How do you change poloarity on a PSU?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
All my searches keep returning damn PC power supply stuff.

Do I just cut the cord a few inches from where the cord would be inserted into the unit, strip it, and then re-connect the wires to the opposite ones? If I use this method, what is a safe way to keep this thing from starting a fire in the future? I normally unplug my bricks when not in use, but sometimes I forget.

Or do I open it up somehow (don't see any screws), and do my business in there?

It's this PSU...

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Do I just cut the cord a few inches from where the cord would be inserted into the unit, strip it, and then re-connect the wires to the opposite ones?]
Yes that's it.

If I use this method, what is a safe way to keep this thing from starting a fire in the future?
It's safe as long as you do a clean job and use proper insulation (heat shrink tube and electrical tape).

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Or you could buy a replacement male DC barrel connector, cut the old one off, strip the wires and solder them onto the new barrel connector.

Yrouel

n00b
Do I just cut the cord a few inches from where the cord would be inserted into the unit, strip it, and then re-connect the wires to the opposite ones?

Yes that's pretty much it. I wouldn't cut too close to the brick, leave yourself an ample margin in case you make some mistake.

If I use this method, what is a safe way to keep this thing from starting a fire in the future?

Heatshrink tubing. I suggest you buy one of those kits with multiple sizes like this one http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-150pcs-Shrink-Tubing-Sleeving/dp/B00EXLPLTW
It's really handy to have anyway.

Heatshrink each splice (twist together horizontally then solder) separately then heatshrink over both.
Of course remember to put the heatshrink pieces over the wires before you join them ;)

Or do I open it up somehow (don't see any screws), and do my business in there?

Nah since you are buying one without screws it's ok to invert the wires externally, with the heatshrink it'll be a neat job anyway.

After the modification mark clearly the new polarity on that psu so you won't risk using it accidentally with some other device with the more common central positive polarity.

Last edited: