Texas Flood + Neo Geo Big Red = Sad Boy

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Man, it was flooding in houston last night and the house I'll be renting a room in got hit by 2 inches of water inside. I wasn't there but my big red was . Water has subsided, is there anything I should do to keep the wood from rotting quicker? Dry it with a heat gun or something? Don't want her to start dying on me.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Dude that is fucking horrible!!!!! I'm so sorry man. Did the power supply get wet?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I haven't been back to check out the damage. One of my roomates luckily grabbed all my boexs and put them on high spots. Including the boxes with my ps3, snes and mvs carts. He also saved my asus monitor so I'm lucky the dude was home. It flooded all last night and the water didn't go down until abiut noon. The parking lot of my old apartment that I was moving out of had water that went past the top of the bumper of my Honda civic. About yo see if it'll start up in alittle

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I haven't been back to check out the damage. One of my roomates luckily grabbed all my boexs and put them on high spots. Including the boxes with my ps3, snes and mvs carts. He also saved my asus monitor so I'm lucky the dude was home. It flooded all last night and the water didn't go down until abiut noon. The parking lot of my old apartment that I was moving out of had water that went past the top of the bumper of my Honda civic. About yo see if it'll start up in alittle

I know the struggle bro. I lost a shit ton of games in Hurricane Katrina. Glad most of your stuff was saved. Hopefully Big Red will be okay. I just know that in my cab the isolation transformer is on the bottom of the cab.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Yeah, mine is on the back too. Some parts of the house flooded more than others, hopefully the living room was one of the ones with less water. I can only hope.

Ps- you need to post in the Fightcade thread man

Last edited:

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Yeah, mine is on the back too. Some parts of the house flooded more than others, hopefully the living room was one of the ones with less water. I can only hope.

Ps- you need to post in the Fightcade thread man

I really should. I got all the roms now so I'm ready to rock.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Gutz- cool, I would def be down for some games sometime later on in the week if I'm able to get all this flooding mess straighten out.

I'll post pics whenever I make it out there.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
That's terrible, hope you got the lightest damage possible... It's pretty shocking how bad the flooding ended up being.

uft8cvnmzsfw34uwovlz.gif

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Fuck dude. I hope everything is OK. Once you get it squared away, sign up for renters insurance if you don't already have it. It starts at like $5 a month for like $50k in coverage. It's a ball buster taking all the photos to catalog your stuff and submitting them, but the piece of mind it offers is amazing.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I know the grief of flood. We flooded massively about 9 months ago. Insurance damage totalled $80k. We had only just moved and everything was still in boxes down in the back shed. I lost all my books, about 1000 Dvd's, 600 Cd's, tapes and vinyl and two guitars.

Luckily, all my games were up high so they were all safe. The house was fine too, which is the main thing. I'd only just brought my cab and pinnie up from down the back a week earlier too.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm keeping my fingers crossed fo you AJ. Make sure to take apart the Power supply and let it dry well, same for any other components that got wet. As for the wood I guess my best suggestion would be to set a space heaters on low inside it and let it run for a day or two? THere's no going back from water damage but if it was a quick thing you might still have a chance. Good luck!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm keeping my fingers crossed fo you AJ. Make sure to take apart the Power supply and let it dry well, same for any other components that got wet. As for the wood I guess my best suggestion would be to set a space heaters on low inside it and let it run for a day or two? THere's no going back from water damage but if it was a quick thing you might still have a chance. Good luck!

I remember on KLOV a guy told me to strip the cab completely, put a tub of damp rid inside the machine, remove all the panels, and seal those up with trash bags. Supposedly the damp rid removes the moisture from the mdf. It will always have that waviness, but will prevent further damage. Dont know how truthful it was.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I remember on KLOV a guy told me to strip the cab completely, put a tub of damp rid inside the machine, remove all the panels, and seal those up with trash bags. Supposedly the damp rid removes the moisture from the mdf. It will always have that waviness, but will prevent further damage. Dont know how truthful it was.

That is actually really good advice. Put a tub of the stuff on the bottom and get one of the hanging bag ones to place a bit higher up in the cab. Just make sure to seal it really good everywhere you can because excess moisture coming in from outside can render what you put in there pointless.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Sounds like the way to go.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I had to do all of that after hurricane Ivan to save my KI 2 cab. You don't think of it but I also had to give the inside a good spraying down with some Tilex Mold & Mildew remover since the dirty water had caused problems other than just soaking things.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Shit man glad you didnt get hurt or lose your home, hope your stuff isn't damaged.
Damp Rid works follow the instructions and maybe mothballs for the less damp stuff but adding heat guns or space heaters will warp stuff so be careful when applying heat

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
So just got back from the place, water didnt get as high as i thought it did but it still got to the PS and did damage to my couch, dresser, tv stand and my SNES(x2)/PS2/DC/controllers

I will def have to buy some of that stuff and try it out. The owner of the home has flood insurance. Im not to familiar with this kind of thing or claims but I will find out more tomorrow.
Will they give me money for the repairs ill have to do or will they cut me a check and take the cab?

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it couldve been alot worse and nobody was hurt during the flood.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Sorry about this.

Looks like the cab held up better than your flooring.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So just got back from the place, water didnt get as high as i thought it did but it still got to the PS and did damage to my couch, dresser, tv stand and my SNES(x2)/PS2/DC/controllers

I will def have to buy some of that stuff and try it out. The owner of the home has flood insurance. Im not to familiar with this kind of thing or claims but I will find out more tomorrow.
Will they give me money for the repairs ill have to do or will they cut me a check and take the cab?

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it couldve been alot worse and nobody was hurt during the flood.

Unless the home owner lies and says the stuff was his, his flood insurance isn't going to cover your stuff, just the damage to his house.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
That's really unfortunate, the first thing you want to try to do is help the bottom of it dry out as fast as possible. The particle sides will swell a bit, but the bottom should turn out okay. The power supply might be toast but that's a simple replacement. I'd bet the isolation transformer will be completely fine.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Man it physically hurts to look at this.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I just know that in my cab the fly back transformer is on the bottom of the cab.

No... isolation much?

And AJ you can score another power supply for pretty cheap... just do as others said and try and dry the structure of the cab... heat might make it swell up, but that damp rid is a good idea...

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
No... isolation much?

And AJ you can score another power supply for pretty cheap... just do as others said and try and dry the structure of the cab... heat might make it swell up, but that damp rid is a good idea...

Fixed. Yeah I got them backwards.