PSP Ballers post here

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'm not much of a baller when it comes to the PSP but I am sure some of you guys are. Post up bitches!

Also general question - as far as emulation goes, is the d-pad on a PSP Go any nicer than the traditional models?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm not much of a baller when it comes to the PSP but I am sure some of you guys are. Post up bitches!

Also general question - as far as emulation goes, is the d-pad on a PSP Go any nicer than the traditional models?

Slightly better, but if you have meat hooks like mine, holding the system cramps your hands really quick.(Especially if you need the shoulder buttons).

EG and I had the PSP 1000 dpads modded back in the day and they worked amazing, especially for games like Vampire that have zero forgiveness on input.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks DZ, I actually have tiny hands (not as bad as Trump) but I am fine playing a GBA SP and even Micro for awhile. But I need to look into this 1000 mod.

Still may want to snag a Go though since looks like you can get them fairly cheap nowadays. Might be fun just to tinker with.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Thanks DZ, I actually have tiny hands (not as bad as Trump) but I am fine playing a GBA SP and even Micro for awhile. But I need to look into this 1000 mod.

Still may want to snag a Go though since looks like you can get them fairly cheap nowadays. Might be fun just to tinker with.

Yeah if you can handle micro for more then 15 minutes, then you should be good with the go.

The mod we did was add a couple extra layers of plastic behind the dpad. We used a nes sleeve if I remember correctly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The PSP 3000 has a pretty nice dpad on it, I'd just grab one of those over modding a 1000. I used to play Street Fighter Alpha on it with no troubles pulling off the moves.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The PSP 3000 has a pretty nice dpad on it, I'd just grab one of those over modding a 1000. I used to play Street Fighter Alpha on it with no troubles pulling off the moves.

3 Upper has a bit of give and take with command inputs. Try playing Darkstalkers on it.and pulling off a super and well talk. The dpad on on the 3000 is really no different then the old models.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was playing PS1 SF Alpha 1, I'm not a huge fan of 3. And I disagree, as an owner of both models there is a world of difference between the dpads.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I was playing PS1 SF Alpha 1, I'm not a huge fan of 3. And I disagree, as an owner of both models there is a world of difference between the dpads.

I've owned multiple version of 5 models and I've only seen slight upgrades between the og and go models. The K(?) model has the far superior dpad to them all but they are next too impossible to source which is why I don't recommend them.

Granted I've never done a side by side comparison, so perhaps since you have, you're correct.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
PSP was my favorite handheld until the Vita came out. The 2000 model is probably my favorite. My games are all over the place and about half are at my parents house along with my red God of War console, white Star Wars Battlefront one, and my PSP kiosk.

U.S. systems:

Japanese systems:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I love my PSP. Had a 2000 but gave it to my younger cousin when the 3000 came out so now I play that.

Crush is my favorite game on the system. Fucking amazing puzzle platformer.

Also dig Twisted Metal Head On, GTA Vice City Stories, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Chinatown Wars, the Patapon series, LocoRoco series, Wipeout series, Crisis Core, the two God of War games, FF Tactics War of the Lions, DBZ Shin Budokai series, etc.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
The PSP 1000 build quality was amazing compared to pspgo or my GoW psp 2000. I miss my psp1000.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah if you can handle micro for more then 15 minutes, then you should be good with the go.

The mod we did was add a couple extra layers of plastic behind the dpad. We used a nes sleeve if I remember correctly.
We did, it was a NES sleeve, fun times, well worth the effort to mod it.

I still have my PSP1000 and the 3000 I got from you. Love my PSP, favorite games, well Ridge Racer and the GOW games. Fighters wise...I suck with a D-Pad so my opinion is biased towards GGXXAC+ 'cause it plays pretty smooth, very forgiving and no need for L button which is a god send for me as I cannot use the L and D-Pad simultaneously. The second Ghoulies (JP Only) plays awesome.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
The awesome thing about the PSP (or crappy thing about Vita depending on your perspective) is that the PSP versions of Sony staples like Ridge Racer, Wipeout, God of War etc are much much better than their Vita sequels/counterparts. As a result the PSP gets way more play time from me than the Vita.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Gonna make a double post coz that's how I roll when I on my phone.

So although i have a PSP 3000 I was thinking about getting one specifically for cfw and emulation - hence my comments/interest in s Go. Many moons ago I had a modded 1000 and the cool thing was I think I could play some shmups in Tate mode relatively comfortably - but I wouldn't be able to do that with a Go. And if I am using this thing primarily for the roms then that is a big drawback - so I think I made up my mind :)

Go is a no go...

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

So although i have a PSP 3000 I was thinking about getting one specifically for cfw and emulation - hence my comments/interest in s Go. Many moons ago I had a modded 1000 and the cool thing was I think I could play some shmups in Tate mode relatively comfortably - but I wouldn't be able to do that with a Go. And if I am using this thing primarily for the roms then that is a big drawback - so I think I made up my mind :)

Go is a no go...

The whole installing a cfw thing is gone now. You dump a few folders on a memory card, boot the system, select a file, and the system reboots in a cfw, shut it off and it goes back to stock.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
How long have I been asleep? ;)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I am by no means a baller but I have a 2K. Lots of great JRPG remakes like Star Ocean 1+2 and Lunar.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Just jailbroke my PSP 1000 last weekend. Took all of five minutes? It was on the latest official firmware too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The awesome thing about the PSP (or crappy thing about Vita depending on your perspective) is that the PSP versions of Sony staples like Ridge Racer, Wipeout, God of War etc are much much better than their Vita sequels/counterparts. As a result the PSP gets way more play time from me than the Vita.

Absolutely, I was thrilled when I could finally load Ridge Racer on my Vita. It's one of my favorite portable games ever.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

Go is a no go...

There's a way to hook up a PS3 controller to a psp go if it'll help you out. I know I had configured an emulator to work great in tate, but I only have a 1000 and a 3000.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Yea I use a soft CFW, so it has to be ran every time you fully power down. But running with categories and having 32gb of space is awesome... Too bad lunar 2 constantly freezes on my pspgo.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'd still would like to get a PSP Go at some point but mostly for emulation, the D-Pad looks legit and Wes swore by it for fighters so...

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Uh oh got to take some pics now.

Genki

n00b
I have a couple 2000s both with CFW. One as spare and one I use a lot for emulation. The hand held isn't very good with big hands I have but it plays OK and plays most emulator quite well. I wanted to play with C64 but no one made external keyboard add on (one was planned but never materialized) and using on screen keyboard is messy with some games that needs quick action or reflexes. Would it be possible to get a small basic USB keyboard and make it work on PSP? PSP does have USB port and I would think somehow it can be used for external keyboard and add in keyboard HID driver to make PSP work with the keyboard?

One of my PSP has a nice Sony branded 2200mAh battery and extended battery cover to accommodate larger battery. Still get about 9 hours of playing time at best with wifi off. The other one has a chinese made "3000mAh" battery that gets about 2 hours at full charge. :D Probably typed in an extra zero by "mistake" to try and outsell those cheap knock off 2000mAh batteries.