CPS2 Conversion

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Ok guys, this is driving me crazy.
I had a dead MvC board and decided to convert the thing to a progear. Video is fine but all i get is some sound effects and about half of the music which is tinny and scratchy (including the Q sound jingle)

I've checked all jumpers with a multimeter and they check out fine.

Here's where it gets weird. This board had seals on it from capcom, a PALG chip in PAL3 but underneath it had a wire patched from pin 9 of the PAL to pin 13 of CN5

The board is a REV 4

Now I thought this was done by capcom to trick a board into thinking a PALF was a PALG so no idea why they would have had to do this.

I've tried the following:

Leave the patch wire in place, lift leg 7 and wired that to CN1 pin 13 (assuming the PALG chip was reflashed a PALF from capcom)

Leave the patch wire in place , lift leg 9 and wired that to CN1 pin 13

I've also done the same two things with the patch wire from underneath the board removed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Ok guys, this is driving me crazy.
I had a dead MvC board and decided to convert the thing to a progear. Video is fine but all i get is some sound effects and about half of the music which is tinny and scratchy (including the Q sound jingle)

I've checked all jumpers with a multimeter and they check out fine.

Here's where it gets weird. This board had seals on it from capcom, a PALG chip in PAL3 but underneath it had a wire patched from pin 9 of the PAL to pin 13 of CN5

The board is a REV 4

Now I thought this was done by capcom to trick a board into thinking a PALF was a PALG so no idea why they would have had to do this.

I've tried the following:

Leave the patch wire in place, lift leg 7 and wired that to CN1 pin 13 (assuming the PALG chip was reflashed a PALF from capcom)

Leave the patch wire in place , lift leg 9 and wired that to CN1 pin 13

I've also done the same two things with the patch wire from underneath the board removed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Try wiring leg 9 to CN3 pin 13 instead from the top of the board. I know it is supposed to be the same, but I had issues with doing leg 9 to CN1 pin 13 on the bottom of the board.

Also verify all your 27c322's again.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Verify that the jumpers are correct and none are incorrectly bridged, but the sound issues are usually a PAL issue. pics of your wiring job, as well as the top of the board would be appreciated.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Try wiring leg 9 to CN3 pin 13 instead from the top of the board. I know it is supposed to be the same, but I had issues with doing leg 9 to CN1 pin 13 on the bottom of the board.

Also verify all your 27c322's again.

Thanks man I should have been more specific , but i meant i left the capcom patch wire in place underneath, but on top i lifted the leg off the pal and connected it to pin 13 of CN3 up top as well.

I will say keeping the capcom patch wire off makes things much better, it's very close to being there but something is off.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
nWzfvoe.jpg

6RGKiz4.jpg

The burnt flux doesn't look great I know but everything checks out with the meter.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Did the sound work fine when it was a MvC board? Does EPROM 1/11/12 verify okay?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah it worked fine as MvC. I'm going to send the board to someone who can verify the roms at this point.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
The patch wire it came with was to make MVC work, since it requires a G pal. Progear also uses a G pal so you should have just left it as is, pal and wire.

If you had issues with it like that, it's probably a jumper or ROM issue.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah the more I thought about it that could have been the case, but I triple checked the jumpers. At this point it could be the roms.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Well the graphics jumpers are fine (jp14-jp29). The jumpers that need checking are jp 1 - jp13 (excluding jp7). If these check out then it is probably the EPROMs.