Lost Neo Geo Prototype FOUND, REVEALED & RELEASED : "DarkSeed"

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
That's a cool name.

Are you interested in trying to make the game complete by having some people work on the game?

The rom is out there, people are free to do whatever they want with it. I seriously doubt they will be able to make a working game out of the existing code. People could probably take the existing sprites and work with those inside a new fighting engine.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
DarkSeed. That is a cool name. If someone finished this game so far from when it was originally made, that would be awesome.

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
That's dope! Has anyone gotten ahold of the producer to see if there is a more complete prototype?

Loading up my Chrome browser now to translate this article since I can't read Japanese.

The producer has a more complete version but given what he says, sounds like he wouldn't give it out. I do know the people he works for however...

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The producer has a more complete version but given what he says, sounds like he wouldn't give it out. I do know the people he works for however...

He says he has a more complete version in that article?

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The system described in that interview sounds pretty cool and innovative for the time. Does anyone know any other games with comparable systems?

For the people who worked on them or owned the games, is it/was it standard practice to not talk about unreleased/cancelled games, even in present times? If I were someone who worked on the game, I would have liked to talk about it, even if it did not get released, maybe even share what did get completed if I could. That maybe a pretty naive view, but who knows how many cool games were in development for the neo that we may not be aware of. Just knowing about such games today would be cool.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Thanks for the new info. Quite a shame this game didn't get finished, sounds like a really innovative system!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
From the sounds of it the game still needs to be named Dragons Heaven as its probably more likley to have ended with this name. It gives an insight why some people who have these prototypes do no let them out. It does also sound like there wouls be a more complete version of the game somewhere.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Shou, can you ask the Dev if the game got an NGH number assigned later in development ?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
...Development PCBs aren't really supposed to leak out, so there's a part of me that's a bit distraught about that.

I dont understand why someone would feel distraught about something like this coming out 20 years later? Maybe its a bad translation, or maybe he is distraught that this less complete version was found. It would be cool if this leads to a more complete version getting dumped.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
He says he has a more complete version in that article?

From what he has said and the ammount of developement he suggested happened there would be. What you have is the devboard an artist worked with and not the dev board of the lead programmers.

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
No, I received info from elsewhere.

If that turns out to be true hopefully he'll release it.

Regardless, I have sent him a message offering to make and send him a copy of the game if he doesn't have one. I would hate to have worked on something and not have anything to show for it. I'm happy to pass the same offer to the artists who worked on it as well.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Hopefully the producer has a change of heart and releases the version he has.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's pretty awesome that Turf got kudos from the games creator.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I thought the name was familiar lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Seed_(video_game)

Made in '92 :keke:.

Yeah, Dark Seed is the name of a pre-existing game. I for one really doubt this prototype could have ever shipped with a name already taken by something else.

mmcafe said:
- The game features two characters per team as a way to expand on the game's system of effecting gameplay depending on time of day. Asai got the idea after watching a film where a girl and a guy could never be together in human form because the girl turns into an Eagle during the day and the guy turns into a wolf at night. Looking back, Asai thinks he could've done something better.

You mean Ladyhawk starring Matthew Broderick?

Last edited:

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Yeah, Dark Seed is the name of a pre-existing game. I for one really doubt this prototype could have ever shipped with a name already taken by something else.

Doubt it would've been an issue in Japan, but yeah, in the US the title would've been different. You know, like the whole "Resident Evil" / Biohazard thing. I know that Biohazard was a band, not a pre-existing game, but still...