Comcept Gone Totally Silent On Mighty no.9

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I understand it's not a preorder but it's shady when the game you advertised is finished but you take a bunch of money from another company that had nothing to do with the original Kickstarter to add a bunch of modes that are broken and cause serious delay. It's also weird to go from updates twice a month to and FB post almost everyday to total silence.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I didn't back this project, but out of almost 50 Kickstarters I've participated in I've only gotten totally burned by one so far. That seems like a pretty good ratio even tho it still pisses you off.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I didn't back this project, but out of almost 50 Kickstarters I've participated in I've only gotten totally burned by one so far. That seems like a pretty good ratio even tho it still pisses you off.

I just expected so much more from Infaking. I've supported his games since I was a kid. I really wanted this game and Comcept to succeed. It's just so much sketch going on.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I just expected so much more from Infaking. I've supported his games since I was a kid. I really wanted this game and Comcept to succeed. It's just so much sketch going on.

This is very similar to the last 3-4 months with Pier Solar.

Just be patient. Bank on him either delivering or refunding; this is way too big; if he fucks up; he's fucked for life.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The short version is that they've probably got their heads down crunching to finish it but yeah, super sketchy that they've gone radio silent. Kickstarter's always a crap shoot... it's the reason I generally only throw money at things out of respect for what the artist has done in the past (MST3K, this game, Bloodstained) and not because I'm expecting anything out of the actual project being funded.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I think what a lot of these disgruntled creative folks don't realize is how much infrastructure they left behind when they escaped from their corporate overlords. There are a lot of hats to be worn outside of "just making the game." When they don't have an entire group of staff dedicated to the business side of things, the creative staff has to take on these roles and development slows to a crawl.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I think what a lot of these disgruntled creative folks don't realize is how much infrastructure they left behind when they escaped from their corporate overlords. There are a lot of hats to be worn outside of "just making the game." When they don't have an entire group of staff dedicated to the business side of things, the creative staff has to take on these roles and development slows to a crawl.

Wonder what Kojima is going to end up doing?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Wonder what Kojima is going to end up doing?

He might reconsider his stance on hard-nosed executive types but he's also working under the Sony umbrella so there is an amount of structure there.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't buy a 6 pack of tube socks without reading a few verified reviews. People throw money at anyone with a "cool" idea. Fuck that noise. Well talk when you're product is done. Go get a business to back your shit like everyone else.

This is exactly how I feel about this whole KS BS.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I dont think they should. I just hope this makes people think twice before they throw money at people.

If the housing crisis, and the nigerian princes didn't why would a failed high profile Kickstarter do the trick? All it might do is just blacklist the entire site and concept. That's not really involving thinking per se.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If the housing crisis, and the nigerian princes didn't why would a failed high profile Kickstarter do the trick? All it might do is just blacklist the entire site and concept. That's not really involving thinking per se.

Those other two things have little to nothing to do with the topic, as per usual with you Capt Aspie.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

You know he's putting the fault on people for throwing money at anything and everything, and not Kickstarter as an idea right?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Those other two things have little to nothing to do with the topic, as per usual with you Capt Aspie.

You know he's putting the fault on people for throwing money at anything and everything, and not Kickstarter as an idea right?

Yup its why I mentioned those two examples; I just don't think Mighty No. 9 failing would change people's spending habits. Hence I hope it turns out well.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yup its why I mentioned those two examples; I just don't think Mighty No. 9 failing would change people's spending habits. Hence I hope it turns out well.

How does the housing crisis even remotely relate to peoples video game related spending habits. I think if this game fails, and someone is looking to back a game on kickstarter, they might remember the failure and think twice about pissing money away. Every dev that feels held down by a big company runs to the masses and tries to get funding to make a watered down knock off of a popular franchise. Its getting old quickly.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
How does the housing crisis even remotely relate to peoples video game related spending habits. I think if this game fails, and someone is looking to back a game on kickstarter, they might remember the failure and think twice about pissing money away. Every dev that feels held down by a big company runs to the masses and tries to get funding to make a watered down knock off of a popular franchise. Its getting old quickly.

You make this statement to him as if you assume that he operates on some sort of intelligence.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I backed MN9, Hyper Light Drifter, Obducton, and River City Ransom Underground all around the same time. HLD came out, and it's everything I could have dreamed of. Obduction is a lock and almost done (Cyan has been doing this kind of game for nearly 30 years), but RCRU and MN9...ugh, at least after all the Arc System Works BS, RCRU has been coming with regular updates and builds. MN9 on the other hand...

