Garou Coffee Mugs - Extremely Rare Find(?)

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
So was out at my buddys place yesterday picking up various arcade components and suddenly found a box on the side.

Front view of box packaging:

shq5IPx.jpg

Side view of box packaging:

APzwi6Z.jpg

Inside the box were these:

Coffee Mug Box Front View:

mePucxo.jpg

Coffee Mug Box Rear Side:

XIzjD3f.jpg

The boxes were so old (dated the year of 1999) that the small amount of tape that was sealing the mug boxes shut was falling off on its own.

Set of All 6 Mugs:

WrXuTaA.jpg

Close Up View of Left Mugs:

1lgXEuH.jpg

Close Up View of Right Mugs:

FcqBIjH.jpg

Rear Side of Mugs:

GAPgMVO.jpg

So he had apparently gotten the box as a gift from SNK Japan when they shut down many years ago. He bought off a lot of their remaining inventory and this was one of the gifts they gave him. The box was not full, but did have a few sets in there. I did have to pay a pretty penny to get the mugs though lol. Up until now he was giving it away to people who were spending tens of thousands of dollars on a purchase with him.

I scoured the internet looking for information on these, but can't find anything. I found one listed on Ebay from Europe and some random website where the guy collects SNK mugs, cups, etc who has a set. Other than that, nothing. Can someone shed some light on these? After more info is out there, I'll put the extras I have up for sale in the Neo Selling section.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Those are fucking awesome, thank you for sharing them. How much for just a B. Jenet? :emb:

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Those are fucking awesome, thank you for sharing them. How much for just a B. Jenet? :emb:

Glad you liked it. Not sure on pricing yet. I'll figure that out and let everyone know.

There is one on ebay for $150 from Europe lol. No way I'm going to be that fuckin' ridiculous with the price.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They pop up on ebay all the time for iirc about $13 each.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They're extremely rare but you'll need me to verify their authenticity. Send them to me.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
They pop up on ebay all the time for iirc about $13 each.

I looked in the completed listings and could not find anything. Searched Garou mug, Garou cup, SNK mug, SNK cup, etc.

If you search Garou cup, one pops up for sale at $158.05

They're extremely rare but you'll need me to verify their authenticity. Send them to me.

Sure, after you pay for them :D.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've seen these pop up from time to time, though a full set is pretty cool. I am curious, though, what kind of stuff is your friend selling where people spend tens of thousands of dollars on arcade equipment? Spend $25,000 get a free mug?

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I've seen these pop up from time to time, though a full set is pretty cool. I am curious, though, what kind of stuff is your friend selling where people spend tens of thousands of dollars on arcade equipment? Spend $25,000 get a free mug?

ID8 cabs, Vewlix machines, various current hardware from Japan, etc. I mean it's not just mugs, he gives them other stuff as well. This is just something he would be like "hey, look at this? want it? take it." If he was like "thanks for buying this 15k setup from me, here's a piece of candy" that would kind of be a dick move lol.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Bill Burger had a million of these back in the mid 2000s. They are not rare what so ever. I bought a pile of them at $10 a pop and threw them out when we moved into our house last year. The other funny thing is he would ship them wrapped in SNK posters instead of bubble wrap. EG and Filthy can attest that I had these hanging around the house, collecting dust for close to a decade.

Last edited:

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Those cups look nice, I wonder if they made cups with other IPs.

Will you sell them individually or as a set ?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
cool. never seen these with their boxes before. maybe you should hold on to the rare items in your possession. i saw an ebay auction for a cloth flag with king of fighters 98 logo on it in the mid 2000' that i've never come across again. i regret not buying it.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
They were dusty old coffee mugs...

Well if you had seen these you would know that they are not even big enough to drink coffee from, maybe an espresso. These are only meant for novelty purposes.

cool. never seen these with their boxes before. maybe you should hold on to the rare items in your possession. i saw an ebay auction for a cloth flag with king of fighters 98 logo on it in the mid 2000' that i've never come across again. i regret not buying it.

Damn, that must have been cool. Do you have any pics of it?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Cool item but very common as has been mentioned. Seen sets on eBay for ~$45 for months, no buyers.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well if you had seen these you would know that they are not even big enough to drink coffee from, maybe an espresso. These are only meant for novelty purposes.

Japanese coffee mugs are typically smaller. I have a Sega one sitting on my desk at work that I keep pens in, and its the same size as these. They're made to drink from, not be a novelty.

**Edit**

Just realized that your buddy is Bill Burger isn't it. Bill bought a rather large portion of SNK inventory when they were going out. I knew the story sounded familiar. I happen to be one of the few people here who like him, but I honestly hope you did t spend crazy money on these mugs.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They were dusty old coffee mugs that I paid like $30 for in 2005. What was I gonna put them on a shelf?

No, in the box then a clear box on a pedestal in a VGA case(has to be much bigger than mug box to prevent insertion marks) then on a felt pad on the shelf....under a spotlight. I thought this was obvious.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

A cup of coffee is only 6oz, not 60oz like Americans think.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

unfortunately i don't. this was over ten years ago. i tried to find it many times, even google imaged it many times, but to no avail. it was a light cream coloured strong cloth, hemp type of material, with a blue king of fighters 98 logo printed on it. simple, but looked nice. never saw it again.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Yeah these are very common as has been mentioned. They get posted for $10/pop NOS on le bay and never sell.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
My wife told me I sold the three mugs I had kept. Looked for the thread and I dont see it, but it is possible that I did. I know for a fact I bought one for Slicey Pete for secret santa and a few for myself, they were cheap and they sat around forever.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Seen these heaps of times. Not teh rarez.