Lets discuss repros and where they belong in the community.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
anyone notice that aliexpress stopped selling AES games? I think that's a good thing, they must have dried up stock from Japan, but now trying to pick up a KOF97, FF3 or SS3 or WH2J is expensive as shit. Luckily I have them already.

Why they dry up stock from Japan? Do they sac AES carts to make those repro?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Do people consider conversion carts to be "repros"?

I really doubt that crap on Ali Express uses original chips, I'm sure it's all EPROMs.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member

I really doubt that crap on Ali Express uses original chips, I'm sure it's all EPROMs.

That's what I'm thinking. There is no way Aliexpress will use original SNK board to make those AES carts (Pulstar, MS1, etc....)

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member

It's not EPROMs either. They are also too expensive to be cost efficient and still turn a profit. They use surface mount flash roms.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Aliexpress used eproms for 2mb and 4mb C Roma, but did tsop adapters for 8mb releases. Yes, they sacced boards. I asked the seller awhile back, BC I was curious how he had 999 in stock lol.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Aliexpress used eproms for 2mb and 4mb C Roma, but did tsop adapters for 8mb releases. Yes, they sacced boards. I asked the seller awhile back, BC I was curious how he had 999 in stock lol.

Would be interested in seeing board scans if anyone here buys any.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

Aren't there like 2 dozen sellers of AES boots on Ali? I doubt they all use the same supplier...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Aren't there like 2 dozen sellers of AES boots on Ali? I doubt they all use the same supplier...

Surely there is not enough demand to do a PCB print run. The prices would indicate sac'd boards IMO.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I forgot the name of the member who ordered one aES boot cart from aliexpress. And he aid he will give us a report? Not sure if he has received the cart yet.....

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
The destroying of original carts as a base is what bothers me the most about this whole affair. I think if reproductions were built from scratch on original materials that were clearly identifiable, it would remain shady but would also feel a lot less contentious. I agree with the sentiment that avoiding this altogether and focusing on a great flash cart would be the way to go. I've got an EverDrive for my MD & NES, and the biggest joy they've given me has been to try out translations and modifications (I especially love the subtler hacks on the MD, like pyron's color fixes and the arcade voice samples in Altered Beast).

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Damn, I had assumed the Ali carts were new PCBs since they had tons of them. That's a whole lot of dead carts...

xorthen

Banned
What are the most common AES carts in existence? I know some of them can't be used for conversions because the boards are different or something.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
No way I'm believing those Aliexpress carts are using sacked boards until I see pics.

China has long since had their own PCBs for making bootlegs no need to waste time and money sacking carts.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
No way I'm believing those Aliexpress carts are using sacked boards until I see pics.

China has long since had their own PCBs for making bootlegs no need to waste time and money sacking carts.

Were they using the shells then? I looked briefly at their offerings on AliExpress, so I don't remember for sure, but they looked like legit shells.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have no evidence to support this, but I always assumed that our friends in France (and possibly Canada) got the cases, shells, and PCBs manufactured in China, and since that gives the Chinese the molds and PCB designs they are probably cranking out their own now. It can't be coincidence that Aliexpress started getting a ton of bootleg carts shortly after the guys in France started selling non-conversion boots.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I have no evidence to support this, but I always assumed that our friends in France (and possibly Canada) got the cases, shells, and PCBs manufactured in China, and since that gives the Chinese the molds and PCB designs they are probably cranking out their own now. It can't be coincidence that Aliexpress started getting a ton of bootleg carts shortly after the guys in France started selling non-conversion boots.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened. The same thing with nes boots coming out of China. Some genius thought it was a good idea to get nes cart shells done in China so he could make his own boots. The moment he turned his back, they magically showed up on aliexpress.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You know, I wouldn't even care since they aren't saccing original carts anymore, but they were what, $300 for a boot? Lol.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You know, I wouldn't even care since they aren't saccing original carts anymore, but they were what, $300 for a boot? Lol.

That's the problem. Some people are thinking they are doing God's work by making expensive titles "affordable and available." There are plenty of ways to play the game without resorting to this.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
What are the most common AES carts in existence? I know some of them can't be used for conversions because the boards are different or something.

Probably the Japanese versions of Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Spirits. Those games probably had print runs in the high five figures. Might have even broke six figures.

Last edited: