Lets discuss repros and where they belong in the community.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
So for terminology sake:

Bootleg: re-engineered boards of a game, little care given to cosmetics as long as it functions

Reproduction: original or RE boards with modified chips. Language translation or game hack

Conversion: a re-population of chips on original boards to make a different game.

Am I close on these classifications?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd put it more like this:
Bootleg - A fake, a knockoff for any non-legal intent or purpose of an original product
Repro - A legitimized new or first run of a game from yesteryear with the blessing of the original IP owner (or current if they bought the rights)
Conversion - A fake, still illegal, but it's converted as the user end appears new, but the internal guts end up still being legally owned code you don't own nor did the conversion artist(s)

I get pissed seeing the lie of repro used in the Nintendo circles to legitimize their shitty thievery. It could be as simple as just stealing a translation patch and slapping it on a game then selling it, to people acquiring prototypes they don't legally own other than the physical media they're on and selling shit they have no right to (like the Nolan's and others making expensive numbered or not releases to widely fatten their wallets while acting like it's the good of the community at heart.)

A true honest to god repro would be what www.pikointeractive.com does. Eleazar(Piko) goes to the original IP owners, or former owners to find the current owners. He then has meetings, conversations verbal/email, gets contracts done, and buys the IP outright or gets a limited licensing agreement to profit share or own X game for a specified time. All that stuff on his site is a smaller mix of amateur ROM projects but a good large amount are failed to hit the market games (companies fold, someone dies, console gets too old to bother.) He gets the rights to these with some agreement if not buying them, then releases the lost games or brings back the dead (like the Wisdom Tree stuff) as a co-profit sharing deal. Those are reproductions, they reproduce the original and legally so.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A conversion should be an original home cart that has been repopulated with original SNK chips pulled from a legit MVS cart. Anything else is a bootleg, no matter how you phrase it.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'd put it more like this:
Bootleg - A fake, a knockoff for any non-legal intent or purpose of an original product
Repro - A legitimized new or first run of a game from yesteryear with the blessing of the original IP owner (or current if they bought the rights)
Conversion - A fake, still illegal, but it's converted as the user end appears new, but the internal guts end up still being legally owned code you don't own nor did the conversion artist(s)

I get pissed seeing the lie of repro used in the Nintendo circles to legitimize their shitty thievery. It could be as simple as just stealing a translation patch and slapping it on a game then selling it, to people acquiring prototypes they don't legally own other than the physical media they're on and selling shit they have no right to (like the Nolan's and others making expensive numbered or not releases to widely fatten their wallets while acting like it's the good of the community at heart.)

A true honest to god repro would be what www.pikointeractive.com does. Eleazar(Piko) goes to the original IP owners, or former owners to find the current owners. He then has meetings, conversations verbal/email, gets contracts done, and buys the IP outright or gets a limited licensing agreement to profit share or own X game for a specified time. All that stuff on his site is a smaller mix of amateur ROM projects but a good large amount are failed to hit the market games (companies fold, someone dies, console gets too old to bother.) He gets the rights to these with some agreement if not buying them, then releases the lost games or brings back the dead (like the Wisdom Tree stuff) as a co-profit sharing deal. Those are reproductions, they reproduce the original and legally so.

Aren't the Nolan's who got Piko kicked off of NA.com?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Yes. He more or less called them out on their shit if I recall, and because they give large financial kickbacks (ie "donations") to that fanatical site, it was a huge blow. I think ultimately though it wasn't just that, but a lie that was wrapped up as a co-reason to do it. I can't remember which came first. He had put an offer out on a game that was on ebay, the seller I believe didn't take it, but it got back to NA (guess they were a member or knew one) and they blew up all these trumped up charges like it was a fucking crime to offer money on a game. They call it backdooring, because you know, once any game is up for sale they want, if you get it, and they don't, it's the same as theft. So they basically called him a thief(attempted burglar) and used that along with the Nolan callouts to show his ass the door. NA has posted rules, then they have made up shadow rules you can't read, they don't apply to donors, staff/owners, and community leaders (anyone who makes games and in particular kicks back a portion to the site or puts their name on it as a form of advertisement.) If you violate the rules or shadow rules, you're fucked. Since the shadow rules are not posted, they trump up fake bullshit with the posted rules and kick you out. I was a happy victim of it too, I wrote a comment where I couldn't trust the owner of a game (he didn't make the thread, nor was it in a sales area) but talked up how damn good it was in person where I tried it. A staffer hacked(edited) the post into a personal attack, then they erased it shortly after a few people saw it and got upset, and from there had a partial (non full, non fully discussed) ban vote and kicked me out and without a word, other than when I'd ask I was told 'I knew why' and it took prodding around for hours to figure out what conspired. You can't thread crap and personally attack someone in a non-sales thread and not naming them either, let alone can't make it personal when there was no attack involved, but that person is friends with the admin level staff and produces games with their friendly backing so it was a death note. NA is a den of hypocrisy because they actively sell stolen games, stolen translations, stolen prototypes and make good profit from it, yet if you dare try and link up some ROM site or hand them out (even in PM where they read your messages) you're banned. If the warez is a 'repro' in a pretty plastic and sticker wrapper of bullshit, it's cool!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Don't like it, don't read it. Don't want to see it at all, use the settings and hit ignore. That's what I've told anyone else before playing that stupid card and I won't change things over it either.

