Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sega Saturn HSS 1030

  1. #1
    Guerilla Warrior

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,730

    Sega Saturn HSS 1030

    I have the Virtua Fighter Pro dual joystick. A few years ago the board broke on the buttons on the left side, so I had the idea of using Auto quick connects to rewire the buttons bypassing the board. It worked for a year or so.

    One winter I ended up having an electrostatic shock hit the metal plate. When I tried to play on it I had the left joystick's right cherry switch no longer working, and the right joystick's right cherry switch constantly on. I was at a loss at the time so I shelved it.

    In a month or so I am taking my stepdaughter to Anime Central in Chicago, and hoped to get this thing working so I can use it on a modded xbox. I had the idea maybe it reset itself (i.e. the electrostatic shock wore off), but no luck when I tried it again.

    I was wondering if anybody would know what it might be (other then I'm an idiot for trying to wire with quick connects)? It seemed weird that both sides were effected since the right side was unmodded.
    Last edited by Mr Bakaboy; 04-13-2016 at 09:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Kyokugen Trainee
    DecepticonZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston

    Posts
    4,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bakaboy View Post
    I have the Virtua Fighter Pro dual joystick. A few years ago the board broke on the buttons on the left side, so I had the idea of using Auto quick connects to rewire the buttons bypassing the board. It worked for a year or so.

    One winter I ended up having an electrostatic shock hit the metal plate. When I tried to play on it I had the left joystick's right cherry switch no longer working, and the right joystick's right cherry switch constantly on. I was at a loss at the time so I shelved it.

    In a month or so I am taking my stepdaughter to Anime Central in Chicago, and hoped to get this thing working so I can use it on a modded xbox. I had the idea maybe it reset itself (i.e. the electrostatic shock wore off), but no luck when I tried it again.

    I was wondering if anybody would know what it might be (other then I'm an idiot for trying to wire with quick connects)? It seemed weird that both sides were effected since the right side was unmodded.
    It sounds like the board was damaged from the shock. Your best bet is to yank those PCBs out of there and wire in some multi console PCBs. It's cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    It's not a snake. It's his magical rod asshole.

  3. #3
    Guerilla Warrior

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,730
    Recommendations? Never tried to mess with them though was tempted to get the arcade shock one that was universal 360, PS3, XBO, and PS4 for the two SF x TK I have hooked up together. Also not sure how it would work with the Saturn not having a select/back button. I know the converters just wire it to Start + A, or Start + , but dunno how a multi console PCB would work with that.

  4. #4
    Genyosai's Servant
    skate323k137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Earth, Dimension C137

    Posts
    2,970
    I had an agetec dc stick die a similar death. One shock in my old poorly grounded apartment and suddenly random buttons were stuck down. At the time I used a pcb from a busted up saturn pad and converted it to a saturn stick. Anyway I really like the ps360+ pcbs and highly recommend them.

  5. #5
    Guerilla Warrior

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    Anyway I really like the ps360+ pcbs and highly recommend them.
    Thanks I just ordered two of them. It was the first thing that came up on google when I searched multi console joystick pcb. Looked at the tutorial of putting it together and it looked easier then messing with it the 1st time. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the missing buttons since this is a Saturn setup. Debating on drilling and mounting around the Saturn logo and having the extra buttons there (figured I would put the Xbox/PS button there as well as the select/back buttons), but it's really hard to get myself to defile something like this.

  6. #6
    Shadow Cutter Dark Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    21,456
    IF you want newer gen stuff and past gen, I recommend the brook, if you want it working with 360/PS3 and some consoles before it then I recommend the PS360+

  7. #7
    Guerilla Warrior

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,730
    Honestly I need it to do old for the most part. I want it to run an OG Xbox and PS2. I want to make a portable arcade setup by the anime convention in late May. I just want it to run without the missing buttons for that date. Because of that the newer gen consoles are not on the table right now, but I did order the usb connector if I decide to mess w/ it.

  8. #8
    Guerilla Warrior

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,730
    So, I got the PS360+ and tried connecting it. I tried it out on a Sega Dreamcast on a CRT TV. It completely didn't work. One thing it noticed was it caused a pulse feedback on the TV screen. My gut feeling is it's a ground issue. The problem is which?

    I used the multiple ground connections available. I had 4 wires connected by quick connects to the 4 cherry switches. Wrapped the other end around the main ground wire going to the PCB, and capped the 5 wires together. I also did this for the 4 Punch, 4 Kick, and the Start button each havig their own ground (though the start button was wired directly into the PCB ground since it was the only button I was currently using). I watched a tutorial video and they only used one ground connection on the PCB and daisy chained the rest to each other. Could this be my problem that I need to daisy chain instead?

    The other ideas I had were the start button I recycled the buttons that were made for a PCB by wrapping a wire around the lead and soldering the wire to the lead. Don't think that would cause a problem unless my seriously sucky soldering skills caused a bridge to which I would think that would only kill the start button.

    Also the PCB is not screwed into anything. Partially because I was testing and partially because there's no real good place to screw it in without messing up the plastic. Dunno if to be ground it needs to be attached to anything.

    That's about all I could think of other then crossed wires or something else I screwed up. I tried to be careful, but this is a first for me and not surprised I screwed something up. any advice would be appreciated.

  9. #9
    Shadow Cutter Dark Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    21,456
    It's time to send it to someone that knows what they're doing. I think you're just making things too complicated and that could be the problem. I would test each input with the same device (button or random microswitch to make sure everything is working first before hooking it all up, just to make usre the're's nothing conflicting. Also a continuity test on the wiring would be helpul.

  10. #10
    Amano's Drinking Buddy
    ballzdeepx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Nakatomi Towers

    Posts
    2,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bakaboy View Post
    So, I got the PS360+ and tried connecting it. I tried it out on a Sega Dreamcast on a CRT TV. It completely didn't work. One thing it noticed was it caused a pulse feedback on the TV screen. My gut feeling is it's a ground issue. The problem is which?

    I used the multiple ground connections available. I had 4 wires connected by quick connects to the 4 cherry switches. Wrapped the other end around the main ground wire going to the PCB, and capped the 5 wires together. I also did this for the 4 Punch, 4 Kick, and the Start button each havig their own ground (though the start button was wired directly into the PCB ground since it was the only button I was currently using). I watched a tutorial video and they only used one ground connection on the PCB and daisy chained the rest to each other. Could this be my problem that I need to daisy chain instead?

    The other ideas I had were the start button I recycled the buttons that were made for a PCB by wrapping a wire around the lead and soldering the wire to the lead. Don't think that would cause a problem unless my seriously sucky soldering skills caused a bridge to which I would think that would only kill the start button.

    Also the PCB is not screwed into anything. Partially because I was testing and partially because there's no real good place to screw it in without messing up the plastic. Dunno if to be ground it needs to be attached to anything.

    That's about all I could think of other then crossed wires or something else I screwed up. I tried to be careful, but this is a first for me and not surprised I screwed something up. any advice would be appreciated.
    Sounds like a ground issue to me. I'd def daisy chain the grounds on all of your buttons and your stick and go from there.

  11. #11
    Raiden's Valet
    chinitosoccer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Uruguay South America

    Posts
    586
    I Have been told that the PS360+ adds a bit of input lag, there are older multi console pcbs, like theCtulhu from Toodless that are a bit better in that regard, I have a pair of those installed in my dual stick and they are indeed faster.
    Last edited by chinitosoccer; 04-28-2016 at 10:33 AM.

  12. #12
    Shadow Cutter Dark Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MASS

    Posts
    21,456
    PS360+ adds lag to RJ45 consoles hook ups...that's news to me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •