GPD Win. (Finally, true windows gaming emulators on the go!)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
It's called a GPD XD. They are around $180 on Amazon. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube showing off what it can do.

I don't think they ported Mess to Android yet.

That's the point, GPD Win runs windows, GPD XD is limited to android apps.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That's the point, GPD Win runs windows, GPD XD is limited to android apps.

But the point is that it runs on an Atom Processor. So while it doesn't pertain to your needs, most here are not going to be able to run much on it.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
But the point is that it runs on an Atom Processor. So while it doesn't pertain to your needs, most here are not going to be able to run much on it.
I guess. MAME has incorporated Mess since version 0.162, yet MAME is currently up to ver 0.171 but still none if these stupid mobile emulators are ever updated to newer versions. Even the ever popular PSP emulators used on Vita are running ANCIENT versions.
With a Win Device, as long as it's powerful enough to emulate what you want to play, is light years better in terms of updates and compatibility than some Android.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I guess. MAME has incorporated Mess since version 0.162, yet MAME is currently up to ver 0.171 but still none if these stupid mobile emulators are ever updated to newer versions. Even the ever popular PSP emulators used on Vita are running ANCIENT versions.
With a Win Device, as long as it's powerful enough to emulate what you want to play, is light years better in terms of updates and compatibility than some Android.

While I agree that the emulators are better on Windows, the problem is that anything post SNES/Genesis is going to chug on this setup. However, on the cheaper Android device that's already out, you can run alot more.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
While I agree that the emulators are better on Windows, the problem is that anything post SNES/Genesis is going to chug on this setup. However, on the cheaper Android device that's already out, you can run alot more.

Here's an Atom N270 single-core 1.6GHz running Dreamcast (poorly).

The X5-Z8500 Atom processor in the GPU Win is a quad-core 2.2GHz. I think it will handle just fine.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Two videos of 3d games chugging are proving my point...lol. The CPU in this is also a 1.44ghz processor. The 2.2ghz is the burst frequency. That means it will run at that for short periods of time, but it won't sustain that speed.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Two videos of 3d games chugging are proving my point...lol. The CPU in this is also a 1.44ghz processor. The 2.2ghz is the burst frequency. That means it will run at that for short periods of time, but it won't sustain that speed.

I see your point, so probably PSX is the upper limit of emulation on the GPU Win. Slight disappointment, but still a cool toy.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Dear DecepticonZero, please find me any handheld that can run Mess :(
I'd rather buy something now than wait until October for the GPU Win if possible.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Dear DecepticonZero, please find me any handheld that can run Mess :(

I think you'll be able to run mess OK on this thing. You'll probably need the stand alone version over the mame integrated one.

Also, it looks like retroarch supports mess, but that's out of my area of expertise. Retroarch runs on all sorts of handhelds.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I think you'll be able to run mess OK on this thing. You'll probably need the stand alone version over the mame integrated one.

Also, it looks like retroarch supports mess, but that's out of my area of expertise. Retroarch runs on all sorts of handhelds.

RetroArch doesn't do it for me.
Why would I probably need the standalone, though? Mame and Mess are essentually the same thing?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's not really fair to compare the Windows based emulators to their Android brethren. The standard Android emulators are messy ports of the emulators on other platforms, even on superior hardware they don't run very well. The emulators on my Raspberry Pi 2 run much better than either my Ouya or my Android phone, both of which are a bit more powerful than the Pi and probably in the neighborhood of the Atom device.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The Pandora had issues with build quality.

And order fulfillment.

Craig J V Rothwell (Craigix) is also, basically, a scammer.

EvilDragon is already working on "sequel" device to the Pandora, without Craig:

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
My issue is always the specs and build quality.

The specs are just awful its not gonna run shit any better than any other handheld because realistically it only has enough processing power to handle n64 and older.

I don't get why people arent trying to use AMD apu or at least matching these system intended for gaming with some sort of realistic mobile gpu. Also screen resolution in no way matters if you're trying to use this as a emulation box. They should be focusing on a higher quality of screen like a OLED or something with a tempered cell phone like screen. All these matted bland screens suck.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
My issue is always the specs and build quality.

The specs are just awful its not gonna run shit any better than any other handheld because realistically it only has enough processing power to handle n64 and older.

I don't get why people arent trying to use AMD apu or at least matching these system intended for gaming with some sort of realistic mobile gpu. Also screen resolution in no way matters if you're trying to use this as a emulation box. They should be focusing on a higher quality of screen like a OLED or something with a tempered cell phone like screen. All these matted bland screens suck.

If you don't like it, I'm sure you can return it and you can get another gift card.