Adult Coloring Books

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I get that coloring is a soothing experience but this is some emotionally-arrested millennial nonsense.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I get that coloring is a soothing experience but this is some emotionally-arrested millennial nonsense.

Which is why I'm reluctant to meet any of those women at my local library who do the coloring book thing.

Then again, maybe I should go. That way I'll know who to avoid if I ever run into them anywhere else.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
@GregN: I would argue that collages take skill (as does coloring; it takes kids a while to master staying inside the lines after all, and complimentary/accurate color choices and shading are things that even adults may struggle with if they're doing it "seriously"). Sure, you can just slap anything together to make a collage, but a good one takes a lot of thinking/planning to get an interesting arrangement.

Right you are; it's all about layouts. Of all them I've done recently, I was only satisifyed with one of them. It helps when you go into them with a goal or a concept. Same with coloring; anybody can do it, but to do it well, you have to have a good balance of colors. I remember when I took a printmaking class, one of my fellow classmates who took a class in colors was struggling.

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Paint-by-number pictures have been around for a while, and plenty of adults do those. So I really don't see what the difference between that and "Adult Coloring Books" would be. A lot of people just don't have the skills to draw their own pictures, but still feel a need to be creative.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
My wife does some to relax, when you deal with other people's kids all day, you need to do something mindless and simple. I picked her up some twistable crayons too. She uses them for work to, it gets kids to open up.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Paint-by-number pictures have been around for a while, and plenty of adults do those. So I really don't see what the difference between that and "Adult Coloring Books" would be. A lot of people just don't have the skills to draw their own pictures, but still feel a need to be creative.
*Raises hand* I admit drawing isn't one of my strong suits, but collages and assemblages are. I've done them off and on as a kid. I'd do more assemblages, but I don't have the space. Sometimes when I take walks I pick up junk and use it in mixed-media journal entries.

Whot? None of you guys are gonna come out of the closet and admit you do this?

When I am able to upload photos with my camera, I'll post some stuff.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I wonder how many times your parents have regretted not aborting you.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Adult coloring books. When you're one step away from living alone in an apartment full of cats named after Final Fantasy characters.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Gave one of my books to my mom who is 78 years old and has alzheimers. I figure it's better for her to do that than sit around and watch TV all day.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Adult coloring books. When you're one step away from living alone in an apartment full of cats named after Final Fantasy characters.

I'm on the move my friends place in WI and my parents house too much, so I can't be like Bubbles with any cats. That may change when I get older.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm getting myself some nasty ass Japanese comics and a box of Crayons.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Gave one of my books to my mom who is 78 years old and has alzheimers. I figure it's better for her to do that than sit around and watch TV all day.

Have you gotten a hospice nurse for her yet? The cost is worth it for the piece of mind.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Have you gotten a hospice nurse for her yet? The cost is worth it for the piece of mind.

This is a very sad topic. Most People cannot be put into hospice unless a Doctor says they have less than 3 months to live. Hospice is very good in the sense that the nurses have a lot of experience "reading" end of life patients and can administer pain killers if they detect terminal agitation and can be there to frequently wet a patient's mouth with a sponge. I hate topics like this, but I know that i'd personally like hospice if I take that kind of turn for the worse that indicates end of life care. The comforts of home mean little as long as you still get to have the family/company & support around you that you would have otherwise had at home anyway.

Love and strength in both your mother's and your direction, GregN.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is a very sad topic. Most People cannot be put into hospice unless a Doctor says they have less than 3 months to live. Hospice is very good in the sense that the nurses have a lot of experience "reading" end of life patients and can administer pain killers if they detect terminal agitation and can be there to frequently wet a patient's mouth with a sponge. I hate topics like this, but I know that i'd personally like hospice if I take that kind of turn for the worse that indicates end of life care. The comforts of home mean little as long as you still get to have the family/company & support around you that you would have otherwise had at home anyway.

Love and strength in both your mother's and your direction, GregN.

I was actually asking a serious question.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't pink I have a big enough crayon for that project.

Its a really good book too, lots of different examples to colour in. Intrinsically enlightening in a way...

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
It's cool that you're thinking of your mom like that, GregN. If you have the time, you should do some of that coloring with her; I'm sure she would appreciate it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
rrSnnjL.jpg

Yoshi

20 Year Member
And this is why I don't want to meet these women at the local library. I want someone that's more mature. Hell, I want to partake in an activity that's more mature than coloring books. If I don't pick up chicks, so be it. Not everything has to be a chick picking up endeavor, but I want to partake in a mature activity, you know?
You're thinking about this all wrong. There can't be too many better ways to find a chick with daddy issues than going to coloring book conventions.