Extreme Hunting 2 Atomiswave - Installation Help Needed

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Greetings,

EDIT: Issues below were both fixed by installing in a proper AWSD cab.

Resolution was an auto-fix.

Communication cartridge for some reason keeps attempting to connect when on a supergun. When in a cab it goes right to the game after the first failed communication attempt.

NEW ISSUE: I can't get the guns to re-load. First shot works, then game calls for a re-load, but it doesn't work. Both guns have the mechanisms - but something isn't registering. Again - guns both work as I can enter my name, select my game, and get one shot off in the game - but once I need to re-load, i'm done - can't re-load. Anyone know the trick?

Trying to get an Extreme Hunting 2 setup running.

I have all the necessary parts:
-Guns
-EH2 Gun Sub PCB
-Wiring from I/O to Gun Sub
-I/O Expansion
-Cart / Mother
-All Net Comm board with Key Chip

I believe everything is connected properly. I am having 2 issues:

1. My screen is divided - green line down the middle of the screen and the startup shows on both sides of the green line instead of just in the center. This is on an HD CRT - I do have AWSD cabs, but for testing, it's much easier to use a CRT.

2. I can't get past the CHPC link screen. It does a test and then says "timed out". It then says "coin error" and restarts the link process.

Questions:
Do I need to have the All Net installed if i'm not going online?

If yes, does it need to be connected via Ethernet cable?

If yes, are there workarounds? (I don't have an ethernet connection point in the area where my cabs are).

Any ideas on the green line? Anyone else experienced the split screen? Possibly won't work on CRT w/supergun?

Thanks...

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The split sounds like a 31khz signal on a 15khz display.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Ok - that's good, so once I have it in my cab that part should fix itself. Want to build a moveable enclosure for cab install - there are a lot of wires running about.

Anyone know about the communication cartridge / ethernet cable?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
UPDATE: both issues in OP resolved by installing setup in a cab. At this time I believe this is not possible to run on a supergun setup. For some reason the comm cart keeps trying to connect. It may work if you have an ethernet cable - I didn't test that as I don't have a termination point where this is all setup at.

New Issue: Can't get either gun to re-load. Guns seem to be in decent shape and the mechanism seems to all be there, but cocking in game does not reload. Tried pointing gun up, down, to side while reloading, but no go. Thoughts welcome...

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Guessing the coin error was a lack of coin counters naomi style. Hope you get all the bugs worked out.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Any other thoughts on the guns not "reloading" - anyone know a simple trick i'm missing? Maybe reload is specific to dedicated EH2 cabs? I'm not finding anything in my searches...getting ready to abandon ship. I've invested about 15 hours into this now and am beyond frustrated.

CatBoy

n00b
So should I assume that no Atomiswave gun games work on a supergun setup or only Extreme Hunting 2?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
In order for the reload functions to work, the guns need to be wired to the Jamma edge. The easiest way to do so is using a fingerboard adapter to avoid cutting up your harness. I've used this setup on my supergun and cabs and it works great.

Edit: you need to wire the guns to pins 22 and z for P1 and P2 reload respectively. See this manual here:

http://segaretro.org/File:ExtremeHunting2_Atomiswave_Manual.pdf

Last edited: