Car guys. Need some help - Want a $4k - $7k quick econobox.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Saw a Mazda 3 the other day that was 5 or 6 years old and it was rusting pretty freaking bad. Turned me off that car. Maybe it was Sandy car who knows.

I just parked next to a newer one in the parking lot at work and noticed it was rusting like crazy. Yeah I'd avoid that.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I wanted a flex, but they wouldn't play ball with lease terms and we walked.

We lucked into a deal too good to pass up. Traded our Escape in, and got the loyalty bonus...which covered the extended bumperrepmub warranty.

Warranties are usually too expensive, for what you get-but since it was 'free' (and our Flex was a former dealership loaner car) we jumped on it.
$200/mo note, on something on paper waaaay out of our price range.

Got lucky...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
We lucked into a deal too good to pass up. Traded our Escape in, and got the loyalty bonus...which covered the extended bumperrepmub warranty.

Warranties are usually too expensive, for what you get-but since it was 'free' (and our Flex was a former dealership loaner car) we jumped on it.
$200/mo note, on something on paper waaaay out of our price range.

Got lucky...

Word. A $200 note is amazing for that car. Sweet deal.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I love the Flex, too bad wife is not on board.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
It's my Wife's daily driver. I slag the chilluns and dog around in a Ford Flex.

It's a rolling breadbox, handling wise; however, 300+horses, hitch for the bike/camping rack, seats 7, tailgate jump seats, I can fit a drum set/DJ gear/cab in it with the seats down...it's a very Flex-able family ride.
Living in the UK, I've never heard of this before. Turns out (via image search) it's sort of a low-riding 'fake' Range Rover looking thing.

I like it. Shame I've never seen an import over here on the road...

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I love the Flex, too bad wife is not on board.

We had it OUT over this car.

"We need a mini van."

-"..."

"Jim, did you just fall ASLEEP?!?"

-"....zzZzZzzz"

"WE NEED TO SETTLE THIS NOW."

-"...have you seen my Fishbone record? Truth & Soul is missing."

"😡😡😡😡😡😡"

-"...yeah, I'm not pushing a minivan. Luckily for us, Ford doesn't like them *either*. AeroStar had been discontinued."

"BUT-"

-"check this wagon out..."

*wife kicks rocks*

She still hates the thing, but for the deal I got us, you can't really say much to fault it. Minivans are expensive! No Bueno.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I have a 01 Sentra SE that I love. My parents bought it new then it was handed down to me about 7-8 years. Really fun to drive and they are pretty cheap. I like the body style a lot on this generation, and starting in 03 they made a SE-R version.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Flex is baller. Twin turbo is available right? 350hp family hauler.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have a 01 Sentra SE that I love. My parents bought it new then it was handed down to me about 7-8 years. Really fun to drive and they are pretty cheap. I like the body style a lot on this generation, and starting in 03 they made a SE-R version.

Yeah, the SE-R is cheap fun, much like the SRT-4 sans turbo and with build quality worth a damn.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Get a VR6 Mk4. No coil packs or timing belts, so the biggest annoyances are gone. They're pretty easy to find at the bottom end of that range.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah, the SE-R is cheap fun, much like the SRT-4 sans turbo and with build quality worth a damn.

Yeah, not to jinx myself on it but there has been no major trouble to this car over the years. Sitting right at 95K miles only thing it needs is a new paint job which will hopefully be done this year. It is a great quality car and fun to drive around too

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Still looking. Leaning towards a late 90's Civic.

Don't even have to be $4k - not gonna keep it real long... just need a DD for my doctors appointments and such.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member

Don't even have to be $4k - not gonna keep it real long... just need a DD for my doctors appointments and such.

Brother, if there's ANYTHING I can do to help you out during your time of need, please lmk. You're one if the kindest souls I know.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Nissan Maxima in the same year

the V6 3000 engine has more torque than a modern elantra & will outlast the car

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Use to drive a 98 Maxima every once in a while. That thing fucking hauled ass. Had about 250k on it when it rusted out. End of an era for that model really.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Brother, if there's ANYTHING I can do to help you out during your time of need, please lmk. You're one if the kindest souls I know.

Thanks hun. I appreciate it.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
A few of me and my co-workers have 2008-2009 Ford Taurus as commuter cars. They are great with no issues for any of us and it will fit in your price range. Definitely a nice midsize car that is good on gas, cheap in maintenance and at the right price.

Last edited:

Heartkill

n00b
You could probably find a B5 Audi S4 in that price range with high mileage. Good power from a 2.7 TT V6, AWD and pretty reliable. Timing belts and water pump are the main maintenance items that need to be serviced.

Older WRX's are solid if they weren't beat on. Head gaskets can be prone to failure and the 5-speeds are a little weak, again only if they were driven hard by previous owners.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
not a fan of econo boxes and i love and have always had good luck with ford so i recommend the focus that said avoid the cruze wife has one and i don't care for it sure gets good mpg but sucks to drive even with a turbo and reliability is meh. most people i know who have a mazda 3 love them idk. can;t go wrong with hondas or toyotas from what others tell me also. happy hunting hope you like what you get

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Tonk I have had three different subarus after owning a civic that have treated me well. I drove a 98 outback, before moving to the east coast. Picked up a cheap 00 Impreza RS that I drove for about two years, then sold that and found a 02 Impreza RS that I now have owned for over a year and a half. The only issue I had with the Outback was headgasket seals resulting in leaks. The RS do not have the turbos like the WRX, but definitely get up the road quicker than any stock civics. My car is probably about the same performance as the SI version. The all wheel drive come in handy all over the place. It was cheaper for me to sell and fly due to the car values and moving distances, otherwise I woul'd probably still be one or two subarus back.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
so what's up

might pick up a 2006 Mercedes CLK

let me live the dream