Lost Neo Geo Prototype FOUND, REVEALED & RELEASED : "DarkSeed"

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Beautiful job! I truly thank you for everything you've done for the community.

Marek

Banned
I have been in contact with the game's producer Kengo Asai for a month now through a translator. Really nice guy. I found out that he did not have a copy of his own game, so I sent him the one I made and he got it yesterday.

7nbN47J.jpg

D'awww turfy. What a guy.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
I have been in contact with the game's producer Kengo Asai for a month now through a translator. Really nice guy. I found out that he did not have a copy of his own game, so I sent him the one I made and he got it yesterday.

7nbN47J.jpg

Well, that's fucking great AND cute. This is one hell of a gesture. Sure the guy smiled from ear to ear when he received it.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,

7nbN47J.jpg

Pretty slick looking insert. Does the guy have a Neo Geo to play it?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
This is shades of a rare painting discovered underneath a print of something else...
The mysteries are never ending with this legendary machine!
Congratulations on some truly epic sh8t NTM!
BB

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member

That cover art looks excellent. Great job!
It just needs some text on the back and it will look perfect... but since it's an unfinished prototype it's kind of fitting.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That is a classic gesture right there, NTM. Well played, as always.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I still think this find is so amazing. NTM has always had a good eye. His story of getting the game to boot the first time is like something out of a dream.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words everyone, but it was the least I could do for him. I would be pretty bummed not to have something that I worked so hard on.

Does the guy have a Neo Geo to play it?

Yep, he has a Neo. I made sure he had one before I sent it. If he didn't, I would have sent a spare MVS board as well.

He was very happy to receive it and play it again all these 20 years later. He sent me some pics of it playing when he got it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words everyone, but it was the least I could do for him. I would be pretty bummed not to have something that I worked so hard on.

Yep, he has a Neo. I made sure he had one before I sent it. If he didn't, I would have sent a spare MVS board as well.

He was very happy to receive it and play it again all these 20 years later. He sent me some pics of it playing when he got it.

That's pretty fuckin' awesome.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper

I hadn't visited here for a while and could not have come close to imagine such a beautiful update! What a surprise, and what a gesture. There really isn't a tip of the hat large enough to convey the proper amount of respect. Thank you for being such a class act.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Great job, as usual turfy. Such a great ending to an amazing story. I can't imagine how touched that guy must be.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Couldn't have been a better finish to that. Got it, had a neo, would have supplied one no less, and got a thank you with some pics of it in action by the creator.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Well this was all a fantastic read, well done NTM for all you've done, and that was a brilliant touch supplying the game at the end. It's always amazing to see things still turning up that no one knows about from the golden era (for me) of gaming. If only some of the uber collectors would be as open and generous with their hoarded wares.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
f only some of the uber collectors would be as open and generous with their hoarded wares.

What's sad is it probably wont change anything with the hoarders. This is a perfect example of why this stuff should be released. Kengo Asai didn't even have his own game and how extremely selfish it would have been for me to keep it. Even though I own the game, it's not "mine". And thats what these hoarders need to realize. The only thing they did was shell out money to purchase it.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
What's sad is it probably wont change anything with the hoarders. This is a perfect example of why this stuff should be released. Kengo Asai didn't even have his own game and how extremely selfish it would have been for me to keep it. Even though I own the game, it's not "mine". And thats what these hoarders need to realize. The only thing they did was shell out money to purchase it.

Maybe something is wrong with their self-confidence and they need that to feel important.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I can think of a few people in the NES circles who are like that. They will gobble up and and everything they can. They live working with the lie or truly in the delusion they own the game on the physical medium they purchased. What is sickening is some will just hoard, back it up and hide it or cock tease with pictures. Yet you have others who will out of their so called generosity will make a limited numbered run of physical copies for a considerable amount of money for a fraction of the price it cost them to make it and buy the original medium, make thousands or ten thousand plus on the games yet talk like they're some patron saint and in it for the community and not to profit -- then on the back end release the ROM sometimes for the plebes to enjoy. They're all crooks peddling stolen code that for whatever the reason should have never left the original owners clutches either by failure, fault, or a media outlet not returning property once they were done for evaluation purposes.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Why doesn't anyone care about my long lost Riding Hero Proto? :emb:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I'm going to post something in this thread but I want to make it good. I've been outside mulching all day in the heat for father's day. If I can start drinking beer now I'll be back tonight hopefully with something decent to contribute to this discussion.

In the meantime, I will simply say that, for me, this thread was probably the best thing to happen on this site in recent memory. A much needed dose of positive energy and good vibes, so much so that it may put in jeopardy this site's reputation around the web. We have to be careful.

;)

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
NTM, that's awesome. Let's hope something more comes from sending him a copy. NGDev games are fine, but having that 90s arcade style graphics and gameplay from a game that actually came out then is awesome to own.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
In the meantime, I will simply say that, for me, this thread was probably the best thing to happen on this site in recent memory. A much needed dose of positive energy and good vibes, so much so that it may put in jeopardy this site's reputation around the web. We have to be careful.

;)

Agree ;)