What's the best overall system to get now for shooters?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I ordered the Cave Shooting Collection from Solaris a few days ago:

https://solarisjapan.com/products/cave-shooting-collection-the-end

It's gone up about $50 since I ordered but its still a good price if you want an instant Cave library. A lot of the other shooters are still easy to find and relatively well priced, so 360 might be your best option.

NICE! Which game are you going to start with? I highly recommend taking your time with each, will last you years and years of enjoyment.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
DAT DLC disc.

Yeah I skimmed over the shmups thread about that... lots of drama. It was a good price though and I don't have any of the games in it, (on 360 at least) so I figured why not.

NICE! Which game are you going to start with? I highly recommend taking your time with each, will last you years and years of enjoyment.

Thanks and I'll definitely take it one at a time. I'm thinking of starting with either Mushihimesama or Espgaluda II.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Modern shmups (ie. Cave): JPN Xbox 360
Everything older: modded oXbox/build-your-own emu box

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I've decided to go for the easy route for now, and I have an original modded Xbox with Coin Op 7 installed on the way, as suggested by cat. This will keep me going for now, and maybe when I have some more money in the future I will jump back into Steam via a different route.

I always have my Neo shooters and a small DC collection as back up :)

You won't regret it matt.
As much as i like coinops be sure to install the latest version of FBL and also the individual emulators for the other systems (snes, MD, pc engine etc) as well.
Hope it's got a big HDD in it, the biggest coinops runs over 100gb in size.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Been looking into the JP Xbox 360s these days, they have a mighty shmup library. Is there any benefit in running those vs. just running MAME though?

Chempop

Most of the cave titles on 360 don't run well at all on mame.

DOJ, Ketsui, and Guwange run okay, but emulating all the SH3 stuff is pointless.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Some fun arrange modes as well, Ketsupatchi, Pink Sweets arrange, etc.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

DOJ, Ketsui, and Guwange run okay, but emulating all the SH3 stuff is pointless.
It will come, for now I'm just happy to be able to play a little Ibara Kuro as I refuse to spend the money on the PCB...the more I wait the worse it gets...I'll never get it 'cause I'm poor...:(

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member

Thanks for the heads up, didn't realize is was superior to the MAME versions. I'll probably pick up one soon. Any suggestions on titles to start with?

Chempop

Any suggestions on titles to start with?

https://solarisjapan.com/products/cave-shooting-collection-the-end

The pre-owed for $236 is an insane bargain. I spend more than that on 2 of the Limited Editions when they were released, and this comes with over 10 games and a pile of superplay DVDs. just keep in mind the box set doesn't include the 2 cave games that were published by 5pb, Dodonpachi Daioujou and Ketsui. I guess if you just want to start with a couple, then get those 2 and save up for the collection down the road.

There are other non-cave games too like eschatos, raiden4, and many others, but I'm a bit of a cave fanboy as far as 360 games go.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I've decided to go for the easy route for now, and I have an original modded Xbox with Coin Op 7 installed on the way, as suggested by cat. This will keep me going for now, and maybe when I have some more money in the future I will jump back into Steam via a different route.

This is what I ended up doing as well and absolutely love playing it. Mine has a 500GB drive but is loaded with lots of shmups to enjoy! Congrats!

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
saturn is my fave with dc close behind both tend to be expensive. i love the idea of building a cab of some sort around a rasp pi but am gonna be doing a modded xbox instead here soon.

Jreach

n00b
Saturn all the way. Some of the prices are crazy high if you want to collect. If you just want to play, rhea is the shit.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
If you're staying with original hardware, intend to buy the games, and cost is a factor -- Sega Genesis. If price isn't a problem, I'd throw it to the Saturn with imports from Japan included or a PC engine with the CD drive and the best system (bios) card that allows for CD, Super CD and Arcade CD titles to run as that had a crap ton of quality games on all those formats between US some and many in Japan (HuCards too.)

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
Personally I'd go with a phat PS2 with a FreeMcBoot setup and a 1TB hdd. Lots of options, lots of great shooters, looks great on a PVM...

Honestly a PS2 and a Saturn would be a great 1-2 punch.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
If you're staying with original hardware, intend to buy the games, and cost is a factor -- Sega Genesis. If price isn't a problem, I'd throw it to the Saturn with imports from Japan included or a PC engine with the CD drive and the best system (bios) card that allows for CD, Super CD and Arcade CD titles to run as that had a crap ton of quality games on all those formats between US some and many in Japan (HuCards too.)
Which shmups would you suggest on the Genesis/Mega Drive? The only one i have for that system is Gynoug (Wings of Wor).

cjameslv

n00b
You can't go wrong with a pc engine duo/turbo duo. Turbo Everdrive covers your immediate hucard needs and you can then focus on getting the cd titles.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Which shmups would you suggest on the Genesis/Mega Drive? The only one i have for that system is Gynoug (Wings of Wor).

Arrow Flash
Thunder Force III
Thunder Force IV
Air busters
Whip Rush
Eliminate Down
Biohazard battle
Gleylancer
MUSHA
Slapfight
Darwin
Vapor Trail
Hellfire
Sol-Deace (Feace?)
Truxton
Steel Empire
Elemental Master
Gaiares
Raiden Trad
Verytex
Sagaia
Trouble Shooter
Battle Mania: TS Vintage
Fire Shark
Grind Stormer
Viewpoint
Zero Wing
Super Airwolf
Burning Force

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
genesis/megadrive is the reason why the 16bit generation is my favourite era for shmups.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
genesis/megadrive is the reason why the 16bit generation is my favourite era for shmups.
So many good shooters to pick from on the MD.
FilthyRear's got a pretty mint list up there.
Undeadline, twinkle tale and fantasy zone deserve a mention as well.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I never really considered the MegaDrive. I have about three of the things lying around, so I might have to look into a few of the games listed above.

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
Edit: This post excludes the 16-bit consoles.

If anyone is looking for one console for shmups and one console only that offers a ton of quality shooters, I don't know why anyone would recommend anything other than a Japanese 360. All of the Saturn and Dreamcast recommendations are almost pointless unless you like the novelty of the old hardware or are after a few select games. It's really getting to be a tired argument.

The 360 not only has some of Dreamcast's and Saturn's most popular shmups restored in HD and with a cheaper price tag, but many games from Cave, G. Rev, Konami, Raiden series, etc. Everything from colorful bullet hell's, a plethora of vertical and horizontal shooters, cheap indie games, various exclusives, and old-school-style shmups such as the Shooting Love collections and Raiden Fighters.

I mean, the Sakura Flamingo Archives alone has several Dreamcast games on the same disc for less than $60 along with Ikaruga on XBLA, a re-release of Under Defeat, Shikigami No Shiro III and some nice restored Saturn STG's on XBLA such as Raystorm and Radiant Silvergun.

Last edited: