Anyone replace the caps in a 3-6 AES board.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Did anyone who replaced the caps in a 3-6 board, really notice any difference in the sound quality?

WTF did I do that? The audio for certain explosions or sound effects was off. The board did get a repair job previously after I purchased it. Just curious on anyone else's experience after replacing the caps?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Talk to James, he'll hook you up with some knowledge

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
What caps did you swap out?

I've only done a few, all below the cart slot, but I plan to do them all. I do a few and then rest to verify nothing was damaged. The AES solder points are a bitch to remove compared to fixing a cart lol.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've only done a few, all below the cart slot, but I plan to do them all. I do a few and then rest to verify nothing was damaged. The AES solder points are a bitch to remove compared to fixing a cart lol.

If you replace the caps with good replacements with same specs, it shouldn't degrade the audio quality.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I would like to get my hands on the proper cap kits for the 3-6 board as well, as I bought a few kits for the first revision AES (NEO-AES), and I also changed out the resistors in the back of the unit by the RGB lines and the improvement in pic quality was outstanding afterward. However, I can't find any place that sells these cap kits as packs for every model AES, and since I now plan to attempt to buy at least one AES of every revision, I would like to get cap kits for each model. Can anyone recommend a place that sells them for every unit, as well as upgrades for the RGB lines to improve on the picture quality? I really enjoy working on them, and this will give me something to do while waiting on other things to arrive.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I replaced them all. I can you a list fakk2. It didn't resolve my issue, but it did help possibly. Looking at the YM chip now.