Lost Neo Geo Prototype FOUND, REVEALED & RELEASED : "DarkSeed"

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Well holy shit, this came out of fucking nowhere. Here's hoping we can get more info on it and, if possible, the full thing. One day. Maybe.

Mystery

Sakura's Bank Manager
This is fantastic, made me dust off my old account to post here. Absolutely fascinating. Thanks to NTM for bringing this to the public.
I can't wait to see what comes from this, like NTM said, hopefully other protos will see the light of day. But just following this story is really thrilling.

What a great community :)

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
http://p.twipple.jp/6nL6A

Japanese speakers, does this say anything interesting?

My Japanese is rusty but they seem to be just interviewing him about the Neo Geo mega 'Puzzle Character Game' Mania Idol Exchanger (Money Puzzle Exchanger). I didn't see any big revelations there or mentions of other titles. You may want to have someone less rusty with Japanese re-read it tho.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Cool, i had seen afew links about this game on FB, didnt realize it was one of our own guys that had found it. Pretty cool find. Id use knife

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Great work on tracking info down so far. I'm really excited to see where this goes. If nothing else, it seems to have pulled a bunch of the old team together on social media :) Glad their work is finally being seen and appreciated, even if it was a pain in the ass at the time. Twenty years later, all that hard work is finally seeing the light of day.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm sorta just relaxin'... but here's an observation...

It takes an unreleased proto... and lots of net exposure for some of our oldtyme members to post...

...I don't condone the lurking... it just seems a shame that people only feel the need to post when something like this happens instead of keeping the place alive... and ticking over...

xROTx

PS. Just sayin' you lurkin fooks...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Today's lurker can be tomorrow's contributing member.

Who knows? A fair number of lurkers and/or long gone returning members might stick around once the dust has settled.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

It takes an unreleased proto... and lots of net exposure for some of our oldtyme members to post...

...I don't condone the lurking... it just seems a shame that people only feel the need to post when something like this happens instead of keeping the place alive... and ticking over...

xROTx

There has been very little worth discussing. I'd say it takes something interesting on here once in a while to keep the folks interested enough in posting. There's only so many BS threads I care to contribute to. I'm sure a lot of the old folks feel the same. It's not really a fault of this site, it's more a fault of that in fifteen years we've done and said a lot, and it takes something like this to spark a conversation these days.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Today's lurker can be tomorrow's contributing member....

This.

I was definitely a lurker for the longest time. I have been an arcade hardware and game fanatic for as long as I can remember. I only REALLY started getting in to NG stuff about 8 months ago when a buddy of mine started teaching me more about its history and the hardware itself. I don't idle in the n-g IRC, but there are others that I usually talk in. I met up with my buddy at MGC after traveling across the country to go to MGC as he said there would be a fair amount of n-g members there. I thought it was a good idea as I really wanted to meet this community. Had a great fucking time and am definitely going to go to more retro arcade conferences.

As far as contributions, I was starting to search and put together a repo for all MVS mini marquee scans for officially released games and custom ones for unofficially released games. To my surprise, after this many years, a good amount are still unable to be found in a high resolution scan format or just be found in general. I started hunting YAJ and eBay to find the marquees, but found that buying a cart with marquees was around the same price. Also, at least buying the cart as well will allow me to enjoy it in my cab. I've started to buy MVS carts with flyers to scan to create a full repo to add to Lithy's old marquee thread along with getting them hosted on Mattroid's Arcade Crusade site.

I'm just going to let others think and say what they want, I don't give a fuck. I'm having fun posting up and chatting it up with everyone I met at MGC.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster

Be careful RoT, you might invoke ChrisR. Just can't wait for him claim he has a working copy.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Be careful RoT, you might invoke ChrisR. Just can't wait for him claim he has a working copy.

Lulz... im surprised the dynamic duo haven't put their own take on this yet...

...Not that I'd care... but they sorta invoke a bad feeling and that would detract from the thread...

xROTx

PS. Fook 'em...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

xROTx

I agree, I'd like to see the old timers back on the saddle...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Lol, been a lurker for a long time. Only posting now as I met with the whole community at MGC and they really got me in to it. Who knows though, you're probably right. I'll probably be gone in less than a year...

it still was good having you in the room with us during the unveiling.

ive been checking in to make sure they would be the very last people to report on this. they were. the only news they seem interested in when it is breaking is wooden cmvs's, fake protos with nostalgia names attached, and tumblrina art projects.

Last edited:

idzuna

n00b
http://p.twipple.jp/6nL6A

Japanese speakers, does this say anything interesting?

Okay, I am very out of the loop with Neo-Geo and all the companies/people involved here, so bear with me, but I registered so I can maybe add some clarification and info here.

This (very hard to read) Neo Geo Freak article is interviewing a "Kengo Asai" from Face. It initially touches on Money Idol Exchanger, or I guess Money Puzzle Exchanger in the west. What may be important here though, is that it continues on to ask about his next planned Neo Geo projects, to which he answers that he may start work on a sequel to Exchanger, but that it's not a sure thing. He continues on and says that, besides for that, there is one more project which he is in fact working on, describing it as a "Fighter-ish" title. He explains that it's a fighter, but that it's tough to call it simply a fighter since it has more story-driven elements.

The second key point is that he mentions that while it is the first fighting game for them as a company, that he himself has previous experience both in design and production on Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, and that the other staff there have also worked on fighters. He also says that while Gowcaizer "certainly wasn't a perfect fighter," that there were many things they weren't able to do with it, that might be nice to work into this new "Fighter-ish" game. He says that they'd have something tangible to show off perhaps by the summer vacation, with a release planned for the end of the year.

If I'm understanding the implications correctly, this is a definitive confirmation that:
a.) There was a large flow of staff from the Gowcaizer project to Face, and
b.) During the time period in question, Face was most assuredly in production on an out-of-the-box fighter that could be the prototype in question.

As I said I'm woefully uninformed about all of the pieces to this puzzle, I'm only going by what I've been able to skim from Japanese twitter users, but with the ties to Exchanger, Gowcaizer and Face, it seems like this article ties some things together and hopefully more informed users here will find this info helpful.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
This is really cool that Neo protos can still be found. I hope there are lots more to uncover from what happened to SNK... there's gotta be more, right? Thanks for all the hard work NTM :D

P.S. please make limited edition candy pink memory cards

Bionic Lester

Cheng's Errand Boy
Dusting off my account for the first time in like a decade in order to give props to everyone involved in this. This is really fascinating to see unfold. :buttrock: