I joined a gym...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Working out in the evening, jogging in the morning or riding on my mountain bike during the day on weekends. I have to mix training methods or else it becomes too boring. Another mistake is to overdo it. Then the lack of motivation will get you. One of those methods listed above, two times a week is enough for me. The secret is not to miss on those two times.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I joined a local club for two reasons:

-Indoor comp length pool
-Indoor 12th mile track

I cannot train for a tri any other way and fuck a treadmill in the winter. Now that they New Year flas in the pan members have stopped coming, it's back down to the normal group.

Now...if I can just stop getting fucking sick...I went right from an inner ear infection to super-flu-2000 this week...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Sleep deprivation works for me.

Even if they say nothing, they ARE judging you. Most people there are chill about it, but if you do reps too fast the vets will chuckle about it. If you're fatter then someone they'll be happier they're not you. If you're a bigger guy and work out harder on cardio then a bunch will amp it up because of inferiority complex (Also works the opposite. Weights and the smaller guy. Fun to watch). I could make a thread just about that with how much judging goes on there that most seem to be oblivious to.

Fact is most people in the gyms are at least a little competitive. It's why you go. To find motivation in groups. If this isn't the case then having a home gym is much easier, and unless you are a crazy gymrat or have zero space, cheaper.

I don't know, I guess I don't go to a gym to be competitive. I'm 6'4" and thin, even at my height of working out almost daily lifting, there was only so much mass I could put on. I'll never be a huge dude so I don't go to the gym to get motivated by larger gains. Actually, I usually prefer to go at slower times just because it's less busy and you get to know the other regulars. I've also never seen any of the regulars, trainers or staff mocking anyone else. Although there is a dude that works out in jeans and steel toed work boots, he gets some looks every now and again. And personally when I see a first timer, or a fat person just starting with a trainer I'm not judging them, I'm glad they're there to improve themselves. However, if I see a fat fuck stuffing their face with cheeseburgers at a restaurant, I tend to have different thoughts.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I've been in and out of gyms since I was 6 years old. Most of the shit is old hat to me. The best people you'll find are there to get their shit done and can give a fuck about anyone. They do exist, but sadly are the minority. Nobody focuses in on some dude and makes fun of them all day. When it happens it may only be.a quick glance or maybe a quick comment to a friend. If you don't know what you're looking at you'll probably miss it. It's better to stay ignorant.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Just to help the thread. Got weighed last month when I went to the doc when I was sick and had to go yesterday to get blood work done. I'm down 12 lbs in a month. I was more happy that my blood pressure was pretty normal. Considering my former asshole doc wanted to stick me on blood pressure medication for the rest of my life it's a good feeling.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Even if they say nothing, they ARE judging you. Most people there are chill about it, but if you do reps too fast the vets will chuckle about it. If you're fatter then someone they'll be happier they're not you. If you're a bigger guy and work out harder on cardio then a bunch will amp it up because of inferiority complex (Also works the opposite. Weights and the smaller guy. Fun to watch). I could make a thread just about that with how much judging goes on there that most seem to be oblivious to.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't give two single fucks who is at the gym unless someone is on a machine that I want. Otherwise, if someone feels they're being judged, that just says more about themselves than the people around them. Everyone is always focused on themselves, which is of course, human nature.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Tuesday April 19, 2016
224lbs

My goal is to get back down to under 200lbs by July. Im going to push for 185lbs.

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016
218.2lbs

Been going to the gym about 3 to 4 days a week. My diet has been hit & miss but i was still able to lose some weight. So far Planet Fitness isn't as bad as i've read. Its gotten a bit busy but still able to get my workout.

What do you guys recommend a 3 to 4 day workout plan? I go Monday-Thursday. (Please take note, this is in planet fitness so most are machines)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
30-45 minutes elliptical every single day before breakfast. precor EFX 833

no animal fat, bread, liquid sugar or alcohol

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
What do you guys recommend a 3 to 4 day workout plan?

To go more than that?

