Star Fox Zero

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
+1 for Other M.

Really enjoyed how the game looked and played. I was hoping the criticisms would be addressed and a better sequel released, but this will never happen. Shame as the on-foot gameplay was amazing. That avoiding dash was so satisfying to pull off...

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I finished one playthrough.

Meh. Disappointing.

There wasn't nearly enough arwing action. Landmaster tank sections were mostly tolerable, however.

Barrel rolling is awkward with the right stick. It's better if you throw out previous games' conventions of double tapping one shoulder button and instead quickly move the right stick left then right or vice versa for the most reliable barrel roll.

The boss battles suck dick. There's a reimagining of the very first Star Fox boss from the first course in the first game. It goes all range mode, and it's godawful.

The Andross battle I encountered (don't know if there are multiple paths to Venom with different final boss battles like in the first two games) was completely and totally balls. I just wanted it to be over.

The game repeats way too much dialog from Star Fox 64. Be your own game, Star Fox Zero. Holy shit.

I know there are levels I haven't played, but I honestly don't care to ever go and discover them like I did with Star Fox 64 so many years ago.

I haven't tried Star Fox Guard yet. The shrinkwrap's still on it.

Perhaps the best thing I can say about my whole Star Fox Zero experience so far is that I got a Star Fox patch from Gamestop for preordering it. I don't know how to sew, so it'll just languish in the game's case forever, but at least it looks cool.

This might be the very first unmitigated disaster from Platinum Games.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I picked it up mainly because I liked all Star Fox games. Played through the first level...Other than your damn team members telling you constantly to use the motion control to get a better aim, it was fun. Controls are really tough to get used to, but once you get it down, it's fun.

I'd like it even more if there was a more customizable control scheme. The Wii U tablet has so many buttons, they could've allowed the player to customize them. The whole forced to use motion control is annoying.

I found Metroid: Other M sealed the other day for $10. I've played about 5 mins on a friend's copy, I might need to get back into it. It was fun for what I played.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You don't give a fuck about video games, yet you have almost 30k posts on a video game forum?

What? This place isn't about video games, who the fuck told you that!?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Hm... The game's still kind of balls, but try pressing select during gameplay. It'll invert the two screens. You'll be forced into first person view on your TV screen, but from what I played like this earlier this morning, it seems to work a lot better this way. If you keep still, you won't have to really use the motion aiming very much. Your gameplay won't be derailed when you encounter a cutscene that still has the gameplay going on on the other screen, too. And when you press ZL for target view in lieu of the radar, looking at the "controlled flight instability" on the tablet screen shows its true usefulness. Cockpit view on the tablet screen is too small and too low resolution to be of much use, but using the tablet screen for secondary functions is better.

I wonder if it wouldn't be impossible to disable the motion hardware in the tablet on the hardware level and still leave the game in a playable state.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Played halfway through and maybe I'm lucky, but I'm not as annoyed by the controls as I was expecting. In fact I'm kinda digging them. Overall I'm having a blast with it and my gf is enjoying it too. I can see how the mainstream user can be allienated but for some reason the controls clicked on me on the first mission. Walker controls nicely, and you can strafe with no problem, I don't know what people is talking about. After all the negativity I'm being pleasently surprised.

Some tips:
- Use charge shots a lot, since they are homing attacks and helps finding small enemies since a "target" icon appear.
- Remember: The green aim square is NOT where the laser goes like in a lightgun game. It shows the 3D trajectory of the laser (It will pass through both green squares). I've read many people saying that laser miss when they're aiming at the enemy and that may be the reason.
- If you use lock-on (I only advise it on all range battles) do as follows: Press ZL to lock and keep pressing. Using the TV, steer your ship until the target is more or less in front of you. Then look at the gamepad and do the piloting/aiming in first person. If the target escape your field of vision repeat the process.
- Use X and B for maneuvers instead of joystick motions.

I used the "only use gyroscope when shooting" mode, but I'm now back to the default mode.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Played halfway through and maybe I'm lucky, but I'm not as annoyed by the controls as I was expecting. In fact I'm kinda digging them. Overall I'm having a blast with it and my gf is enjoying it too. I can see how the mainstream user can be allienated but for some reason the controls clicked on me on the first mission. Walker controls nicely, and you can strafe with no problem, I don't know what people is talking about. After all the negativity I'm being pleasently surprised.

I figured this would be the case. People are just quick to judge. Glad you're liking it, hope to pick mine up this week.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I just picked the game up this afternoon while out getting milk.

Is there no option for button mapping, or turning of gyro controls?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Does your wife give you that disappointed stare when you walk in with a game? "I see you got the 2% Milk when I wanted whole...."

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Does your wife give you that disappointed stare when you walk in with a game? "I see you got the 2% Milk when I wanted whole...."

Naw, she's always happy to see a new Nintendo game ;)

I always get skim for me and whole for her and the kids (tastes like cream to me XP)

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Asking for character depth in Samus is like asking Street Fighter for a deep plot, lol.

If story and character development are the most important thing for a game to be considered "good", there's something seriously wrong.

So Samus is an annoying cunt. Who cares? The game is awesome. (And honestly, I think the awkward and cheesy storyline is so atrocious that it's awesome.)

As for star fox, I thought the dual screen control looked rather interesting. Since I hate call of duty, I'll probably really like this game.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

I haven't tried it yet, but someone elsewhere mentioned you can swap the screens so the cockpit is the tv and the external view is on the controller by hitting select.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
What a disappointment. Finally started playing it Saturday night, and I was amazed at how bad it plays.

It's a Platinum game that plays like shit. I never thought I'd say that (it's worse than Korra, far worse).

So much of the game plays in the all-range mode or with the godawful alternate vehicles. Just bad. Easily the most disappointing game of the year, reminds me of why Nintendo still sucks, overall.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
What a disappointment. Finally started playing it Saturday night, and I was amazed at how bad it plays.

It's a Platinum game that plays like shit. I never thought I'd say that (it's worse than Korra, far worse).

So much of the game plays in the all-range mode or with the godawful alternate vehicles. Just bad. Easily the most disappointing game of the year, reminds me of why Nintendo still sucks, overall.

I have a feeling that I'll be saying the same thing as you when I play it, but I'm really hoping that I don't.

I just got back from PAX East yesterday and the Star Fox Zero booth always had a huge line.

My copy came this past Friday, so hopefully I'll get a chance to play it today.

I really, really don't want to hate it since I've been disappointed with everything Star Fox after Adventures and I always loved the SNES and N64 games... but I have zero faith in motion controls.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I haven't played mine yet, haven't even open it yet 'cause I fear it was gonna suck and I'm gonna return it if so. My GF has the WiiU so I haven't gotten the chance to play it. Talking about Platinum, how's wonderful 101? It's for slae on Walmarette at 25 bucks...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I haven't played mine yet, haven't even open it yet 'cause I fear it was gonna suck and I'm gonna return it if so. My GF has the WiiU so I haven't gotten the chance to play it. Talking about Platinum, how's wonderful 101? It's for slae on Walmarette at 25 bucks...

It's awful. I played it on a demo kiosk. I'm so disappointed.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
why all the love for other M here?

jesus, i felt ripped off when i grabbed it for $5.
my big complaints all come from the controls though; i feel it would have at least been passable if you could use an analog stick (classic controller, GC, nunchuk, whatever)