Lets discuss repros and where they belong in the community.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I dont ever remember Super Metroid being that cheap. I can remember 15 years ago when GameStop still carried SNES games, it was $25 for a used copy. Now a sealed LTTP I remeber buying for like $9.99

Anyways back on topic. I understand the argument that repros hurt the market for legit games, but what I dont get is the shelf queen argument. I own exact 1 repro, its undercover cops for SFC. I bought for like $20 and when I'm not playing it, I throw it in a cardboard box with the rest of my other SFC games. I'm glad I own it and I'm glad i didnt spend $250 for a legit cart.

I think its just the act of putting the game cart in the console and playing the game thats enjoyable; sort of like masturbation, Its not sex but its better than nothing.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This thread makes my head hurt. It's kind of like reading Neo Geo For Life or pretty much any Facebook gaming group. Please stop the madness!

If you want to make a repro for personal use or for a friend, by all means do so. But condoning them in any way other than that is a slippery slope that has significantly contributed to the demise of our hobby. In general, they are completely unnecessary and I do not want to be associated in any way with people that support repro games as a legitimate business model. Even YAJ has been overrun with this shit now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dont ever remember Super Metroid being that cheap. I can remember 15 years ago when GameStop still carried SNES games, it was $25 for a used copy. Now a sealed LTTP I remeber buying for like $9.99

Super Metroid got a Players Choice release at the end of the SNES lifespan, and since most people had moved on to the 32/64 bit systems at the time a lot of those PC titles rotted in clearance bins for ages. I bought a Super Castlevania 4 out of a TRU dump bin in 98 for $12.99, and Super Metroid for about the same price from a Roses store around 2001. Both titles had literally sat in these stores for years.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You seem to be confusing "rare" with " demand". Super Metroid is worth every cent of $40. I spend $60 on brand new titles that don't deliver a 5th of its gameplay. There is demand for it, and it sells for that price. It's not a rare game by any stretch of the imagination.

I demand that I play it again.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
You seem to be confusing "rare" with " demand". Super Metroid is worth every cent of $40. I spend $60 on brand new titles that don't deliver a 5th of its gameplay. There is demand for it, and it sells for that price. It's not a rare game by any stretch of the imagination.

Absolutely.

Same goes with Zelda Alttp.

Those games sold millions. They're far from rare.
There's just high demand for those. They'll never be cheap again because they're just too good.
Possibly 2 of most everyone top 10's ever. Quality pays out, yet those are not rare games.

xorthen

Banned
Oh no, I don't disagree. I was just using it as an example. Maybe I should have used Earthbound as an example of a shitty, over rated game that people jizz all over.

xorthen

Banned
I bought it for $2 in 1844 so now it should be worth $1 and your $15 copy is offensive to my neighbours.

And other illogical ramblings.

Don't compare 200 years to 20. All I am saying is that it's a pretty common game. I personally don't see it as a 40 dollar game in todays market but some people like paying that much I guess.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Don't compare 200 years to 20. All I am saying is that it's a pretty common game. I personally don't see it as a 40 dollar game in todays market but some people like paying that much I guess.

The point of a market price is that your personal opinion on a price doesn't matter, hence market price, not xorthen price.

It's not that people 'like' paying $40 for it either, it's just that's what the going rate is.

If you hadn't bought it in 1997 for $15, and you wanted it now, and it couldn't be bought for less than $40, what would you do?

xorthen

Banned
The point of a market price is that your personal opinion on a price doesn't matter, hence market price, not xorthen price.

It's not that people 'like' paying $40 for it either, it's just that's what the going rate is.

If you hadn't bought it in 1997 for $15, and you wanted it now, and it couldn't be bought for less than $40, what would you do?

I could buy it but I don't want to because it's over rated anyways.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
4681842-thread+derailed+gif+1.gif

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
imho every repro, conversion etc. is as real as a 161 in 1 multicart is. so the only repros that might be "necessary" are games that are not on any multicart like windjammers. when you really love a game it must be an original (at least for me).

if the aes original is too expensive, it must be the mvs original. if the mvs fullkit is too rare / expensive a single mvs cart might be enough. so: before buying 10 repros it makes more sense to buy 10 empty boxes, put inserts into them to display them on your shelves. or you put 10 multicarts into them.

Last edited:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
What's the point of owning a repro, when there are flashcarts for almost every system? Collecting fake games? Is there such a thing, fake collecting?

Really, aside from a few exceptions of games/prototypes which aren't playable on real hardware via flashcarts, I find completely pointless owning repro games and extremely annoying to have all those boots running around, with scammers and/or uninformed people trying to sell them as the real deal.

Hopefully sooner than later people will realize they're just buying piles of fucked up carts, with no real value out of the fake collecting community. Meh.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
What's the point of owning a repro, when there are flashcarts for almost every system? Collecting fake games? Is there such a thing, fake collecting?

Really, aside from a few exceptions of games/prototypes which aren't playable on real hardware via flashcarts, I find completely pointless owning repro games and extremely annoying to have all those boots running around, with scammers and/or uninformed people trying to sell them as the real deal.

Hopefully sooner than later people will realize they're just buying piles of fucked up carts, with no real value out of the fake collecting community. Meh.

Having sunk pretty far into the pits of Famicom purchases, I can tell you that once the big time guys run out of cart to buy, they start collecting bootlegs. So yes, repro collectors exist. There are still some games that don't work on flash carts (star fox 2), so in some cases I can see owning that cart.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wtf's the point of buying a repro

why not just buy a 151-in-one or whatever they're called

stupid thread by stupid OP who honestly thinks people would sell repros of rare games for a low price

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

stupid thread by stupid OP who honestly thinks people would sell repros of rare games for a low price

Wow someone obviously didnt read the thread. Do you always jump to conclusions?

I bet you're really smart.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza

Little late to the party bud.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
anyone notice that aliexpress stopped selling AES games? I think that's a good thing, they must have dried up stock from Japan, but now trying to pick up a KOF97, FF3 or SS3 or WH2J is expensive as shit. Luckily I have them already.

Having sunk pretty far into the pits of Famicom purchases, I can tell you that once the big time guys run out of cart to buy, they start collecting bootlegs. So yes, repro collectors exist. There are still some games that don't work on flash carts (star fox 2), so in some cases I can see owning that cart.

Yes and Star Fox 2 is worth owning. I made my own for $10 bucks, same with Star Ocean. There's shit I can't do (engine repair), which I pay money for and shit I can (electronics, home repair, etc.), which I do myself at cost.

Last edited: