Neo Geo CD Universe Bios 3.3 Released!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Found the time this weekend to updated the CD Universe Bios to a new version. This one hopefully fixes the small issues affecting v3.2 making the overall experience on the Universe Bios on the CD system far more polished.

WHATS NEW IN VERSION 3.3
---------------------------------

Improvements

• Bios now selfchecks itsself at boot, a red screen is displayed if an error is found.
  • Changing the system type will make the system reboot when exiting settings.
  • Opening the ingame menu should now pause CD audio, it should play again once closed.
  • Overhauled the backup memory manager to improve usability.
  • Formatting the backup memory no longer clears unibios region settings.
  • Updated to include 68k exception error handling.
  • Made the white flash on opening and closing the audio player program box shorter.
  • The finger pointer now disapeers when the Universe Bios settings dialogue is open.
  • The Insert CD dialogue box now clears when the Universe Bios settings dialogue is opened.
Fixes

• Stopped entry into unibios features after pressing start to load game from radio screen.
  • Hopefully stopped entry to ingame menu at points where used tiles will be corrupted.
  • Hopefully fixed rare case of ingame menu graphics not showing if entry just before a game game requests files to be loaded from CD.
  • Fixed reset on entry into the cheat database if the loaded game is Fatal Fury 3.
  • Fixed severely corrupted ingame menu if the loaded game is Last Hope.
  • Stopped the ingame memory viewer accessing ranges that cause a system reset.
  • Stopped the ingame menu being accessible on the radio screen after quitting a game.
  • Added large font to ingame menu for World Heroes Perfect, Overtop and Zintrick.
  • Added fix to correct the color brightness (bug/protection) when in Euro region.
MVS/AES DEV Bios related only

• Fixed rare issue that caused blank screen on boot if no data loaded or no key code used.
  • Stopped the ingame memory viewer accessing ranges that cause system resets.
PC-2-NEO related only

• Some CDZ systems can now take advantage of the faster loading speed options.
  • 2UP joystick passthrough handled better on PC-2-NEO screens.
  • Fixed a minor issue with the progress bar on initial IPL file load in some games.
  • Fixed NeoTurfMasters blank screen after first hole loading if CD audio used.
  • Fixed bad tiles in PC-2-NEO when accessed from the CD ingame menu if the loaded game is Samurai Shodown RPG.
  • Fixed corrupted font in PC-2-NEO when accessed from the ingame menu if the loaded game is either World Heroes Perfect, Overtop or Zintrick.
Cheats

• Improved the Crossed Swords 2 gold cheats.
  • Added NeoTurfMasters 'Unlock Scotland' cheat (press D on course select screen).
  • Added a Viewpoint 'Simultaneous Play' cheat.
  • Added more Iron Clad cheats.
  • Added some Last Hope cheats.
  • Added cheat for 'Samurai Shodown RPG' to unlock Omake mode.
  • Added Infinite Magic cheats to Kabuki Klash.
  • Added hidden character cheats to Zintrick.
  • Added 'Show SP commands OSD' cheat for Samurai Shodown 4
  • Added cheats for 'Metal Slug 2 Turbo'
  • Fixed Metal Slug 2 Autofire cheat.
  • Fixed Ninja Combat 'Max Power' cheat typo.

On a side note, the PC-2-NEO GUI software for windows and firmware has also been updated today to v3.5. It is available for download on the PC-2-NEO page at www.universebios.com. It has some exciting new features for you homebrew programmers to get stuck into. See the included readme for more information.

Last edited:

blastar

Member,
thank you for updating UniverseBios to 3.3, with all the small fixes and new feature it's a must have for all gamers, fans and developers. :)

in use with latest PC2NEO-FW and GUI it's awesome, it will speed up the prototyping process.. :D

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I just got my Neo CD back from getting the UNIBIOS installed, and I just wanted to say it's a fantastic product. I've already been using UNIBIOS in my MVS cab and Omega, but it's a godsend for the Neo Geo CD.

Thanks, Raz, for all you've done for the Neo community. The UNIBIOS makes the Neo CD a much, much more realistic option for real Neo Geo fans.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Do we have anyone in our illustrious community willing to install them into a CDZ yet?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I just got my Neo CD back from getting the UNIBIOS installed, and I just wanted to say it's a fantastic product. I've already been using UNIBIOS in my MVS cab and Omega, but it's a godsend for the Neo Geo CD.

Thanks, Raz, for all you've done for the Neo community. The UNIBIOS makes the Neo CD a much, much more realistic option for real Neo Geo fans.

No problem, glad you like it.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
I was considering doing the region switch mod on my JP NGCD, but I think this might be a better option. I could handle the switch mod soldering, etc., but I'm not sure I can handle installing the UniBios.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
If you have a toploader you can use a CD biosmasta to make the install easier.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
I do have a toploader. I might have to look into that as well.

3.3 via the CD NBM now in my (rotated cpu) Toploader as of this week - and *all* of my iffey discs run first go now.. Stunning win! Should have done this ages ago :/

Ordered one a few days ago. Got a great personal email from Raz following up on my order letting me know that he shipped it out. I haven't received it yet but am very pleased at the level of consideration he has taken thus far and look forward to very much to receiving it.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yup, although you want if for the MV-1C and not CD system yes?

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Does this bios make it possible to load games such as Eightman and Spinmaster from these MVS to CD conversions?
They load fine on an emulator, but not sure if the Universe bios for CD would allow to play these.

Thanks!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
They should work, if not the conversions will need fixing.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Just wanted to say that I have had the old school UniBIOS 1.1 installed in my Big Red 4-slot since you first made them available, Raz, and I love it. I'd like to upgrade to the 3.3 at some point. I do so hate taking that board apart though.

Anyway, even the (near) original is totally worth it, to say nothing of the features in the current gen.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just wanted to say that I have had the old school UniBIOS 1.1 installed in my Big Red 4-slot since you first made them available, Raz, and I love it. I'd like to upgrade to the 3.3 at some point. I do so hate taking that board apart though.

Anyway, even the (near) original is totally worth it, to say nothing of the features in the current gen.

Hi Ryo man... you well pal?

xROTx

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I recently just acquired a CDZ, what all do I have to do/need to install this unibios?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
If you are not excellent at soldering youll need to get somone to install it for you.

Raz

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
Just installed 3.3 on my MV-1FZ and it works like a dream.

Just for sh*ts and giggles I did I rom check on my 161 as it's been corrupting during some games and upon rebooting to the menu screen flashes up a rom error.

Since installing and carrying out the test it seems to have gone away. It's probably only a matter of time until it corrupts again but until then I'm assuming your product has healing powers!

Thanks Razoola