Edit: okay I admit I was being a smart ass, but I also am being serious. Go 5 to 6 if you have many pounds to lose... which you do.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
To go more than that?

Edit: okay I admit I was being a smart ass, but I also am being serious. Go 5 to 6 if you have many pounds to lose... which you do.

3 to 4 days is only time i can go to the gym. I can work out at home though...Just need advice what to do during the 3-4 days i have access to the gym.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
3 to 4 days is only time i can go to the gym. I can work out at home though...Just need advice what to do during the 3-4 days i have access to the gym.

The fact that you can find three days to go to the gym is a fucking miracle. Seriously, I wish I could buy extra time.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
cardio on an empty stomach..

when you're not at the gym? calorie restriction

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
calorie restriction

no way man:

1) work your ass off at the gym

2) grow those muscles

3) increase your metabolic rate and fit your macros and you're good

caloric restrictions aren't needed

just hard ass work and smart food choices

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
yes thats true, but idk if HDRChampion is gonna lift heavy

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
http://stronglifts.com/

start at 0 (just the bar) and increase by 5 lbs every other week

nice & slow but it WILL work especially if its the first time

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
yes thats true, but idk if HDRChampion is gonna lift heavy

weight don't matter

intensity and consistency matter

lean muscle or bulk muscle... all muscle in the end and it needs its food all the same

people are always in a rush to get fit when they realize they're unfit and want to change

try to think about it as a lifelong thing and don't play into thinking you need to be at certain point of physicality at a certain time

head over to bodybuilding.com and browse their workout plans and find something you like

focus on doing the work as hard as you can and as consistently as you can and before you know it routine makes its way into normalcy and you'll wonder how you ever lived without the iron in your life

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Thanks, but really i just need a workout routine. I understand caloric deficet & what foods i need to eat. I was able to lose 80lbs last year just by doing cardio & eating in caloric defcit. I really did not lift weights but now i want implement it this time around.

So for example:

Monday - Chest - Bench, incline, flys what is another workout i can do or is 3 enough for chest? Then what's another targeted body part triceps or biceps?
Tuesday - Back - Dead lift & then i just go looking at the pictures on the Smith Machines that show back muscles & do 2 or 3 of those.
Wednesday - Leg - Squats, leg press, & another smith machine & calves.
Thursday - Shoulders - whatever smith machine has shoulders.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Good on you man. Getting back to the gym is sometimes hard to do, but while most people here will say cutting back on food is key, I tend to disagree. Though I will agree eating healthy is key, and reducing the amount of processed foods you intake (definitely cut out soda), I think the best results for losing the pounds and body-shaping is: consistency in a routine like you've said. Obviously don't over do it on the calories count. But cutting back on the calories isn't always the best answer especially if you're consistently being active. You need those calories for your body to replenish the damage you're putting it through by working out, as well, with doing lots of routine activity and eating enough to counter it, you'll balance your metabolism which is something that'll help keep your body from storing fat.

RE your regimen:
First, I think a 3 day rest is too much. But if you are set on it, I'd would say at least add a 5th day of just doing straight cardio, no weights. Something like the row machine that has a high intensity effort, but without having to spend as much time as running or going on the bike machine.
I'd also recommend doubling up on the isolation days, targeting the major muscle groups -- 2 days of Chest, 2 of Back, then put Legs and Shoulders together in one day. That way you are giving your muscles only a day to recoup before you tear them up again. If you wait too long between workouts, your rate of results will be slow and it'll take you longer to increase weights 'cause your body gets too complacent and you want to be keeping a consistent muscle-breakdown.

For Chest days, I like to pair biceps with chest exercises because most chest exercises will work the tri's anyway and I don't want my chest exercises to suffer due to tired triceps. Same with Back days, I pair triceps with them so to offset the workouts.

3 - 4 Chest workouts are good. With the flys I'd recommend doing Fly Bench Presses with Twisting your wrists inwards on extension. Like this:
5-must-do-chest-exercises-180-twist-dumbbell-bench.jpg

You don't need to use heavy dumbells for this exercise, 'cause it puts a little strain on your wrists, start off light. This exercise will target the inner pectorals, something that a lot of guys neglect. Bench exercises work your outer pecs more, the area closer to your armpits, while this twisting action will force your chest to "squeeze" as you turn the dumbells inward.

