SNK PLAYMORE changes its name to SNK

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Is there any good reason why the guy with the Godzilla avatar is bumping old threads

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Well, this is the best news I have heard in 15 damn years!! I know they won't come back to the Neo-Geo which is a shame, but I know if they were to produce games on it like NGDevTeam does, and after releasing about 500-600 copies of each game like NGDev does, then they can release the same game on new gen hardware, they could easily make bank! I don't see why not, as nobody is dumping the NGDev games, and they are making their own money releasing on the Neo , then on other systems, SNK can do the same. OR SNK can make a brand new Neo-Geo system just for old school gamers with all new hardware, more colors, more sprites, etc... call it the Neo-Geo 2, (NO, not the damn Dreamcast or that other machine they used that nobody bought), and then make games on it, and port to PS4, Steam, Nintendo, and Android afterward. It would be good money, and make ALL their real fans happy in the end.

May we explore things a bit here?

SNK makes money. We get the games. (and then of course transplant them ourselves to their proper homes after the fact)

This man is a god damn genius!! This is the best idea EVER!!

Last edited:

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Their market is also significantly smaller, as is their company. They're not a big time operation and they exist strictly to provide product to one type of customer.

No one but the highest tier collectards are going to spend $500 (or worse, 500 Euros) for an official reproduction cart for games that have been out for 20+ years.

Also, costs to make cartridges are not dirt cheap. Ask NG: Dev. The "Chinese way of making things" is also a low quality one that's prone to issues and failures (see any XXX in 1 cart).

There's a reason why companies like Nintendo, SEGA, etc. don't produce retro cartridge games.

SNK needs to made a big splash in the digital distribution market with mobile (which they have with Metal Slug Defense and Attack) and modern platforms like the PS4 and PC. "The Future Is Now" and all that.

They could still release it on carts, just make a new metal slug game for example and release it as downloadable title on PS4, PC etc. And for collectors they can buy it on the Neo Geo AES

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
They could still release it on carts, just make a new metal slug game for example and release it as downloadable title on PS4, PC etc. And for collectors they can buy it on the Neo Geo AES

Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen.

They're not going to develop new games with Neo-Geo as the base hardware, as would be required in order to release a game on an AES cart. Its clear that their direction is modern games on modern consoles, as it should be.

People just need to accept that the system is dead outside of one or two good home brew developers.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Not this shit again.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Pretty good ideas going on in this thread.

Soon Sega, Nintendo, Atari, SNK, and others will start producing new games on old hardware and releasing new cartridges. I don't see any other option. I mean why would they want to produce games that they could sell as a download? It makes way more business sense if they manufactured and shipped out new cartridges for old systems instead of just selling them for the same price as a download..... wait, no it wouldn't.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Pretty good ideas going on in this thread.

Soon Sega, Nintendo, Atari, SNK, and others will start producing new games on old hardware and releasing new cartridges. I don't see any other option. I mean why would they want to produce games that they could sell as a download? It makes way more business sense if they manufactured and shipped out new cartridges for old systems instead of just selling them for the same price as a download..... wait, no it wouldn't.

It's obvious man. They want to spend thousands on tooling, molds, offset printing, and other production costs to produce a limited run of games that wouldn't ever be able to turn a profit. It's not about making money anymore man, it's about making the fans who can't let go have more plastic conversation starters.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

LOL

Holy shit.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I know! Split the difference and put it on the Taito Type X2... or better yet the Atomiswave! We can make them go bankrupt in no time asking for stupid crap that will make them no money... or be happy they can make some new games no matter how it's released.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I had no ideal SNK was back in Torrance, maybe out of curiosity I should take a look like I did at their old building last they were stationed here. Of course I know it is just a office building meant for a legal presence only, I am not expecting the old SNK of the 90.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen.

They're not going to develop new games with Neo-Geo as the base hardware, as would be required in order to release a game on an AES cart. Its clear that their direction is modern games on modern consoles, as it should be.

People just need to accept that the system is dead outside of one or two good home brew developers.

i never said its going to happen, just that it can work from a business standpoint