Street Fighter 2 CE Bootleg fix

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Picked this up supposedly not working. Guy said it would do nothing but show a white screen. I plugged it in, and sure enough - white screen. However, this thing draws a LOT of current, so the power supply was sagging down. Once I adjusted it back to 5V the game sprung to life and worked fine after repairing one bad solder joint in the graphics section.

Looks good, just not getting any sound.

AX3nG0F.jpg

A few notes on this bootleg:

-The CPS A and B customs have been semi-reproduced using a lot of 74 series logic and PLD/GAL/etc chips. LOTS!
-The sprites work a little differently; they are buffered for a frame, so they lag one frame behind the scrolling layers. This means the gameplay effectively has one frame of lag and is not suitable for competitive play.
-Sprites are drawn one line too low, and sometimes are off horizontally.
-The sprite overdraw is less than a normal CPS system. You can see the sprite limit get reached on the intro screen after the guy punches the other, and a little bit of the "press start" text goes missing.
-References to Capcom copyrights are missing.
-Game logic is unmodified, but I suspect sprite drawing routines are patched.
-The JAMMA edge was missing the key. That blows, so I used the bandsaw to fix that.
-The fade channel looks to be half-implemented, but the 74LS07s that would do the actual work are not installed. The board is masked for it and I suspect installing them would restore fade functionality.
-The video is WAY too bright with typical arcade termination, and looks better with 75 ohm termination typical of a VGA setup.
-This board is SUPER dense, and yet there are almost no bypass capacitors. For shame! There are faint jailbars visible in the output.
-It doesn't run at normal speed. I don't mean that the CPU is slow, but rather everything - the refresh rate is less than 60Hz. It was high enough that my Trinitron will sync to it, so I think it's somewhere low between 50 and 60. That's strange and I'm going to see about fixing it by changing out one of the oscillators.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have a similar boot... may be the exact same one, I can check later tonight. Fully working AFAIK, you can have it on the cheap if you'd want it.