What's the best overall system to get now for shooters?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
An ogxbox, chipped with a 750gb hdd is a very good all rounder, will basically play all systems up to ps1 gen pretty good, you also got mame, coin-ops, final burn legends, final burn alpha and visionary, these will let you play all the cps1 and cps2 games and also a fair old percentage of top arcade shooters.
It's already my goto console, if there was a working saturn emu for it, then that would be the cherry on the top, i wouldn't need another console TBH, well, maybe a jap 360.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Huh, I see. I tried setting it to auto-play disk, doesn't work. I still have to select my user (I have 2 since I needed a JP and US account at one point), then select game to play, then select memory card to load since I have a 256 internal and a 4GB USB drive. Oh well, no biggie.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Huh, I see. I tried setting it to auto-play disk, doesn't work. I still have to select my user (I have 2 since I needed a JP and US account at one point), then select game to play, then select memory card to load since I have a 256 internal and a 4GB USB drive. Oh well, no biggie.

That's odd. I have an old 20GB 360, one account auto logged in and with auto play. Boots to disc in the system every time. If I need to switch accounts for whatever reason, I just go back to the main menu, but you shouldn't have to for items bought on a different account as long as it was done on the same system.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Unless, you MUST have Hyper Duel, RSG & Battle Garegga...

I'd say a JPN PS2 due to the library combined with the PS1 shooter library too.

Lots, from DDP DOJ to ZanacXzanaC. Plus DP & DDP are better on PS1 > SAT too (not widely known, but it's true).

Battle Garegga & Hyper Duel will always help keep the Saturn in my collection though...

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor

Auto sign-in coupled w/ auto-play should fix this.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I'll try it, thanks.

Lots, from DDP DOJ to ZanacXzanaC. Plus DP & DDP are better on PS1 > SAT too (not widely known, but it's true).

I heard that the PS1 DDP is flawed because the bees don't add to your hit combo the way they are supposed to, essentially making it unplayable for score. That's just the beginning of what went wrong with the PS1 port, but I won't bore you since it's not widely known lol.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
If space and money are your primary concerns, pc is the best place to be. The 360 Cave titles are looking as though they will see a home on Steam. If the recent Deathsmiles announcement is anything to go by. I can't think of a game on Saturn shmup wise that isn't available in Mame.
Do the STV shmups get acceptable performance in mame these days? For example, back when we had Guardian Force SOTM here the game had major speed and input lag issues in mame.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
An ogxbox, chipped with a 750gb hdd is a very good all rounder, will basically play all systems up to ps1 gen pretty good, you also got mame, coin-ops, final burn legends, final burn alpha and visionary, these will let you play all the cps1 and cps2 games and also a fair old percentage of top arcade shooters.
It's already my goto console, if there was a working saturn emu for it, then that would be the cherry on the top, i wouldn't need another console TBH, well, maybe a jap 360.

I didn't think of this option. This could be a good compromise for now, I suppose.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I didn't think of this option. This could be a good compromise for now, I suppose.

Doesn't make sense why you would do this over dropping $50.00 on a PC and running mame on it. Less farting around then modding an Xbox.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Doesn't make sense why you would do this over dropping $50.00 on a PC and running mame on it. Less farting around then modding an Xbox.

Good point. I'm not really keen on emulators either to be honest, but maybe I'll just do that for now. My laptop could probably run mame just fine.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

I've had more headaches setting up and navigating through MAME on a PC than on an oXbox, but an stock oXbox is limited on memory.

cat

Horses for courses IMO, i find messing around with ogxbox's a doddle (i got 3), but i really, really struggle with mame on the pc, i have managed to get mameuifx going under a mala front end (was not easy either) and it was pretty good, but give me coin-ops 7 any day.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Horses for courses IMO, i find messing around with ogxbox's a doddle (i got 3), but i really, really struggle with mame on the pc, i have managed to get mameuifx going under a mala front end (was not easy either) and it was pretty good, but give me coin-ops 7 any day.

But coin ops is a frame skipping mess. That's my point.

cat

But coin ops is a frame skipping mess. That's my point.

Oh i don't know DZ runs ok considering the age and limits of the ogxbox remember it's only got 64mb on the mobo.
When i started messing with mame on a pc one of the first things i realised is mame likes a lot of memory on the mobo the graphics card you're rocking don't make it run that much better.
Only emu that really slows up with shooters is pcsXbox (einhander crawls in parts), but it's still playable.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Oh i don't know DZ runs ok considering the age and limits of the ogxbox remember it's only got 64mb on the mobo.
When i started messing with mame on a pc one of the first things i realised is mame likes a lot of memory on the mobo the graphics card you're rocking don't make it run that much better.
Only emu that really slows up with shooters is pcsXbox (einhander crawls in parts), but it's still playable.

Mame is processor hungry. A dual core with 4gbs of RAM will run you $80 and provide a much better emulation experience then an Xbox will. The Xbox was impressive in 2005, not so much anymore. Also, go into Coin Ops and run Galuda or Rade and tell me how smooth it runs.

Mame certainly does have a learning curve, but there are a few people here who are very well versed in setting it up. It's so worth the time investment.

Last edited:

cat

Mame is processor hungry. A dual core with 4gbs of RAM will run you $80 and provide a much better emulation experience then an Xbox will. The Xbox was impressive in 2005, not so much anymore. Also, go into Coin Ops and run Galuda or Rade and tell me how smooth it runs.

Mame certainly does have a learning curve, but there are a few people here who are very well versed in setting it up. It's so worth the time investment.

Yeah i hear you DZ and agree that an xbox is more than showing its age nowadays, mame set up properly on a pc running on the specs you quote will dump on an xbox. I still like coin-ops and FBL though lol.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The original Xbox probably had the best user interface of any potential rombox ever, I can see why people still like using it.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You can get xbox mobos with more ram and 1ghz cpus for better emu.

Yeah if you give up a kidney. Those things are nonsense nowadays and they crash more then they work correctly. I had one with more RAM back in the day.

I understand that y'all like the Xbox still, but it's not the best buy for shmups dollar wise and that's what the OP was asking.

cat

You can get xbox mobos with more ram and 1ghz cpus for better emu.

Not worth the effort TBH, there are still peeps about that will do the 128mb ram upgrade for you but it'll cost you more than a pi2 and when it comes to the cpu upgrade i think you'll struggle to find a single person left who still does it.
If one comes up on ebay with these 2 mods already done you'll not have much change from $150-$200.
The ram upgrade is no walk in the park to do and you've got to be pretty handy with a soldering station to do it. The cpu upgrade is up there with the most difficult of mods, beyond the skills of most.
I'm pretty sure the cpu is connected to the mobo directly, this needs to be removed then a socket is soldered on and then the cpu can be mounted.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
To the OP: Every console you listed you used to have collections for and also your worry about today's pricing doesn't really make for an easy answer. Every system you listed has a really good selection of shooters, but they also have so many that have gone stupid in price. I personally would go with a system like the pc-engine and just get an everdrive. Same if you want a MD/Genesis. How do you feel about older shooters to the newer cave style. I get sick of bullet hell and chain system bullshit so I stick to classic shooter stuff on pc-engine.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
To the OP: Every console you listed you used to have collections for and also your worry about today's pricing doesn't really make for an easy answer. Every system you listed has a really good selection of shooters, but they also have so many that have gone stupid in price. I personally would go with a system like the pc-engine and just get an everdrive. Same if you want a MD/Genesis. How do you feel about older shooters to the newer cave style. I get sick of bullet hell and chain system bullshit so I stick to classic shooter stuff on pc-engine.

That's the problem, I want the best of both worlds, some classic shooters like PC Engine and MD stuff and the later bullet hell type shooters. This is why I was hoping my Steam box would give me a bit of everything, but it turned out it gave me nothing because of the OS.

I've decided to go for the easy route for now, and I have an original modded Xbox with Coin Op 7 installed on the way, as suggested by cat. This will keep me going for now, and maybe when I have some more money in the future I will jump back into Steam via a different route.

I always have my Neo shooters and a small DC collection as back up :)

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member