GPD Win. (Finally, true windows gaming emulators on the go!)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-laptop-fitting-in-your-pocket--2#/story
GPD-Win-2.jpg

GPD-Win-2-420x540.jpg

gpdwin-07-1.jpg

Seriously, come October i'll be playing Gamate games in style, ladies! ^^

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It is, not a fan of the keyboard though...could be cool if the keybard just flips out of the way like them cellphones back in the day before touch screens. You know you're gonna be hitting the escape key by mistake during a heated session...flaw! Why is that engineers are so useless these days?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'll be shocked if this things runs alot of emulators at full speed. An Atom pushing Windows 10 is gonna eat up a good chunk of the processor. I think these things work so well now cause they run Android.

I'm interested.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'll be shocked if this things runs alot of emulators at full speed. An Atom pushing Windows 10 is gonna eat up a good chunk of the processor. I think these things work so well now cause they run Android.

I'm interested.

You could always throw a lightweight Linux distro on it. Something like Debian or Lubuntu or Linux Mint LXDE.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
that keyboard is pretty worthless IMO. I guess it's needed if you plan to do some light browsing or something.

Windows emulators are da best tho.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That thing is intriguing, but I have a feeling the final price is going to be way more than I'd want to pay for an emu device.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I am pretty excited about this thing. Heard about it last night, and I am going to back it just to check it out. At best you can use it for windows emu and some light steam games, at worst it seems like to get emu speed you have to run linux.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
There is no way in hell this thing is running steam games. I'd be shocked if it could run the client smooth while another program is running. If you want to see what this will run like, check out one of those cheap Win 10 tablets, like the Asus ones.

Last edited:

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I can dream of running stardew valley dz, i can dream. You are probably right though, if this thing is able to run up to psx emulators smoothly thats great.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
No idea if it's related but my first random thought is the dev team for the Pandora decided to make a version for win10. Wasn't there major issues with that open source handheld?

pandora-handheld-4.jpg

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
57FFBD0D-5ED7-4C6E-8638-3BBC89398455_zpsxz1ww2dv.jpg

After all, this is the true reason to buy this thing. ;)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
From what I read, the biggest problem with the Pandora (other than the fact that it took WAY TOO LONG to release) was that it pretty much had no support. Obviously, this shouldn't be a problem on a Windows machine, or a X86 flavor of Linux.

Emulators on an Atom based laptop run just fine for almost anything pre-3D. You can't do some of the fancy shaders on them, but since this will be a handheld you likely wouldn't want them anyway.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
From what I read, the biggest problem with the Pandora (other than the fact that it took WAY TOO LONG to release) was that it pretty much had no support. Obviously, this shouldn't be a problem on a Windows machine, or a X86 flavor of Linux.

Emulators on an Atom based laptop run just fine for almost anything pre-3D. You can't do some of the fancy shaders on them, but since this will be a handheld you likely wouldn't want them anyway.

Can they handle dreamcast, to your knowledge?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
We were talking about this earlier, jury is out on DC but most people are skeptical about it running demul.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The Android ones run PSone and some Dreamcast at full speed. Again, why anyone would want this when an exact model that runs more things is already out, is beyond me.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Im thinking its the joysticks and buttons? What device are you talking about DZ, that pandora thing?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Im thinking its the joysticks and buttons? What device are you talking about DZ, that pandora thing?

The Pandora runs on the Ångström OS. 600MHz processor. Thing doesn't sound so great to me...