High End PC Video Cards aka anyone else have a Titan?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I haven't been following up closely for a while now but I could have sworn the 390x was very competitive with the 980Ti in both performance and price wise. Aside from Titan, AMD has been very competitive with their gpu division for many years now.

I paid $379 for my 390x. I thought that was pretty fair.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's a great card. Saw a couple of benches, and while it doesn't compete with the 980Ti, it does offer great performance at $200 cheaper. At 1080p and 1440p seems like you shouldn't have much trouble running games in high settings. Personally, I usually tend to go with the higher end myself since you get a little bit more longevity for the hardware.

The closest nvidia competitor at that price is the GTX980 which is a bit more expensive but performance wise they are about the same.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
It's a great card. Saw a couple of benches, and while it doesn't compete with the 980Ti, it does offer great performance at $200 cheaper. At 1080p and 1440p seems like you shouldn't have much trouble running games in high settings. Personally, I usually tend to go with the higher end myself since you get a little bit more longevity for the hardware.

The closest nvidia competitor at that price is the GTX980 which is a bit more expensive but performance wise they are about the same.

Im certainly going nvidia next round. I stuck with AMD to get the performance bump from pairing it with an amd processor. Next build will be on Nvidia and one 4k monitor. I'm just about worn out on the three monitor experience.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
980ti.
yet to really destroy it, been travelling too much. I'll be putting it through the paces this weekend in VR. 2 screens at 90fps. 2160 x 1200

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I don't care about gaming but would these cards be effective for AutoCAD or Land F/X? I remember it used to be where you would have to get special workstation type cards to handle all the math and rendering.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I don't care about gaming but would these cards be effective for AutoCAD or Land F/X? I remember it used to be where you would have to get special workstation type cards to handle all the math and rendering.

The first Titan cards were entry-level scientific chips, built for double-precision. The newer ones are back to single-precision designs (i.e. awful for serious work).

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I'm going to be setting up a new machine soon for AutoCAD 2017, Land F/X, and Photoshop so I'll be soon in that market for a new card. From looking around it seems the Nvidia Quadro cards look to be the best with the M6000 but at a $5k starting price I probably won't go that far and might look at the M5000 which is a much more reasonable $2k.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Gtx 1080 you say? Just when I thought this thread was destroyed by talks of "lower cards"(like someone making a thread about Maserati's & everyone talking about their Honda's).

I plan on putting 2 1080's in my next system build. This current one with the Titan X plays everything just fine at 4k(recently picked up a custom EK-FC water block I plan on installing as well)

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I would like to get a GTX 1080 for my next build but I am waiting for a brand that includes a dvi-a or dvi-i i input so that I can connect it to my Sony FW900 crt monitor.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've been using a 980 ti with hybrid cooler and love it. Don't know if it could handle 4k but at my current res it could run any game without a problem. My 2nd rig has a 780 ti and that runs on a 1080p 144hz monitor, and that still runs every game I throw at without a problem. I rather spend more and have it last me 4+ years vs going cheaper and having to upgrade sooner. I've tried the dual gpu thing but it's a energy killer and my pc turned into a oven. Rather just do one powerful card.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
$379 for the GTX 1070 is a steal for the specs

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Wouldn't mind checking one out in my rig. I've got a GTX 980 HOF, kind of wish I had waited now.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I would like to get a GTX 1080 for my next build but I am waiting for a brand that includes a dvi-a or dvi-i i input so that I can connect it to my Sony FW900 crt monitor.

Damn, kudos to you for still rocking one. I wanted to get one years ago but couldn't validate the cost and risk of shipping one.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'll be upgrading from my 970 to the 1070. In the past, if I sell my current X70 card when the new ones come out, I usually only have to fork over a $100 for the upgrade.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'll be picking up a cheap used second 970 to max out my current rig but that 1080 is looking tasty. It's been 4+ years now. Almost time to build the new rig.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'd wait for some real world people to test these before you start planning purchases.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Looking to get a GTX 1070 the moment it hits the streets.
BTW I will need to get a new monitor also - can anyone advise on the benefits of 1440p vs standard 1080p? Considering I am looking to get a Gsync capable monitor, the price difference is significant (almost 2x) and I am kind of on the fence as to whether this is justified given that IMHO there is nothing wrong with 1080p. Is it really a game changer / worth paying the additional dough for? I am running a 1151 Z170 / I7 6700K / 16GB DDR4 and would like to get at least 3-4 years usage out of this build.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
not really man, 1440 is nice but is it worth the extra $300? it chews up gpu cores & vram unnecessarily imo

LG makes a really good 27" IPS 1080 for $179, its available at microcenter

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm going to be setting up a new machine soon for AutoCAD 2017, Land F/X, and Photoshop so I'll be soon in that market for a new card. From looking around it seems the Nvidia Quadro cards look to be the best with the M6000 but at a $5k starting price I probably won't go that far and might look at the M5000 which is a much more reasonable $2k.

Yeah, Quadro is the way to go for you for really serious CAD and design work. I went the dual 690 route as opposed to Quadro purely based on price as the difference in rendering time (at the time) wasn't drastic. It also really depends on what software you use as the toolsets for the GTX and Quadro lines are designed with specific software optimizations in mind.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
not really man, 1440 is nice but is it worth the extra $300? it chews up gpu cores & vram unnecessarily imo

LG makes a really good 27" IPS 1080 for $179, its available at microcenter

I rock a Dell Ultrawide 3440x1440. Love it. Damn shame a lot of games don't support 21:9 native.

...I'm looking at you, Overwatch.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I see no real reason to buy a top of the line video card. Get something that exceeds your minimum requirement. For the most part, people buy the high end card and don't end up using the extra features. Silly goofs.

The last high end card I bought was the Voodoo 5500 AGP. The last video card I bought was a Radeon R9 380.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'll be picking up a cheap used second 970 to max out my current rig but that 1080 is looking tasty. It's been 4+ years now. Almost time to build the new rig.

Dunno what kind of hardware you are rocking in your rig, but if it was pretty decent 4 years ago, chances are it will still suffice today. IMHO the increases in performance have kind of slowed down in recent years, and a 4 year old I5/I7 with a decent OC is unlikely to be noticeably slower than a newer gen CPU of the same calibre. I guess the biggest advances have taken place with regard to SSD's and GPU's but those can easily be upgraded without changing your core hardware.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I see no real reason to buy a top of the line video card. Get something that exceeds your minimum requirement. For the most part, people buy the high end card and don't end up using the extra features. Silly goofs.

I've experienced it time and time again myself. I'll buy a "cheaper" video card and will turn down the res/quality/anistropic/etc.. then just settle.
Before you know it, newer games start coming out with higher requirements. You'll have turn down the settings even more & the game looks/feels like crap. Then you have to start looking into a newer "cheaper" video card all over again.

Whenever I've purchased an "expensive" card though, I've been able to keep the graphics settings turned up higher & it's much longer before I'll have to replace it.