Advice for burning PC-FX images?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I've been trying to burn Chip Chan Kick and it's not going so well. I've made multiple copies with 2 different burning programs (Alcohol 120% and imgburn). While the game boots, whenever video or an audio track plays, it displays a "CD READ ERROR" after a few seconds.

Has anyone successfully done this and could you advise me?

Peace!

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I use imgburn at 4x speed. That's really all there is to it.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I use imgburn at 4x speed. That's really all there is to it.

Yeah PCE and FX games just need to be burned at your lowest speed I used what ever software I had on my mac years ago and it worked fine, Unlike trying to burn DC games on mac :(

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Hmm, I'll give it another shot. I figured slow burning would be the way to go. With Alcohol you can't go slower than 10X.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
10x is usually the lowest modern CD burners will go. It's worth it to drop $40 on an older external CD writer and a nice pack of quality cdrs if your burning discs for older machines.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Media, as well as burn speed, could also be an issue. My Duo and PC-FX were a bit picky with media. I found a brand that worked and stuck with it for all my burns (I used Verbatim Azo, and I've heard good things about Taiyo Yuden media).

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Media, as well as burn speed, could also be an issue. My Duo and PC-FX were a bit picky with media. I found a brand that worked and stuck with it for all my burns (I used Verbatim Azo, and I've heard good things about Taiyo Yuden media).

I bought a bunch of the "recommended" brand several years to burn PC engine games and even then they were testy. I got lucky that Sapphire worked great.

Question: Will software autodetect an older drive that can go slower speeds or will it just force you to use what they suggest? Picking burn speed on some of these modern burning programs is just a drop-down menu and you have to pick whatever choices they have on that.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Generally, when I burn stuff and put the burn speed down to 4x if the drive's slowest burn speed is 10x it will just spit out a warning message saying something along the lines of 'Drive lowest burn speed is 10x, changing burn speed'.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
It might also be worth knowing that you have a good rip of the game, even if it does work on an emulator while mounted it could still have been ripped incorrectly.