A question about AES repro's and Conversions

xorthen

Banned
Alright, if you have ever owned a real AES cartridge, you know that it has a distinct scent if you have ever smelled it. My question is, do you know if the repro carts have the same scent? Also, I have noticed that some of the games have that distinct musky scent of Japan.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Not many on this board are stupid enough to buy the repro carts,methinks.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I imagine that the plastic shells and motherboards will smell the same, while the manuals will not. Also, conversations will be heavier in nature just like prototypes due to their ceramic chips.

However, conversions are not natural under the eyes of God. If they were meant to be Metal Slugs, they would have been born that way.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Most conversions are using original SNK shells - you wouldn't be able to tell anything from the smell. The are CONVERTING a cheap AES cart into an expensive AES cart.

I think you are talking about that Chinese plastic smell that you get with multi-cart bootlegs and Korean DVD cases. Now, you will likely get that smell if you bought an Ali NG boot, but not from the rank and file conversions that are passed around as legit.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
If I knew people were going around smelling home carts I would of screwed them in my ass before I sold out.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
All my carts smell like really smoky whiskey , is that the smell of Japan?

It's like waking up in some strange Japanese guy's bed after a long night of drinking. Yep, that's what AES ownership smells like.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wow, now AES users are sniffing carts to authenticate them. What's next?

Wow, now AES users are sniffing carts to authenticate them. What's next?

GameDude (a gamestore in California) does that to determine authentic AES carts (not sure if that helps).it's funny every time someone bringing in a few carts and they have 1-2 employees sniffing the carts before determine the credits.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
GameDude (a gamestore in California) does that to determine authentic AES carts (not sure if that helps).it's funny every time someone bringing in a few carts and they have 1-2 employees sniffing the carts before determine the credits.

That's because I told them that as a semi-joke. But in all honestly, fresh solder does smell distinctly different than old factory solder.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
What the heck happened to you bro? What's your story? This gotta be the first time I see a french speaking kiwi... :lolz:

Last edited: