Panasonic service disc 2 - Panasonic Q DVD region free

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hi,
I'm looking for a Panasonic service disc 2 to region free the DVD player for the Q.
Seemingly it's not possible to make a copy of the OG disk as there's an area on the disc you can't access.
Don't know if that's true. Has anyone experienced the DVD firmware upgrade for the Q?
I do know you need to upgrade the video RAM to play PAL DVDs even after the firmware upgrade (you mingy people at Panasonic who didn't install enough RAM to cut cost on a $440 unit!).

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
More power to you. I wouldn't wanna be poking around an expensive system when I can get the job done with a $25 DVD player.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nah. The only reason to have a Q over a regular Cube is because it can play DVDs. If you're just going to throw it on the shelf what's the point? Then it's just another collectard idol.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Nah. The only reason to have a Q over a regular Cube is because it can play DVDs. If you're just going to throw it on the shelf what's the point? Then it's just another collectard idol.
Ditto.
For instance I don't understand people ordering cars with leather seats and then putting covers on them "to protect them/not to scratch them/so the day they sell the car they'll still be new/etc.". Fuck that! Enjoy them!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well yeah, buying a $400 GameCube is dumb. They look awesome, but unless you got a crazy deal, it's not worth it. Still doesn't mean you should wear out its laser by playing DVDs on it.

A PS2 phat plays DVDs and I know you won't play them on yours Gohan, and that system is like $30.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Get in line buddy, there's a lot of people looking for those DVDs, best to go to AVS forum and ask around. Those are the guys who might loan you one/sell you one.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Get in line buddy, there's a lot of people looking for those DVDs, best to go to AVS forum and ask around. Those are the guys who might loan you one/sell you one.
I've managed to find everything I need except the HEX file to program the 12C508 you have to install on the encoder board (not the one to switch between JAP/US mode by pressing the power button). Long is the road...

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Hi,
I'm looking for a Panasonic service disc 2 to region free the DVD player for the Q.
Seemingly it's not possible to make a copy of the OG disk as there's an area on the disc you can't access.
Don't know if that's true. Has anyone experienced the DVD firmware upgrade for the Q?
I do know you need to upgrade the video RAM to play PAL DVDs even after the firmware upgrade (you mingy people at Panasonic who didn't install enough RAM to cut cost on a $440 unit!).

I modded my Q to be region-free when I ordered it from HK on release date..........never deal with service disc b4..............
I have to say it's a beautiful collection but I rarely use it........Gohanx, i know what you're saying..........kinda regret spending $$ on something like this.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I have to say it's a beautiful collection but I rarely use it........

I use my Q a lot, but probably because when I moved it, the disc drive was all busted up and I put a ton of work into fixing it, so it seems wasteful to have it sit. PanaQ bad tray.jpg
Why purchase an item only to have it sit after all?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A PS2 phat plays DVDs and I know you won't play them on yours Gohan, and that system is like $30.

Only because the PS2 is a lame DVD player. Back when it came out the PS2 was my main DVD player until I finally bought a standalone player many years later. Currently, my PS3 serves that function.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The dvl might be the only DVD player that was worse than the ps2! My old $99 in 2002 walmart Apex player was better than both.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
The DVL's aren't that great as DVD players honestly, as they have to balance the output between LD and DVD, so they do not really excel at either.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I've managed to find everything I need except the HEX file to program the 12C508 you have to install on the encoder board (not the one to switch between JAP/US mode by pressing the power button). Long is the road...
I've discovered this 12C508 is used to change region via the remote control. Not really useful. I'll give it a try without installing it. If I experience issues I'll modify the RV31 code to force region 0 (free) whatever the keys you press on the remote.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The DVL's aren't that great as DVD players honestly, as they have to balance the output between LD and DVD, so they do not really excel at either.

STFU the DVL-700 is your god!