SNK PLAYMORE changes its name to SNK

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

Because it makes zero logical, and above all, financial sense to do so.

That old hardware would be pretty damn expensive to produce, and there's no way in hell they'd get enough sales for it to justify the expense. Its clear that they have much better, cheaper, and easier systems to deliver their classic titles on. Don't let your retro goggles cloud your judgment. There's plenty of old AES consoles and MVS boards out there for you to get your retro rocks off to.

People seem to forget that cartridges existed back then out of necessity, not because they were cool.

Last edited:

-EvilRyu-

n00b
Because it makes zero logical, and above all, financial sense to do so.

That old hardware would be pretty damn expensive to produce, and there's no way in hell they'd get enough sales for it to justify the expense. Its clear that they have much better, cheaper, and easier systems to deliver their classic titles on. Don't let your retro goggles cloud your judgment. There's plenty of old AES consoles and MVS boards out there for you to get your retro rocks off to.

People seem to forget that cartridges existed back then out of necessity, not because they were cool.

pretty damn expensive to produce, ok. But make an example:
they produce MS1 AES .
cost = 200€
sale= 500€
profit= 300€

now a MS1 digital copy cost around 10€

do u still think it makes zero logical, and financial sense to do so?

i dunno

xorthen

Banned
I doubt it costs much to produce a few boards and chips. Things are cheap nowadays.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
The Future Is Now.... Again.

But seriously, KoF XIV was in development since the end of XIII and this Chinese investment could be what SNK needs to get back up on its feet. Especially considering the recently lifted Chinese console ban and the popularity of SNK titles there.

I am excited because they're talking about ressurecting older IPs and focusing on fighting games again.

Idk with Capcom falling hard with SFV, SNK could really steal the show this year.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you think this means this company is going to reproduce home carts and systems, I need a hit of what youre on.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
And what do you get from being so pessimistic?

The good thing about being pessimistic is that you are either proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

they produce MS1 AES .
cost = 200€
sale= 500€
profit= 300€

i dunno

Collectors will not want a "remaster" of MS1. They want the real deal, 20-year old cart. A remaster would not make sense IMHO.

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
they produce MS1 AES .
cost = 200€
sale= 500€
profit= 300€

i dunno

Cost of digital copy = close to $0. There is no inventory or production risk when distributing digital games.

The lower price point also makes it accessible to a way larger audience. How many people are willing to drop 500 euro on a 20 year old game vs. willing to drop a few bucks on a fun mobile title?

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
are you forgetting that a non-official company like NG Dev Team sells out AES stuff in hours? Imagine how crazy people would get if ORIGINAL SNK decide to make any kind of AES reproduction. Costs nowadays are dirty cheap, counting with chinese way of making things.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
are you forgetting that a non-official company like NG Dev Team sells out AES stuff in hours? Imagine how crazy people would get if ORIGINAL SNK decide to make any kind of AES reproduction. Costs nowadays are dirty cheap, counting with chinese way of making things.

You're missing the point of what people are paying big money for when it comes to NG Dev titles.

Originals.

If SNK bashed out 50,000 new slug 1's they wouldn't be the real deal to collectors, and they wouldn't be worth $500 to people who just want to play it, so they'd be fucking useless.

Edit - though if they used the exact original printing and production methods it would be quite amusing to see the loupes and wave soldering scrutiny suddenly useless, and whole threads dedicated to staple rust analysis.

Last edited:

Elder

NEST Puppet
I just heard about this, and am very pleased to see not only the old logo return, but also the tagline. I hope everything turns out for them :D

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

Their market is also significantly smaller, as is their company. They're not a big time operation and they exist strictly to provide product to one type of customer.

No one but the highest tier collectards are going to spend $500 (or worse, 500 Euros) for an official reproduction cart for games that have been out for 20+ years.

Also, costs to make cartridges are not dirt cheap. Ask NG: Dev. The "Chinese way of making things" is also a low quality one that's prone to issues and failures (see any XXX in 1 cart).

There's a reason why companies like Nintendo, SEGA, etc. don't produce retro cartridge games.

SNK needs to made a big splash in the digital distribution market with mobile (which they have with Metal Slug Defense and Attack) and modern platforms like the PS4 and PC. "The Future Is Now" and all that.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
LOL they change their name and suddenly people think they're gonna start making Neo Geo carts again. Put your nerd boners away because that will never happen.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
Ask yourself how many people own an AES, compare to how many own a PS4. Do the math, and stop begging for them to go bankrupt again.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
KOF14 is looking good. Will it get a physical release, or just digital? What is release date? Hopefully we get other SNK games besides KOF.

xorthen

Banned
The good thing about being pessimistic is that you are either proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

Collectors will not want a "remaster" of MS1. They want the real deal, 20-year old cart. A remaster would not make sense IMHO.
Collectors are morons. Reproduction all day. It's unreasonable to demand so much money for a game.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Collectors are morons. Reproduction all day. It's unreasonable to demand so much money for a game.

I notice you ignored the part where the production costs for carts would be very high. There's a reason NG Dev has to price their games extremely high, it's because quality boards, shells and snaplock cases costs a lot of money. That and they have bills to pay too.

Going by the one guy's comment, $200 production cost sold for $500 = $300 profit, nobody is gonna pay $500. You'd see a few people around the $300 mark, a lot more around $200. That already makes the production of carts not worth it.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
Just hoping it's a sign that they will put some quility in the brand again. Fuck the pachislo and that shit. But Neo? Pfft.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The thing about making new carts is it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to get production up and running again. When a new game is produced, scarcity becomes zero, and the theoretical Slug value tanks. The last few US releases that were sold in the Neostore had runs of about 500 each, and most of them sat for a long time before selling out at the relatively low price of $280ish if I remember correctly.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
20160426-kofxiv-05.jpg