MN9 was the first game I Kickstarted, and I will be the first to admit it was because of my love for Mega Man. I'm not bitter about the wait, the drama, the Deepsilver/collector's edition nonsense, or anything else for that matter EXCEPT that the game looks like ASS. The engine they used looks archaic (MN9 looks little better than a flash game), the animations are stiff, most of the character designs look lame, and 2.5D looks terrible. If Azure Striker Gunvolt can have sprite graphics and look amazing, why can't this. Right now, ASG reminds me of MMZ beyond the obvious of Inti Creates making both, but it has more of that soul. The MN9 betas/demos were boring, uninspired and downright forgettable.

The most irritating aspect of this is, I felt the passion in the pitch, but the whole thing has felt dialed in. Ah, well, if the money's gone, it's gone. If nothing else, had I not gone to KS for this, I never would have found the HLD campaign; it was worth it for that alone.

Anyways, I still have Bloodstained (thank God the majority had the sense to vote for the cell shaded textures!), Crossing Souls, Starr Mazer, Children of Morta, Paradise Lost and Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs to look forward to.

Ultimately, if you don't have the disposable income you can afford to lose, don't KS something and whine about it later when it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
You make this statement to him as if you assume that he operates on some sort of intelligence.

Intelligent enough to not bitch about backed projects fizzling.

How does the housing crisis even remotely relate to peoples video game related spending habits.

Just as examples to make a point on how people selectively remember history, it applies in that if the game fails I think the same result will happen, as in other cases.

Every dev that feels held down by a big company runs to the masses and tries to get funding to make a watered down knock off of a popular franchise. Its getting old quickly.

o.0 That describes the indie gaming scene, kickstarted or not.

I backed MN9, Hyper Light Drifter, Obducton, and River City Ransom Underground all around the same time. HLD came out, and it's everything I could have dreamed of. Obduction is a lock and almost done (Cyan has been doing this kind of game for nearly 30 years), but RCRU and MN9...ugh, at least after all the Arc System Works BS, RCRU has been coming with regular updates and builds. MN9 on the other hand...

MN9 was the first game I Kickstarted, and I will be the first to admit it was because of my love for Mega Man. I'm not bitter about the wait, the drama, the Deepsilver/collector's edition nonsense, or anything else for that matter EXCEPT that the game looks like ASS. The engine they used looks archaic (MN9 looks little better than a flash game), the animations are stiff, most of the character designs look lame, and 2.5D looks terrible. If Azure Striker Gunvolt can have sprite graphics and look amazing, why can't this. Right now, ASG reminds me of MMZ beyond the obvious of Inti Creates making both, but it has more of that soul. The MN9 betas/demos were boring, uninspired and downright forgettable.

The most irritating aspect of this is, I felt the passion in the pitch, but the whole thing has felt dialed in. Ah, well, if the money's gone, it's gone. If nothing else, had I not gone to KS for this, I never would have found the HLD campaign; it was worth it for that alone.

Anyways, I still have Bloodstained (thank God the majority had the sense to vote for the cell shaded textures!), Crossing Souls, Starr Mazer, Children of Morta, Paradise Lost and Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs to look forward to.

Ultimately, if you don't have the disposable income you can afford to lose, don't KS something and whine about it later when it doesn't work out.

Massive Chalice was the big disappointment for me. Pier Solar I am pleased with, same with all my backed World of Darkness books. I've got waiting: Obduction, Shantae, Bloodstained, Untold Story, Soul Saga, Wraith 20, Changeling 20 and Kitaru.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

I just feel like Cashcom killed part of my childhood and i hoped MN9 would help fill the void. I remember we were pretty excited at first. Now it just seems like even if it comes out it's not going to be what we were looking for.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I just feel like Cashcom killed part of my childhood and i hoped MN9 would help fill the void. I remember we were pretty excited at first. Now it just seems like even if it comes out it's not going to be what we were looking for.

I hear ya brother. I still remember the excitement I felt for the whole duration of the campaign. Now, I've all but forgotten about the title and have already moved on. I'm positive the game will be forgettable and won't capture the magic that MMX, MMZ, and (for me anyway) MMBN had.

There is, however, no doubt in my mind that we Mega Man fans will still see a few more gems in the future, be they fan projects or otherwise ;)

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I hear ya brother. I still remember the excitement I felt for the whole duration of the campaign. Now, I've all but forgotten about the title and have already moved on. I'm positive the game will be forgettable and won't capture the magic that MMX, MMZ, and (for me anyway) MMBN had.

There is, however, no doubt in my mind that we Mega Man fans will still see a few more gems in the future, be they fan projects or otherwise ;)

I'd be happy with another MM Unlimited. MegaPhilX is a damn good MM designer. I still can't wait for the new MMX fan game. Looks to have lots of potential.