toaks

n00b
As long as they are clearly marked as repo's, I have no problem with them. In fact if there was a good source of quality repo''s, I would probably buy them over originals simply due to price.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Seems he wants a repo to be done alright, not sure why you'd want to be repossessed though.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Don't like it, don't read it. Don't want to see it at all, use the settings and hit ignore. That's what I've told anyone else before playing that stupid card and I won't change things over it either.

Of course I don't read it, a glimpse is enough. And what are you n00bing around, bossing others on what they ought to do with their ignore list or not? And what gave you the idea anyone wants you to change anything about your palooka posts?

You're neither that necessary, nor that much of a charming hillbilly as to anybody give a damn. Play out your strictly mediocre uninspired "card" like us other nubz and develop some decent sense of humor, the lack of which is becoming tediously repetitive.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Arrogant much playing the noob card? Yes because being new at a site makes you new to thinking or having any experiences right? This must be the first forum or entry into gaming I've had in over 20 years online. Jus tbecause someone is new here doesn't mean they know nothing. He asked what the back story was, that is the back story since I'm friends with Piko and had my own NA experience with retarded site politics too. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out if someone doesn't like my posting style, ignore it, but commenting on it is pointless as it won't change a thing other than puffing up someones post count totals.

xsq thanks. I figured some people were being funny with that, others serious, so it's just how I go with it and made the comment.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Rough place to pick for your first outing. If you want people to read your posts break them into paragraphs - not sure why this is a big issue. It's the same rule in every forum.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
First outing? I understand what you're saying but it's not my first. The first would have been Dave's Video Gaming Classics back in 1995-96 which turned into VGN, and I used to admin the forums for awhile there and help post site news whenever Dave was on vacation or tests rolled around. I've always written paragraphs when I felt a need to, and if I felt a need to keep it short I did that too. I just don't see the big deal where I need to convert to some twitter character limit to make forum posts. Did the same again in the mid 00s for the Advanced Media Network which was the gaming media site I worked at for 4 years, so I'm not new to forum posting or management.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Grow up. You're now fully aware of forum etiquette. Don't whine when you ignore it and get rightfully bitchslapped.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I still remember the thread where I suckered a noob into breaking his repro cartridge and posting pics in order to avoid me calling the authorities on him :keke:

.. but somehow can't find it :(

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out if someone doesn't like my posting style, ignore it, but commenting on it is pointless as it won't change a thing other than puffing up someones post count totals.

Poiting out & commenting on is the same goddamn thing with you, so just give this sagacious "advice" to yourself and come off it, cause it's pointless indeed. Besides, it's the old question about who's more foolish, the fool commenting your posts or the fool who follows him pointing it out? Pro-tip: question's rhetorical.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I see your words and in my mind it comes off as the adults in a Peanuts cartoon. Want to keep making dumb comments and whining when I post, have fun with it, I'm not going to argue with people acting like they have the maturity level of a grade schooler. I do know general forum etiquette, perhaps here is unique, as my posting style isn't a bad thing. The best thing I'm seeing here is that you have no good retort so you twist the last post to try and come out on top which is pretty petty. If this needs to continue, make another thread as this is just derailing the repro conversation which does anyone wanting to discuss that no good at all.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
As long as they are clearly marked as repo's, I have no problem with them. In fact if there was a good source of quality repo''s, I would probably buy them over originals simply due to price.

Change your avatar

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If this needs to continue, make another thread as this is just derailing the repro conversation which does anyone wanting to discuss that no good at all.

That's the point: It's not for you to decide what happens, if this "needs" to continue.

Plus, you're not going to "argue with people", because of their alleged lack of maturity? So be it, no one is asking you to. Yet, if you are of the opinion, that your posts of ripe and cultured content of age, presented in an equally mellowed, cultivated and perfected form in full bloom are somehow distracted by a simple comment of doubtful quality, then it just may be, that you doubt them yourself and the "best" thing I'm seeing, is your wish to avoid to acknowledge that.

It's a good thing, that you are a such a hardworking and diligent poster, no irony here. But just post and let things take their own flow. This chronic angst of loosing control is pure infantile.