Star Fox Zero

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I fucking love Other M. Nintendo makes games for old nerds.

Preach it homie.

I mean by the time Other M came out, we had 2 modern(ish) side scroller with Fusion and Zero Mission and 3 Prime games (4 if you count the DS game). I was glad they tried something different with Other M.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Preach it homie.

I mean by the time Other M came out, we had 2 modern(ish) side scroller with Fusion and Zero Mission and 3 Prime games (4 if you count the DS game). I was glad they tried something different with Other M.

I like to imagine Prime 3 doesn't exist cause the mere thought of it give me carpal tunnel. People were just butt hurt because Samus spoke...but they didn't care when she was prancing around in high heels in Smash.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'm picking it up tomorrow.
Co-op play sounds bizarre but fun.
And if co-op is bad, I'll just play it solo.
The star fox guard game looks fun on its own.
I'm looking forward to it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm in. I liked Assault, Adventures, and even Command so what the hell.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I fucking love Other M.

Love it too, surprised completely, it was dirt cheap, I wasn't expecting much 'cause of the general consensus, never watch any footage of it and BAM, what an awesome fucking game, plays so smooth! I can't give shit about the complaints, I don't mind any of it. Samus as a character or whatever, it just doesn't face me like it does others. I always enjoyed the series, from tip to toe even P3, I just wish you could control the game with a gamecube controller, that controller was perfect for Metroid Prime.

I got the Twilight Princes HD remake simply 'cause I missed out on the Gamecube release and by now is just a little less money than this remake, so fuck it, got it, can play it with the Pro controller if I want, I'm a happy man.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Love it too, surprised completely, it was dirt cheap, I wasn't expecting much 'cause of the general consensus, never watch any footage of it and BAM, what an awesome fucking game, plays so smooth! I can't give shit about the complaints, I don't mind any of it. Samus as a character or whatever, it just doesn't face me like it does others. I always enjoyed the series, from tip to toe even P3, I just wish you could control the game with a gamecube controller, that controller was perfect for Metroid Prime.

I got the Twilight Princes HD remake simply 'cause I missed out on the Gamecube release and by now is just a little less money than this remake, so fuck it, got it, can play it with the Pro controller if I want, I'm a happy man.

Twilight Princess is awesome.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Dont care much about reviews either.
Star Fox looks like it will be really fun, and I will be buying it on the weekend.

Agreed with you guys on Other M. I remember most reviews hating on it because it made Samus different from what they wanted.
But the game played really good, and it was something different from all the other 2d and 3d metroid games. I hope nintendo can do more of these team ups in the future.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Dont care much about reviews either.
Star Fox looks like it will be really fun, and I will be buying it on the weekend.

Agreed with you guys on Other M. I remember most reviews hating on it because it made Samus different from what they wanted.
But the game played really good, and it was something different from all the other 2d and 3d metroid games. I hope nintendo can do more of these team ups in the future.

I'll say this bout Other M; the gameplay is on point. It's what I envisioned a polygonal Super Metroid would be. I don't like it as much as the Prime series, but it's still very good. However, I can't stand how they butchered the Samus character. It's not the fact that they tried to flesh out her backstory, it's how they went about it. She comes off as an arrogant, petulant, and cowardly brat. It made me turn around and hate a character I used to really like. They took the one female character that kicked ass and needed nobody's help, to a pathetic coward who has to be rescued by a lowly male subordinate. The voice actor they chose was not the right one for the role either. Still love the franchise tho.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'll say this bout Other M; the gameplay is on point. It's what I envisioned a polygonal Super Metroid would be. I don't like it as much as the Prime series, but it's still very good. However, I can't stand how they butchered the Samus character. It's not the fact that they tried to flesh out her backstory, it's how they went about it. She comes off as an arrogant, petulant, and cowardly brat. It made me turn around and hate a character I used to really like. They took the one female character that kicked ass and needed nobody's help, to a pathetic coward who has to be rescued by a lowly male subordinate. The voice actor they chose was not the right one for the role either. Still love the franchise tho.

I gotta disagree there. If you played Fusion you know how dependant she is on the navigation and insight of Adam. All Other M was doing was building on that character while giving him a back story. I think Samus was done very well in that game. Very Team Ninja vibe to the character.

I'm all for Nintendo farming out their franchises to 3rd parties. I think it keeps some of their franchises fresh. I'd love to see a Zelda game made by Ninja Theory

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

I never understood the hate this game got. Midna is my favorite of the Companion characters. Snowpeak is also my favorite dungeon in the Zelda series.

You playing regular or hero mode?

I gotta disagree there. If you played Fusion you know how dependant she is on the navigation and insight of Adam. All Other M was doing was building on that character while giving him a back story. I think Samus was done very well in that game. Very Team Ninja vibe to the character.

I'm all for Nintendo farming out their franchises to 3rd parties. I think it keeps some of their franchises fresh. I'd love to see a Zelda game made by Ninja Theory

I won't disagree that OtherM is portraying Samus correctly to canon, but all that means is Samus is a horrible character. Part of the reason other Metroid titles are better is you can ignore that aspect of the series, and pretend Ripley is in the suit.

Supposedly my copy of Star Fox will arrive today, but the track record of Friday releases with amazon is.... I'll be getting it monday most likely.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Twilight Princess is legit. It's like Ocarina of Time but without the suck.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
I'm going to wait until Zero cheapens a bit. I'm buying some other shit at the moment, so I don't have the cash.

Also, this stuck out like a sore thumb.

I think Samus was done very well in that game.

Samus curls into fetal position when she sees Riley... a pirate she has killed at least two times before.

Your argument is invalid. I'm all for Other M having sweet tight-ass gameplay, but the story and character development is fucking atrocious. A+ for effort for trying to give her one, sure, they just went the most awful way about it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Asking for character depth in Samus is like asking Street Fighter for a deep plot, lol.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm going to wait until Zero cheapens a bit. I'm buying some other shit at the moment, so I don't have the cash.

Also, this stuck out like a sore thumb.

Samus curls into fetal position when she sees Riley... a pirate she has killed at least two times before.

Your argument is invalid. I'm all for Other M having sweet tight-ass gameplay, but the story and character development is fucking atrocious. A+ for effort for trying to give her one, sure, they just went the most awful way about it.

But she's been petrified of Ridley and Mother Brain, as well as being haunted by Metroids/Baby Metroid/SA-X in the story. Makes total sense to me. Very similar to Ripley in Alien. Even though she's beaten them numerous times, shes still afraid of them.

Last edited:

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Asking for character depth in Samus is like asking Street Fighter for a deep plot, lol.

Exactly. Keep her being a space Boba Fett with an arm cannon and call it day. You didn't need all that shit that Other M tried to pull.

EDIT: WOOT! MEGA SHOCK POST!!!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Even with the Other M stuff, it's really unimportant, I don't understand why fanboys take it to heart. Just let it be and play the damn game for what matters the most, gameplay.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Even with the Other M stuff, it's really unimportant, I don't understand why fanboys take it to heart. Just let it be and play the damn game for what matters the most, gameplay.

I would say the story got in the way of the gameplay.

Look at Bioshock (the first one), the game was far more immersive, and had the themes I would expect from a metroid game. Bioshock shows you the plot, Metroid Other M tells you the plot.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Some of the reviews seem to be focusing on the graphics and it's similarity to Starfox 64 as negatives. As if it was a game that would have been good a few years following the N64 release, but is out of touch with games today. Personally, these are non-issues to me, as I don't mind a classic franchise adhering to an older formula... and I can plainly see that the graphics are fine in the screenshots. It has been stated that the game runs at 60fps. It's my opinion that often times when the focus is to attempt to re-invent the wheel too much, the baby goes out with the bathwater.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Some of the reviews seem to be focusing on the graphics and it's similarity to Starfox 64 as negatives. As if it was a game that would have been good a few years following the N64 release, but is out of touch with games today. Personally, these are non-issues to me, as I don't mind a classic franchise adhering to an older formula... and I can plainly see that the graphics are fine in the screenshots. It has been stated that the game runs at 60fps. It's my opinion that often times when the focus is to attempt to re-invent the wheel too much, the baby goes out with the bathwater.

Good points - non-issues for me as well

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
But she's been petrified of Ridley and Mother Brain, as well as being haunted by Metroids/Baby Metroid/SA-X in the story. Makes total sense to me. Very similar to Ripley in Alien. Even though she's beaten them numerous times, shes still afraid of them.

Can't really argue with that statement. Was your thesis in psychology written on this? :-) if so I give you an A.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I got me SFZ with the Guard game, gonna try it later this weekend, pretty psyched, I'm down with a remake or an update of a good game. Hell yeah!

Look at Bioshock (the first one), the game was far more immersive, and had the themes I would expect from a metroid game. Bioshock shows you the plot, Metroid Other M tells you the plot.
Stop caring about silly shit and just play the damn game.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Played a few missions.

The motion aiming sucks and kills the arwing portions. The good thing about them in Splatoon is that it's a third person shooter. Your aim is going to be moving around no matter what due to the flight of your ship, so you're always fucking fighting the aim. Also, at least for me, my aiming seems to drift left. It's got a similar to Splatoon reset feature, but the implementation of the controls in general is balls compared to Splatoon.

Oh, and you can set up the motion aiming in one of two ways. The default is as described above, and the alternative isn't even worth talking about. It's that bad.

