the kids keep growing. We got a CORE 12-person Instant and will get to use it for first time later this month. They're actually doing a 20% off promotion and free ship on their site right now.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Did a few more restorations. I like restoring lots of antiques, but people have started to funnel Fans to me. There's actually a few barn-find Emerson's in St Louis as they were built here for almost a century. The engineering was/is impressive and their slogan is quite true " Built to Last"

My oldest is from 1920, so almost a century old at this point.

Here's one from early summer. Low Res Images this time.

Before
IMG_2396.JPG

After
Spoiler:

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_2413.JPG

IMG_0003.jpg

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Very nice man. I have similar visions with a couple National cash registers I have, but i've made very little progress so far.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
New garage. My old one is from 1940 and was ready for the bone yard.

Took them 2 months to demolish the old garage and put up the new one, but it's finally done:

https://imgur.com/a/CjhpaWT

Next on deck in a few years: solar paneling on the garage. (If the city allows it).

Last edited: