Gunbird 2 on Android

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Just a heads up, not sure how long it's been out, but Mobirix came out with Gunbird 2. Not usually a fan of shmups on the phone, but this one looks and plays nice. It's free too, so it's worth a look :)

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I'm sure it could be worse.

1221588-gb1.jpg

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Hopefully it's good. The Dodonpachi for the iphone was total butts. Press and hold the screen and you get instant auto fire. You can move your ship as fast you want around the screen. Just doesn't feel like a real shooter anymore...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
For mobile Shmups, the cave games were awesome. What do.you want to tap the touch screen to fire? That's gonna work great.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
mobirix did the mobile ports of the striker 1945 games and tengai and they were pretty good

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hopefully it's good. The Dodonpachi for the iphone was total butts. Press and hold the screen and you get instant auto fire. You can move your ship as fast you want around the screen. Just doesn't feel like a real shooter anymore...

lol, what a fucken sap...

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
For mobile Shmups, the cave games were awesome. What do.you want to tap the touch screen to fire? That's gonna work great.

I don't think I was clear with my last post. I meant that I only prefer to play shmups with a controller. On the shmups that I've usually played, when you move the ship, there is a set speed/ movement for moving the ship. This does not apply to mobile shmups, as fast as you move your finger around the screen, that's how your ship would move. Also, on console/ arcade based shmups pressing the fire button would have different affects to the bullet stream than holding the button down. I didn't see that at all on Dodonpachi for iOS, it was just the constant bullet stream when held down.

I understand that there are limitations for mobile shooters when developing them. I am just saying that I prefer the traditional styles/ methods over what is currently coming out. Who knows, I might end up liking it down the road, but I highly doubt it.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I don't think I was clear with my last post. I meant that I only prefer to play shmups with a controller. On the shmups that I've usually played, when you move the ship, there is a set speed/ movement for moving the ship. This does not apply to mobile shmups, as fast as you move your finger around the screen, that's how your ship would move. Also, on console/ arcade based shmups pressing the fire button would have different affects to the bullet stream than holding the button down. I didn't see that at all on Dodonpachi for iOS, it was just the constant bullet stream when held down.

I understand that there are limitations for mobile shooters when developing them. I am just saying that I prefer the traditional styles/ methods over what is currently coming out. Who knows, I might end up liking it down the road, but I highly doubt it.

Yeah I think we'd all rather player them with a joystick, but for a mobile title that whole.series is pretty awesome. Playing a shmup on a phone they way you want to would be next to impossible.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think you're not alone on that. Most of us prefer the traditional play, however the touch screen controls work awesome for what thy are, I wouldn't have those games on my phone or tablet any other way. If I want traditional, I'll play traditional on something else other than mobile hardware.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well, I've played it for a few hours now. It's good! Graphics look great, controls are good, and the goals needed to unlock the characters is actually doable, so paying isn't needed unless you're impatient.

Chempop

That art was for the PSP version that got CANCELLED.

Also, on console/ arcade based shmups pressing the fire button would have different affects to the bullet stream than holding the button down. I didn't see that at all on Dodonpachi for iOS

You aren't going to get the same precise level of tapping shot for building hits on your combo in the iOS ver, but all the arcade DDP games have hold C for rapid.

Chempop

yes, victor the cleaner is the stage 4 boss

601px-Nikitagsp1.jpg

Jreach

n00b
I had no idea strikers 2 and 3 were out on iOS. They are pretty decent for free, although I'd much rather pay $5 and not deal with the ads/coin/gem crap.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I didn't even know Dodonpachi is on iOS. I always get so worried that if I don't buy a game right away (or even if I do buy it) it doesn't get updated later and if I upgrade my phone I won't get a chance to get it again.