Universe Bios 3.3 MVS/AES released!

nono2lozere

Quiz Detective
Hello,

I'm happy with 3.3 but I have a question/feature request: can you swap select and credit buttons in arcade mode on multislot with more than 1 cartridge inserted?
Because it's anoying to wake up for adding credits.
Thanks.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
That is disallowed because if it was allowed, when you insert a coin the game would swap to the next.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Why would I want to add a feature that I know will not work. You best bet if you have a CMVS is to use the coin button.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Why not just put your MVS mobo into free play mode?

Jontox

Quiz Detective
Enable Cabinet Fixes + Input Crossing

I will start soon two consolization projects.
One is a one slot MVS which is not a big case due to the presence of only one game.

As per the other it is a 2 slots.
I would like to know if a coin button will be definitely needed or not.

As per the universe bios 3.3 manual, it is stated that:

* Enable Cabinet Fixes: When enabled 1Up (A) and (B) buttons will act as game select buttons during attract mode on multislot hardware...

* Input Crossing: ... When using the joystick ports, select buttons will insert coins when in arcade mode. On MULTISLOT hardware, this feature is automatically disabled when more than one game is found...

I thought first that on a MULTISLOT with i.e. two games inserted in a MV2S, I could select a game with 1Up (A) and (B) buttons and then add a coin with select button (Input Crossing).
But it seems as per the manual that it won't work and that a coin button is needed.

N.B.: Freeplay is not the question here as it is obvious that it is a alternative for a coin button

Razoola, may you please confirm my understanding ?
By the way, is there a download link for the Universe Bios 3.3 User Guide as for the printed one, time will erase printed paper for sure ?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
These are two seperate features. Using A and B to select a game on multislot was asked for and used by people who have a multislot in a single slot cab what does not have the select buttons wired.

Because Input Crossing will be disabled when a multislot is detected the way to wire up is to wire all three (START,SELECT,COIN), this is the preferred and correct way. If you do not want to wire three buttons the next best would be to only wire up COIN and START and have the cabinet fixes enabled (use A and B to cycle games). This way however means you will be unable to pause games when in AES mode using SELECT button, you can still pause by bringing up the ingame menu however. If you can. I suggest wiring all three buttons.

There is no electronic version of the manual available sorry.

Last edited:

xterc

n00b
Raz, I just wanted to say thank you for shipping and developing this product. I received it last week and it works flawlessly.

Mishran

New Challenger
I ordered one on the 22nd and received it today. Now occupies the BIOS slot in my Neo cab. Thank you for this fantastic invention.

pva

Mega Shock!!
After lusting after the Neo Geo for nearly 30 years, I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a Japanese AES console off eBay. The UniBIOS seemed an essential addition to unlock the full potential of the console, and I must say I haven't been disappointed. Thanks for a truly excellent product, Raz!

I also want to give a shout out to Neil from 8Bitplus, who performed the actual mod work (he's one of the official 3rd party installers), since I wouldn't know a soldering iron from a curling iron. Absolutely bloody stellar customer service, sir!

Agent1299

n00b
After lusting after the Neo Geo for nearly 30 years, I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a Japanese AES console off eBay. The UniBIOS seemed an essential addition to unlock the full potential of the console, and I must say I haven't been disappointed. Thanks for a truly excellent product, Raz!

I also want to give a shout out to Neil from 8Bitplus, who performed the actual mod work (he's one of the official 3rd party installers), since I wouldn't know a soldering iron from a curling iron. Absolutely bloody stellar customer service, sir!

Much like yourself, an AES was a long time wishlist item of mine. Bought a Japanese model off of ebay, installed the unibios and socket and performed the 3-6 board rgb mod. Works flawlessly, though desoldering the orginal bios chip is pretty tenuous. I am glad i went that route though. Thanks Raz for a great product!

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Much like yourself, an AES was a long time wishlist item of mine. Bought a Japanese model off of ebay, installed the unibios and socket and performed the 3-6 board rgb mod. Works flawlessly, though desoldering the orginal bios chip is pretty tenuous. I am glad i went that route though. Thanks Raz for a great product!
I had to double-check that I didn't make your post and forget about it. :)

I also finally got a Japanese console recently after lusting a long time and installed UniBIOS last week. I also happen to have 3-6. Did a promo or easy fix tip the scales for you like it did for me? I pulled the trigger after an eBay $15 off promotion. It was also sold as "junk" and I had other spare parts so I took a risk (luckily, it was repairable).

rattboi

n00b
I got Unibios 3.3 for my consolized MV-1B project, but I haven't installed it yet. I've been waiting to see if I can snag the VMC version of the NeoBiosMasta, as it's out of stock right now. I may have to just bite the bullet and get the non-VMC version for now...

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm sure this is something simple, but I don't see it asked anywhere on the forums yet.

I sat down to play my Omega and tried to A+B+C into the menu to switch regions like I have 100 times before. Yet after trying for about 20 minutes now, no dice. Tried tapping the combo after startup when I see the Unibios splash. Also tried to holding the buttons down before and after flipping the power switch.

Google wasn't much help either. I thought I saw something about needing to open the case up and use the hard dips, but I didn't want to go that route initially. Now I'm not able to dig that up again.

This is version 3.3 and I was last using a NeoSD. Thought maybe there was some conflict in boot up, so I switched the cart out for a regular Sam Sho but I'm still in the same boat. Also tried swapping out control sticks just in case. Not entirely sure what else to try.

Edit: Oh, one more thing I just thought of: last night my Omega decided to randomly reset while I was in the middle of flashing a game via NeoSD. I'm really hoping that didn't jack things up.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
sounds like the arcade protect feature has been enabled. That means you need to press the testmode button with ABC to get into the menu (or have hardDIP 1 on) at the point you press ABC. Then disable the arcade protect feature and turn hardDIP 1 off (if you put it on).

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
sounds like the arcade protect feature has been enabled. That means you need to press the testmode button with ABC to get into the menu (or have hardDIP 1 on) at the point you press ABC. Then disable the arcade protect feature and turn hardDIP 1 off (if you put it on).

Thanks Raz. I'll give this a shot tonight. I appreciate the response.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
So I bought a Neogeo with a debug bios installed in it. Can I just order a Unibios, and just swap chips out?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Depends on how its been installed. If its an AES with a socket then yes.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
It is an AES Ill have to open it up when it gets here to see if there is a socket. I'm guessing it's easy to tell which way it goes in if it does in fact have a socket.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes it is, the chip and socket has a notch cut into them.

Raz

FBX

Quiz Detective
It is an AES Ill have to open it up when it gets here to see if there is a socket. I'm guessing it's easy to tell which way it goes in if it does in fact have a socket.

The notch will be on the left of the socket toward the center of the console. Here's my own installation with socket and UNIBIOS ROM installed:

NeoGeo-Mods-UNIBIOS-04.jpg

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Sweet, thanks alot. It should be here on Thursday; been waiting for this moment for a long time.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Ordered my UniBios over the weekend. Have a feeling it will show up before my MV-1C does. Just waiting for the NeoBiosMastaVMC to come back in stock.