Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Important Capcom CPS2 Announcement

Cham Cham's Banana

Important Capcom CPS2 Announcement

Dear colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce a very important milestone in arcade conservation, the successful reverse engineering of Capcom's CPS2 security programming. A major development giving full hardware control of this popular platform over to the community, and helping preservation by enabling the clean desuicide and restoration of any dead games without hardware modifications.

This achievement has been made possible thanks to the help, support and collaboration of many dedicated individuals who just like you have an altruistic passion about arcade games, their hardware, history and legacy. All the discoveries and results generated by this project will be soon shared publicly, free of charge.

Over the coming days the project will see a limited release to selected testers to help ensure maturity before the public disclosure happens.

Stay tuned to further details.

The ArcadeHacker project
    http://arcadehacker.blogspot.com

CPS2 project credit goes to: Eduardo Cruz, Ian Court and Artemio Urbina, with the key collaboration of Digshadow, Ougun, Brizzo, Rockman, Tayoken, and the valuable donations by Juan Felix, Alberto Fuentes, Alex Cmaylo, Bill de Leo, Alexander Sch?z, Fran?is Lefebvre, Tormod Tjaberg, Felix Vazquez and Pau Oliva.

Choi's Barber

Very cool, Artemio! It seems like just yesterday Eduardo started the CPS2 project and now it's already completed. It's incredible that you guys have already solved the puzzle on restoring the keys to dead boards. I look forward to reading the blog posts on arcadehacker regarding the process.

Neo*Geomancer

Very exciting news! Thanks for all your hard work

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

This is indeed very nice news, thanks everybody for the hard work

Amano's Drinking Buddy

This is awesome, I'm very interested to see the details.
    Thanks in advance for the dedication and for sharing how to help preserve these games.

King's Dry Cleaner

Cool. Hope you guys see some returns on your work.

Hades Gate Keeper

CPS3 is next!

King's Bartender

Good work, guys!
    It's impossible to be a nice guy on the internet.

Fio's Quartermaster

Great to hear. Great work.

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Great stuff, its finally happened. I see C Urbina is mentioned, he had the official Capcom restoration kits.

Heh, silly me, I see Artemio made the original post.
    Well done sir.
    Last edited by Razoola; 04-30-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Nice work! I can't wait to see what you guys do next.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Awesome!
    Great achievement!
    Current SNK projects:
    - Samurai Spirits (Shodown) RPG English version for the NGCD:
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...nch-to-English)
    - AES to MVS converter (plays AES games on MVS):
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...-games-on-MVS)

Cool! Im sure we will see many RARE Original Battery Blue Progear boards for sell in the near future. Hurray!

Cheers.
    //////////////////ROBOTU$$IN SQUAD///||\\\DXM_MAFFIA\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\FUCK.WIT.US\\\\\\\

Robot Master.
    Master Tasuke
    Eat Your
    Heart Out Bro'

Holy shit!!!!! Immortality!!!!!! Great work guys!!!

highlander.gif
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

Cham Cham's Banana

Thanks for your kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    Great stuff, its finally happened. I see C Urbina is mentioned, he had the official Capcom restoration kits.

Heh, silly me, I see Artemio made the original post.
    Well done sir.
    Thanks a lot Raz, your work has always been an inspiration for me.

Regarding the Capcom stuff, I only had the cards and PDA, the contents only lead to information already in MAME: the keys themselves.

Mature's Make-Up Artist

Wow this is awesome! Thanks for sharing this with the public!

Dogg-Father

Exciting times!
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

Chang's Combo Meal #4

Noob question.

What exactly does this mean?

Beaten in 2017: Not a Damn thing! But the Year is Still Young.

Close to Completion:
    Bravely Default - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type - Ghost Pilots

[B]

SouthTown StreetSweeper

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    Noob question.

What exactly does this mean?
    It means the boards will be able to be put back to 'original' status. No decrypted roms, just the original encrypted rom set running.
    My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Pao Pao cafe VIP

This is great news, thanks for sharing!

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Yes it means just that. Board brought back to life the way Capcom do it (board will suicide again once the battery dies). It means people will now be able to bring back board to a set revision that does not have a phoenix edition for example. Also means if you own the hardware to do this you have access to all sets in MAME.

Im guessing someone may make a new multidevice using this to support all games though I am not sure how long the official reprogramming takes. It might still be faster to use the method I suggested of holding an encrypted and decrypted program ROMs together. Darksoft missed out big time not doing that with his device and severly limited the games his device could play compared to the games available. Im guessing this news might make darksofts CPS2 device obsolete and I would not be surprised if he does not make a new version if no one else does it first.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Another Striker

Yes it means just that. Board brought back to life the way Capcom do it (board will suicide again once the battery dies). It means people will now be able to bring back board to a set revision that does not have a phoenix edition for example. Also means if you own the hardware to do this you have access to all sets in MAME.

Im guessing someone may make a new multidevice using this to support all games though I am not sure how long the official reprogramming takes. It might still be faster to use the method I suggested of holding an encrypted and decrypted program ROMs together. Darksoft missed out big time not doing that with his device and severly limited the games his device could play compared to the games available. Im guessing this news might make darksofts CPS2 device obsolete and I would not be surprised if he does not make a new version if no one else does it first.
    Anything to keep you slap-fighting, lightweight...

Kyo's Flame

Rad, anybody want to sell me back my USA progear kit? (Didn't have matching serials)

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

sill question(s) from someone new to CPS2:

1) Aren't the people that make $$$ doing Phoenix repairs also out of business now?
    2) Is there something unique about what darksoft is doing that prevents him from doing a firmware update to do something like:
    - load encypted ROMs into RAM
    - read encyption key from encyption database file
    - program encyption key into Z80
    - start the game

Unless theres some sort of physical limitation (encypted ROM needs more space than on board or his FPGA doesnt have enough blocks for this new logic) Why cant this be done?

3) For Darksoft. does it matter? people that run his device, do they care about encypted/decypted? or are the encypted ROMs sonehow better?

King's Bartender

From IDC on the Arcade-projects forum:

Quote Originally Posted by idc','http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/1136-important-capcom-cps2-announcement/&postID=13015#post13015
    Incidentally, a CPS2 Multi (proto 2) did play a part in this. I had it loaded with original encrypted Capcom ROM images on a board with a battery. I used it to test dozens of key loading attempts for various regional variants of many different games. All ran successfully.
    Looks like the CPS2 multi was instrumental in making this happen much more quickly. Furthermore, mitsurugi has already confirmed that this announcement wont affect the use of the multiboard.
    It's impossible to be a nice guy on the internet.

Thread Information