The lock-on mode is kind of meh. It reminds me of a shittier version of controlled flight instability from that Top Gun game a few years back. (Not Top Gun Hard Lock.) Lock-on mode largely ties in to the cockpit view on the tablet screen. It's mostly an annoyance, but sometimes you've got to use it. That doesn't make it any less annoying.

Walker controls are the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced. Left and right on the left stick turns your walker while moving your walker forward automatically. Left and right on the right stick turns your walker without moving forward. You essentially can't strafe, but lock-on mode kind of lets you do it, in some strange way. It's weird. It feels like a bad 90s control setup. If I remember correctly, the walker controls in the cancelled Star Fox 2 were better.

The helicopter probably controls the best out of every vehicle I've used so far. The motion aiming gets in the way the least with the helicopter, probably because you're a helicopter. It feels more like Splatoon this way. One thing I don't get is why it doesn't allow you to invert the vertical movement. It really throws me off. I don't mind the little robot, too. It's a nice diversion.

I haven't made it to a tank mission yet.

I have no problems with the graphics. I don't see the complaints. Perhaps the audio mix is a little off, but it's not bad.

I feel like the game would greatly benefit from being patched to have classic controls. The game may not be designed around it, and that fact would probably make some things irritating, but it's got to be no more irritating than the way things are now. Also, FYI, using the Fox amiibo does not allow for classic controls. It strictly removes the crosshairs and cosmetically changes your arwing to the SNES style. The game was hard enough to control normally, but it's absolutely dreadful to control with the Fox amiibo. I don't have the Falco one, so I can't say how that is.

The complete and utter lack of radar is frustrating as shit.

Having said all that, the game sure is compelling. I'm definitely going to be playing more. It's a high definition rearranged take on Star Fox 64 that feels even more awesome. The Star Wolf dogfight is friggin' intense.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Gonna be picking this up when I get paid next, I'm really excited and looking forward to this! I'm always a sucker for Starfox, especially Starfox 64. Except Command, didn't care for that one. This just looks too good to not pick up!

Now about that Other M...
TL/DR; If I could strip away all that forced narrative, and pace breaking nonsense shoehorned in there, I could see having a game I'd revisit and enjoy, like most other Metroid games. Instead of finishing only once and never ever again, like a small pile of other Metroid games (Prime 3, Hunters, and this). Because the game itself played fun. Especially the combat, that was rewarding. The rest of it was intrusive garbage though, which got in the way of actually playing much more than it ever should.

Spoiler:

I'm all for Other M having sweet tight-ass gameplay, but the story and character development is fucking atrocious. A+ for effort for trying to give her one, sure, they just went the most awful way about it.

This right here. On the same page. If you count the Prime games, she's killed him more than that.

And she'd be right to be afraid, Like Ripley is of the Aliens. But part of her deal is never letting her fear control her, like Ripley was never paralyzed, weeping at the foot of the Queen until Hicks heroically charged in to save her. Also Metroid Fusion. Clearly and rightfully terrified of SA-X, but enough sense to run till correctly equipped. As a story, If she was gonna have that kind of reaction to Ridley, it would have 100% worked in 1/Zero Mission, the first time she's seen him since he ate her parents. She's whooped him -several- times since then, fear or not. Once while being driven by pure mommy rage, not unlike Ripley barreling into the nest looking for Newt (Super Metroid). There's no logical fear after that. It just doesn't add up.

Because the story was sold as one of the biggest parts of the game. The story was supposed to drive the game. But since you're addressing the gameplay itself and not the story, I 100% agree. If Other M had a mode a la Mega Man Xtreme's 'Extreme' mode, which gives you the option of an uninterrupted campaign (No story/cutscenes, no filler, just pure gameplay and nothing else from the moment you hit start till credits roll) I'd be back on board! Because the gameplay itself was sweet, and so were the boss battles. But even that's not without its thorns. The missiles were just -awkward- to use, and those mandatory scan segments broke the flow more than any of those cutscenes. Stuff also wasn't really well hidden at all. I followed the linear path, and got near 100% on my playthrough. That shouldn't be. The other major problem is..

Exactly that. Constantly that. As another example, Prime had a rich story, if you bothered to find it. If you wanted to just play the game and enjoy, you could! Other M's flow was -constantly- being broken with godawful cutscenes, awkward forced scanning, and nonsense characterization. Or your gear 'authorization' I get that... to a point. But burning to death in heat sectors before you're -allowed- to turn your Varia on was hard to swallow. I can buy Samus following orders if she needs to, it's not the first time it happened. But I can't buy her being that stupid, if we're giving her more character.

Metroid Prime 3 also tried to get away with an adventure driven by story, and to me, ended up being the worst of the 3 because of it. Great controls though. Loved getting those on Prime 1 when they re-released the Prime trilogy for Wii. Either way, to me, Metroid always works better with no forced story.

Last edited: