What's the best overall system to get now for shooters?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I used to have all sorts of shooter collections, an almost complete Saturn shooter collection, PC Engine shooters, Neo Geo shooters, Dreamcast shooters, etc., but now I just don't have the room or time for so many different consoles.

If you had to just go for one system, today, taking into account the games available, today's pricing, maybe future release potential, what would you pick?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I used to have all sorts of shooter collections, an almost complete Saturn shooter collection, PC Engine shooters, Neo Geo shooters, Dreamcast shooters, etc., but now I just don't have the room or time for so many different consoles.

If you had to just go for one system, today, taking into account the games available, today's pricing, maybe future release potential, what would you pick?

Saturn or PC Engine for older stuff. Xbox if you like Cave shizz.

Or you could have just bought the alien ware alpha or installed Windows on you steambox, as PC would probably be your best option.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It would probably be a PC with MAME and the emus or a modded Xbox. Minimal space and cost and they play the games well.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Saturn or PC Engine for older stuff. Xbox if you like Cave shizz.

Or you could have just bought the alien ware alpha or installed Windows on you steambox, as PC would probably be your best option.

Yeah, I think this may be what I will have to do. The annoying thing is that I bought the Steambox to avoid having to mess around with a PC, I wanted a console experience. Once I start changing the operating system I might as well have just bought a PC from the start.

I'd love to get my Saturn collection back, but the prices are too high for me at the moment. I only have the money for one ridiculously expensive collection, and Neo Geo has taken that spot.

A Japanese 360 may be the way to go, assuming the good games are still affordable.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yeah, I think this may be what I will have to do. The annoying thing is that I bought the Steambox to avoid having to mess around with a PC, I wanted a console experience. Once I start changing the operating system I might as well have just bought a PC from the start.

I'd love to get my Saturn collection back, but the prices are too high for me at the moment. I only have the money for one ridiculously expensive collection, and Neo Geo has taken that spot.

The steam UI is pretty decent now that they've made tweaks. You can have Windows boot straight into it too, so you don't even need to see it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
MAME PC...best practical solution, fuck the "console experience" just play the damn games...

Steam PC, all kinds of awesome shooting titles, easier to get this way rather than individual PC releases.

X360jp for some Cave among other shooters that have been released over XBL.

Saturn is still king...so that's an awesome prime choice, booties or originals, either way you can't loose.

PC Engine/Turbo Duo get an everdrive make some booties and let the good times roll...or pay the price...

PS2 Great library as well, a bit of a mixed bag on visuals but still pretty solid.

Raspberry Pi looks like a cool option but I'd wait until there's actual proof that MAME runs well otherwise it's just sorta meh...I mean...you can still emulate some 16and 8 bit consoles well enough I guess.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
If space and money are your primary concerns, pc is the best place to be. The 360 Cave titles are looking as though they will see a home on Steam. If the recent Deathsmiles announcement is anything to go by. I can't think of a game on Saturn shmup wise that isn't available in Mame.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
True but the console environment helps a lot. Garegga for example, KIngdom GrandPrix is awesome, Batsugun, all these I prefer the Saturn port over the PCB or rom and I have all three on some of them...same for Gradius Deluxe, great port, the list goes on and on...

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I can't think of a game on Saturn shmup wise that isn't available in Mame.

Thunder Force V? Not trying to start an argument, but there's got to be couple of games, right?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I don't care for mame. Used it plenty in the early 2000's to try things out, but these days you need 5 different builds to figure out what games work best with which. That's exactly the kind of crap I can't stand, would rather spend my time playing games rather than test lag and framerate. Does it work for the good majority of classics, I suppose, but for SH3/CV1000 it's still garbage.

I will admit Steam is picking up. I don't use it but I'm happy to see it becoming home for indy devs and homebrew shmups like Zenohell and Crimzon Clover. I'd prefer hard copy releases on real consoles but it;s understandable why that isn't a viable option for the genre.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Overall system? For console STGs go with the Mega Drive (from ugly to brilliant -- it's all there), for an arcade experience there's your Neo Geo and/or the mighty Saturn, tho the latter's a bit tate heavy.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I always liked the PCE white console, a nice compact little setup...I almost went for one but ended up with a Duo instead.

MAME is awesome, but my cap ends at 2004 (excluding systems that don't run well jus yet of course), I don't really think the newer stuff is running up to par just yet, plus I run an old CPU so I have limits as well.

When all is said and done emulation is all I need, I consider everything else a bonus.

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Overall system? For console STGs go with the Mega Drive (from ugly to brilliant -- it's all there), for an arcade experience there's your Neo Geo and/or the mighty Saturn, tho the latter's a bit tate heavy.
and why didn´t the satan catched your attention yet ? All those nice shmups for Genesis and PS1, but still no saturn. You don´t like it, he ? And please Gerard, don´t read this ;)

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm still not sure what to waste my money on. I've given up on the Steam Machine, putting Windows on it isn't really what I wanted to have to do. I'm a lazy plug and play gamer.

I'm thinking maybe a Japanese 360...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
360 is far from plug and play...you know what I mean, takes a while to get going, then a splash screen, then choose your game, then the game's splash screen...so, I dunno, I'd stick with a JP Saturn if you want true plug and play with an amazing shmup library running at 240p.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
360 is far from plug and play...you know what I mean, takes a while to get going, then a splash screen, then choose your game, then the game's splash screen...so, I dunno, I'd stick with a JP Saturn if you want true plug and play with an amazing shmup library running at 240p.

You can set the 360 to autolaunch a disc so you'll never need to see the OS.

@OP the 360 is a solid choice. I've had a ton of fun with with thecave stuff and there are a few other excellent shmups on there too enjoy.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nice! I'm gonna get that going on my JP 360 'cause all I have are discs for it.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
DO IT.

Crap, why didn't I know this?

The original Xbox 360 with the blades dashboard was defaulted to autostart. When Microsoft came out with the enhanced experience dashboard with the avatars and shit they disabled it by default.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Thunder Force V? Not trying to start an argument, but there's got to be couple of games, right?

See that's why I said, I couldn't think of one. Good spotting my mistakes. TFV is good. I don't think its a game that would be worthy of choosing one platform over another, but others may feel differently.

Oh dear, heaven forbid an argument breaks out.

No one wants STG lord "Mr_B" to be upset!

You're fucking right they don't. I'll come down from my mountain top and bitch slap all who upset me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The original Xbox 360 with the blades dashboard was defaulted to autostart. When Microsoft came out with the enhanced experience dashboard with the avatars and shit they disabled it by default.

I actually liked the blades better than the later dashboard.