What's the best overall system to get now for shooters?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I never really considered the MegaDrive. I have about three of the things lying around, so I might have to look into a few of the games listed above.

yeah, go for it matt. some of the best shooters ever on the system. i would recommend thunder force 4, truxton and trouble shooter/battle mania. musha is also an obvious one to have, but it does fall into the price range of aes collecting lol.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Edit: This post excludes the 16-bit consoles.

If anyone is looking for one console for shmups and one console only that offers a ton of quality shooters, I don't know why anyone would recommend anything other than a Japanese 360. All of the Saturn and Dreamcast recommendations are almost pointless unless you like the novelty of the old hardware or are after a few select games. It's really getting to be a tired argument.

The 360 not only has some of Dreamcast's and Saturn's most popular shmups restored in HD and with a cheaper price tag, but many games from Cave, G. Rev, Konami, Raiden series, etc. Everything from colorful bullet hell's, a plethora of vertical and horizontal shooters, cheap indie games, various exclusives, and old-school-style shmups such as the Shooting Love collections and Raiden Fighters.

I mean, the Sakura Flamingo Archives alone has several Dreamcast games on the same disc for less than $60 along with Ikaruga on XBLA, a re-release of Under Defeat, Shikigami No Shiro III and some nice restored Saturn STG's on XBLA such as Raystorm and Radiant Silvergun.

LOL

Silvergun7

n00b
Personally I'd go with a phat PS2 with a FreeMcBoot setup and a 1TB hdd. Lots of options, lots of great shooters, looks great on a PVM...

Honestly a PS2 and a Saturn would be a great 1-2 punch.

The emulators on PS2 that I've tried have never really worked that great for me: I've had much better luck with some of the Xbox stuff

Saturn is great but everything is getting way too up there. You can pick up some of the greats for relatively cheap (Layer Section, Soukyugurentai), but when a lot of the shooter library can get above 80 it can get frustrating. I'm sure this shouldn't bother you that much if you've been collecting neo though :lolz: