Need region free bios for JVC X'EYE

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Need one of these and it seems the file doesn't exist anymore. Help me.

Burned on a chip would be best but I can probably make a file work.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If you already have a toggle switch in place for the cartridge regions, I would get an eprom large enough to fit the both USA and JP bios and tie the high address line to the toggle switch. I did this to my x'eye ages ago and it worked.

Kiel

20 Year Member
If you already have a toggle switch in place for the cartridge regions, I would get an eprom large enough to fit the both USA and JP bios and tie the high address line to the toggle switch. I did this to my x'eye ages ago and it worked.

Not yet but I will have a switch for the carts, inquiring minds would like to know more...

leonk

Marked Wolf
A few months ago I acquired an X'Eye with corrupt bios. I ended burning an EPROM with the region free and installing it. Too bad SOP EPROM's with that pinout don't exist. JVC made these ROMs custom made!

Here's what I had to do:

F3CE5B2C-B71A-44C8-A2A6-B2E09F3C9A26.jpg

Kiel

20 Year Member
Ugh, this is what I have to look forward to huh?

Also did you make a thread about this on assembler?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I've done something similar, when there's too many wires I did a custom PCB that I could screw into the board and I didn't have to worry about desoldering SM chips. Also, you can do the neobiosmasta way too.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Why leave a dead bios chip behind. A hot air reflow station can remove the old chip in a few seconds.

Kiel

20 Year Member
SOmebody get me an easy solution:envy:

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
A few months ago I acquired an X'Eye with corrupt bios. I ended burning an EPROM with the region free and installing it. Too bad SOP EPROM's with that pinout don't exist. JVC made these ROMs custom made!
Can you provide the pinout here?
I would be most useful for others.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Can you provide the pinout here?
I would be most useful for others.

It's been a while.. but I do believe it's pin for pin the same. For some crazy reason, JVC created a BIOS ROM chip (SOP) using the standard DIP pinout! There doesn't exist a SOP EPROM one can burn and solder in place of the SOP ROM! It uses the standard 27C1024 pinout. It's the exact same BIOS chip that one can find in the standard Sega CD devices .. but Sega used DIP in their CD units.

I think this is very similar to what Neo Geo did with their late model MVS 1-slots. They moved from DIP to SOP and if you want to install a unibios, you need to do something very similar to my picture above.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Some other advise (based on spending a lot of time trying to bring this X'Eye to life), one can use a standard Sega CD 2 service manual to fix an X'Eye.. they're very similar (I never found a PDF of the X'Eye). The BIOS is a very cleaver thing. The console detects that no cart is inserted, so it boots the BIOS chip. You can technically burn a game onto the 27C1024, and if no cart is inserted, the game will start. :)

I believed I used the service manual to trace every one of the 40 pins back to the Sega main processor that sits next to the BIOS and figured out it's standard 27C1024 pinout.