Back: Dead lifts are fine and dandy, but I would recommend using the cable machine for a couple Rotator Cuff exercises (there are dumbell variations on these as well). The Rotator is another muscle that gets very little love, and is one of the most important small muscles your body uses for stabilizing when you're lifting things. Having strong Rotator Cuffs will help prevent injuries when exercising anything upper-body, as well it helps add good definition to your scapula area.
These two are great:
external-cable-rotation.jpg

cable-scarecrow-rotation.jpg

Legs: Squats, quad press, and calf presses are good. But do not neglect your hamstrings. You need to balance your quad and hamstring exercises to prevent injury. These two muscles are the biggest on your legs and the work together, like tri's and biceps. If using the hammy curl machine is too difficult at the beginning, I recommend adding Lunges to your leg workouts. Carry a couple dumbells and lunge forward, down to almost touching your knee to the ground (but not touching) then stand back up.
man-doing-lunges.jpg

These are awesome for working multiple muscles in your legs, including quads, hammies, groin and calves.

For Shoulders there are 3 exercises I recommend for getting those Dwayne Howard shoulders:

Arnold's (made famous by the Governator himself)
Arnold-Press-2.jpg

Works the middle and posterior deltoid (shoulder) muscles.

Incline-bench reverse flys
7-rear-delt-raise-variations-for-maximum-growth-graphic-3.jpg

Great for anterior shoulder muscles

Incline Front raises
erin-sterns-elite-body-day-5-chest-and-shoulders-graphics-1-reskin-1.jpg

This picture shows her going passed proper form though, don't go further than parallel-to-the-ground to avoid injury. These are excellent for working out the interior deltoid (yet another small muscle that gets neglected), and helps round out your shoulders more in conjunction with the other shoulder exercises.

Start off with lower weight if you're unable to get through a set. These shoulder ones can be pretty difficult to get started on, especially the Incline Front Raises.

One more thing I like to do is right before my cooldown and stretching in every workout, I sneak in some sit-ups, just so the stomach muscles doesn't get left behind.

I really hope this gives you some ideas for your workouts, and mad respect for wanting to transform yourself: it's all about staying consistent. My workouts usually last me about 1 hour if I'm not dilly-dallying and straight business-like in the gym. Add maybe 15 extra mins for cooldown/stretching. For reference I'm a 6 foot, lean 165 pounder. :buttrock:

Attachments

• 483914_10151574196373373_594287491_n.jpg
    483914_10151574196373373_594287491_n.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 64

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
This is what I'm looking for thanks.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I couldn't disagree more. I don't give two single fucks who is at the gym unless someone is on a machine that I want. Otherwise, if someone feels they're being judged, that just says more about themselves than the people around them. Everyone is always focused on themselves, which is of course, human nature.

Personally I am in your boat. I can give a crap about anybody at the gym. However this is also why I have no problems working out at home. When you work out 3-4 days a week every week for years it gets monotonous. So much so you are looking for muses.

I got to a point where I was maxing on the treadmill at 8mph and rested at 5mph and thought what's next? I can easily go to the max 10mph, when you develop your lungs and legs for running it felt kinda becomes pointless moving up to the max. So, I looked for muses. I challenged my 120lbs friend on the treadmill (think I was 250-270lbs then) and got smoked since he could stay running at 10mph the whole time easily. Then I looked at what other people were doing and sometimes did just a little more then they did. Some felt annoyed, some wanted to challenge by one upping (which became kinda fun).

Point is going in groups are what motivates a lot of people. If it didn't, and it was just about the equipment, a lot more people would do it at home. Unfortunately making fun of people is also human nature. I don't like it, but it's a part of it. Do people come up and make fun of you like it's high school, no, but it's there.

Half this shit I see all the time and never gave a shit about it. Makes me wonder why it's youtube worthy.