Voltage requirements for Xbox/PS2 JAMMA adapter boards?

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I've been tossing around the idea of picking up one of these JAMMA adapters for either the original Xbox or PS1/2. They're the cheap ones still in production that go for around $30 USD made up of a small PCB with a cord that goes in the AV port and 2 cords that go into the controller ports.

Tried to find some info about them online and basically all I managed to come away with was that the CGA video out through the harness can be irregularly dark and the wiring obviously isn't JAMMA standard to accommodate 8 action buttons.

I was wondering about the voltage requirements for these things. The diagrams I saw didn't mention needing a 12v connection, only the +5v going in. Is this the case, or is the +5v connection even required?

If it only needs the +5v, would the 500mAh or so 5v USB line on the console be enough to power it or does it need the full 2A normally put out by the arcade PS?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Arcade power supplies usually are 10-15A on the +5v line. I doubt it needs anything that high but it might need more than 500mA.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
keep in mind, you will need an adapter to put ground pins and kick buttons in the right place.

also, these are VERY cheaply made and can have video issues/ickyness. That said, I have a PS1/2 board and barely use it.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Arcade power supplies usually are 10-15A on the +5v line. I doubt it needs anything that high but it might need more than 500mA.

Doh! Where the hell I got 2 amps from is beyond me.

keep in mind, you will need an adapter to put ground pins and kick buttons in the right place.

also, these are VERY cheaply made and can have video issues/ickyness. That said, I have a PS1/2 board and barely use it.

I figured the video out would be shitty and had planned on running the video out straight from the console to the monitor and just using the JAMMA board for controls. I was interested in these for two cabs I have that are completely gutted that I threw some cheap flatscreen monitors in. Wiring isn't a problem since I was going for just a 6 button setup (not 8 or 10 or whatever these support) and as far as I can tell that would let it work with normal PCB's or other bootleg boards types that pull 6 buttons without a kick harness.

The reason behind asking about the voltage requirements was I don't have a spare power supply handy (nor any wiring or fuseblocks left in these cabs). If they definitely require an arcade power supply I was going to wire everything so I could use other PCBs, if not I was going to half-ass do it with the minimum effort required for it to function. A PS2 looks like a viable alternative with the additional content in Atomiswave ports and a few other one offs like 98UM and 94 Rebout.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Doh! Where the hell I got 2 amps from is beyond me.

I figured the video out would be shitty and had planned on running the video out straight from the console to the monitor and just using the JAMMA board for controls. I was interested in these for two cabs I have that are completely gutted that I threw some cheap flatscreen monitors in. Wiring isn't a problem since I was going for just a 6 button setup (not 8 or 10 or whatever these support) and as far as I can tell that would let it work with normal PCB's or other bootleg boards types that pull 6 buttons without a kick harness.

The reason behind asking about the voltage requirements was I don't have a spare power supply handy (nor any wiring or fuseblocks left in these cabs). If they definitely require an arcade power supply I was going to wire everything so I could use other PCBs, if not I was going to half-ass do it with the minimum effort required for it to function. A PS2 looks like a viable alternative with the additional content in Atomiswave ports and a few other one offs like 98UM and 94 Rebout.

If you're just looking for controls, you can always use some KADE boards, or even MC Cthulhu and expand controls to more than just one console. these pull power from the console. otherwise, the timer board will need power from the arcade PSU.

Last edited: