Homebrew JAMMA board

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I've been working on this guy in my spare time:
bf533gs_proto.jpg

It's finally working, to the point of showing something on-screen:
bf533gs_testmenu.jpg

It's mostly for personal experience, but I'll post more if I make something cool with it.

(Yes, it's got my real name and "professional" e-mail address on it. Laugh.)

Last edited:

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I've been working on this guy in my spare time:
View attachment 34130

It's finally working, to the point of showing something on-screen:
View attachment 34131

It's mostly for personal experience, but I'll post more if I make something cool with it.

(Yes, it's got my real name and "professional" e-mail address on it. Laugh.)

Wow, nice. I think it's great you chose the AD Blackfin for this project - I was considering doing the same at some point. Have you had success in achieving 60FPS CGA screen draws? Is your design loosely based on the BF533 EZ-Kit lite?

Again, Great Work here!

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Wow, nice. I think it's great you chose the AD Blackfin for this project - I was considering doing the same at some point. Have you had success in achieving 60FPS CGA screen draws? Is your design loosely based on the BF533 EZ-Kit lite?

Again, Great Work here!
Yes on both counts. I was developing the software, initially, on the BF533 EZ-Kit. I didn't like how their video output worked (it's made for DVD applications... nonsquare pixels, chroma subsampled, etc) so I built my own. I use the PPI port in 16-bit mode at 6.144MHz, to drive an ADV7125 video DAC with 5 bits of precision per channel. I send the 16th bit into a D-flip-flop which then drives the CSync signal. (For testing purposes, I've got it plugged into a NeoBitz-S video encoder.)

My code constructs the video line-by-line in the internal memory. It's interrupt-driven (from the PPI DMA) and only buffers 2 lines at any time, like a "real" sprite engine. Graphics data is stored in DRAM, externally. I'm re-considering that right now, though. Doing it a line-at-a-time means no writing back to the DRAM... but means terrible access patterns. Compositing everything into an actual framebuffer in DRAM would give much tighter access patterns, but would mean a read and a write for each pixel.

I was having no problem drawing 100 16x16 sprites on top of a scrolling background, as long as they didn't all bunch up on one line.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
why are you doing this?
At work, I deal with giant mountains of software running on bloated, fragile operating systems for hardware I can't inspect. I wanted to get down to the metal and have some real control over the machine... and what better way, than to build it myself?