Arcade Disaster

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
$2400 for an estimate?

That's insane. That has to be for something more.

I'm not familiar with specific issues in your area, but the drain tube should work, you have to dig out around your foundation to put it in.

Was the 2400 to put in drain tubes? That sounds closer to reasonable.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
o.0 In new England, I wouldn't put anything valuable down in a basement. You're asking for mildew.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Gilty - I used this book as a bible when I remodeled my basement. We did everything ourselves - not knowing what tools you have, you'll need to spend a few hundred, maybe up to $1,500 for the right tools, but everything else is just materials at cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Remodeling-Ba...ent&qid=1462414039&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1 (I don't know why it's 4 stars. It is an excellent book, detailed, layman's terms, plenty of pics - it's really really well done.)

For water issues - what kind of foundation do you have? Does it leak now? Do you have a sump? Do you have floor drains? Does the roof have gutters? I live in a flood zone and high water table where it just hangs in the clay near the surface, but we have a fully finished basement and no water issues.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
DZ is right: I'm gonna leave it to a professional. Our weather fluxuates CONSTANTLY - I would rather someone that knows what they're talking about/doing finish the basement beforeI get in over my head and then have something catastrophic happen down the road.

I'll take a look into that book, tho, much appreciated.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
DZ is right: I'm gonna leave it to a professional. Our weather fluxuates CONSTANTLY - I would rather someone that knows what they're talking about/doing finish the basement beforeI get in over my head and then have something catastrophic happen down the road.

I'll take a look into that book, tho, much appreciated.

If you need a hand with things, let me know. There isn't much I haven't tackled in my house renovation. I'm not huge on framing or anything to due with gas though.

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
So how's the plan going for the basement gameroom? Any systems alive after the tinkering or what was all those on the flor? Can't go wrong with that big red cab thou! Wish we had em in Sweden :(

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
So how's the plan going for the basement gameroom? Any systems alive after the tinkering or what was all those on the flor? Can't go wrong with that big red cab thou! Wish we had em in Sweden :(

Well, the last few days have been pretty busy with kids activities. I have also been trying to find time to really look over the cab.

I have been trying to figure out a floor plan for the room. Do I go with a simple square, do I want nooks and crannies all over, etc. I have gone through a basement flood of my own in the past, and lost some valuable shit. I saw another member here just recently had one as well, and with the discussion in this thread, I know i will be doing one thing. My shelves will be up off the floor. Not floor to ceiling.

Also, I think it has gone past being a simple game room. My mom saved all my old toys. She still has all my baseball cards. Board games, vhs tapes, models, books. I think my childhood huffy is even somewhere around the parents farm. It will all go on display(as long as I can control the 'old' smell). It has become a nostalgia room, or maybe an eighties room. But not a collected one, this is the actual shit my childhood hands touched.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
As far as the tinkering. Yeah most of those systems are dead. There are about about six totes in the pics, I don't think you can see all of them. Most of the good stuff is in a tote. The aes is good, and the SNES minis are good.

Last edited:

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I'm having such a fucked up day. Mostly work shit. I'm stuck between a fat lazy piece of shit, and a vengeful woman. I get along with the woman now, but if I say anything, that will change. I have been carrying this fat fuck for two years, and now him and her are violating(raping) unwritten work rules that have been in place for decades, to his advantage.

My kids trampoline blew out of the yard, through my field, into my neighbors, and messed up his beans. It's a thirteen foot wide, ten foot tall(with the net) tramp. I thought for sure this big ass thing didn't need to be staked down. I was comically wrong.

But worst of all, I fried my mv-1 first thing in my day. What a horrible omen of the fucked up day to come. Cheap fucking eBay/Chinese power supply. It was my first board, and I was surprised at how hurt and sentimental I got about it. Hopefully it's just a voltage regulator.

I know this wasn't the update anyone wanted to this thread, and I promise it's coming. I just wanted to vent and report on a death in my collection.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
maybe you need to change the thread title?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
by having that negative connatation you might be inviting more trouble? it wasn't a disaster if it was never done to be ruined either?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
sorry to hear that OP... if you want to continue venting, there are a couple of work shit threads in Unrelated and the War room... about that Mobo - do you know what was fried yet?

by having that negative connatation you might be inviting more trouble?
superstitious much?

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
not yet, I'm gonna check it out tonight. I have a rare night off, actually, four in a row without vacation or calling in. I guess that's my karma evening out.

I'm not sure how it happened, but my power supply was putting out 24v on all terminals. I got a crappy screen, it cut out, I shut it off, tried again and nothing. Well not nothing, I heard this faint repetitive click out of the audio. I grabbed a nice power supply from work, hooked it up. And nothing, not even the click. The led came on though. Tried my mv-1c, and it worked great.

As far as the venting, I'm good, a couple of hours later and some breakfast and I'm feeling better

Xsqsearchfunctionmod2016

Karou, did you mean negativity in the work post? Cause yeah, that was probably a lot of negativity.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm not sure how it happened, but my power supply was putting out 24v on all terminals.
oh shit, that's criminal - any way to get money out of the seller?

I'd start by looking for strange bubbles on top of the chips (especially video ram)... I really hope you get it fixed, but get mentally ready to accept it might be fubar...

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I don't see any bubbling on the chips, and I have 12 into the regulator, 5 coming out. Looks like I need to research what to do next, might have to hit up the techs.

As far as the supply, I bought it about six months ago, and it was 15 bucks. Not really worth the hassle of returning it now. Plus I have a far better one now.

spVogBr.jpg

Last edited: