Universe Bios 3.3 MVS/AES released!

co2

n00b
ordered mine today looking forward to installing it, MV1A board so pre socketed should mean a simple install

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Having a look at the different japan MVS bios in MAME, i was wondering if the vs-bios allows to start a game on player2?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
yes it does on the games that support it.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Was the vs-bios released before the j3 bios and if so, do the games released in between support it?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I do not know the answer to this.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Raz, is there anywhere on the internet that has a database of the cheats found on the unibios? I find it mainly fascinating to see which fighting games have character unlock options. I find it stunning how the unibios can do that, allow you to play as say Orochi in kof97 is just mindblowing.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
From what i've seen with the j3 bios all the games starting from Samsho3 support it. Are the vs-bios and j3 bios the only 2 stock japan MVS bios that allow to start on player2?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Not sure if this is just bad programming in the game, or an issue with the UniBios so I decided to post it here for clarification.

MVS MV-1C
UniBios 3.3
Settings: USA, Console

When playing Rage of the Dragons in Console mode then choosing "Practice", for both 2P characters select "No One" and pressing "Start"results in the below error:

zlqnruLl.jpg

I verified this also happens in MAME with UniBios 3.2. Is this just bad programming in the sense that the game should never let you choose "Start" with no 2nd player characters selected? I was hoping to start a practice match where I could try out moves without being attacked by the CPU.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
If it happens in MAME also then yes it is.

di3sel

n00b
Ordered mine with Raz a few days ago. I have a 3.2 in my mv1-b and decided to install one in my cmvs.
Looking forward to receiving it and installing it in the upcoming days :)

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Might sound like an odd question, but to those with unibios and SVC Chaos, are the two PS2 secret characters playable characters made available through cheats (Athena and Fire Brand)?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I think athena is but not sure about the other. You need to be in AES mode to unlock them.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I think athena is but not sure about the other. You need to be in AES mode to unlock them.

Thanks for the info! :)

I think Firebrand may be his PS2 name, I think on the Neo Geo he was called Red Arremer if I'm not mistaken.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I tested a bunch of fighters (including all KoF titles) with the Unibios for the character unlock cheats to see what was available, almost everything I threw at it had all characters playable which is really amazing (hard to stress how incredible a feature this is).

The only two that I found where the bosses don't seem to be playable are King of Fighters 99 (Krizalid only) and King of Fighters 2000 which has no character unlock cheats at all. I guess that game got the least love. In AES only Kula is playable but no Zero. Is KoF2000 one of your least favorites Razoola? :p

Really not essential but as a huge King of Fighters 98 fan I would have found it fun if Omega Rugal were selectable through the regular Start + cursor over Rugal code in MVS via a unibios cheat, but unfortunately that's not there.

Last Blade also has a mistake in the Unibios on the MVS side, there is an option for Unlocking Musashi (I think his name is mispelt too) and Kagami, but apparently Kagami is not playable in MVS. In AES mode this cheat works properly and both characters are selectable.

For a short run down of what I tried here's what's unlockable:

King of Fighters 94: Rugal (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

King of Fighters 95: Saisyu and Omega Rugal (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

King of Fighters 96: Chizuru and Goenitz (in mvs and aes) -- All characters playable

King of Fighters 97: All of them, including Orochi (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

King of Fighters 98: No character cheats --- All characters playable in AES

King of Fighters 99: Kyo and Iori (in mvs and aes) --- Krizalid not playable

King of Fighters 2000: No character cheats --- Zero not playable

King of Fighters 2001: Zero, Igniz playable but with issues --- All characters playable (some issues)

King of Fighters 2002: Omega Rugal (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

King of Fighters 2003: All of them including Adel and Mukai (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

Last Blade: Musashi in MVS, Musashi and Kagami in AES --- All characters playable in AES mode

Last Blade 2: Kouryu and Hagure (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

Garou Mark of the Wolves: No character cheats --- All characters playable in AES

Samurai Shodown: Amakusa playable in both mvs and aes --- All characters playable

Samurai Shodown II: Mizuki and Kuroko playable (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

Samurai Shodwon IV: Zankuro playable (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special: No character cheats --- Nightmare Geese not playable (except via manual codes)

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: No character cheats --- Alfred not playable

Ninja Masters: Ranmaru and Nobunaga playable (in mvs and aes) --- All characters playable

Sengoku 3: Byakki and Okuni playable on character select --- All characters playable from start of game

Wish I had some more to test (such as SVC Chaos). Love that Razoola took the time to create these awesome character unlock cheats, now one of my favorite aspects of the Unibios. I was stunned when I first tried it on KoF97 and found Orochi playable. As a younger teenager that was like a dream of mine, and unfortunately was only possible on the Playstation port and Neo Geo Pocket in R1. Now we have some other real stunners, like KoF2003 allowing the use of all the hidden characters. It's amazing.

EDIT: I added Sengoku 3, despite not being a fighter, since it has character unlocks.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The Last blade spelling is on purpose as there is not enough space on the line for the correct spelling.

There is no cheat that I know of that allows both kof2000 / rbff2 etc bosses to be unlocked on the character select screen. If you know one please let me know and Ill see if I can add it.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks Razoola for the answer. If I can try more games I will edit and add to the list above so we have some sort of list of reference of what games have what character unlocks. Eventhough it's not a fighter I added Sengoku 3 since it has 2 character unlocks. So great that one can play as them before getting to the second half of the game.

Are codes found via dip switches or is it trial and error in the unibios cheats?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The codes I got were found by disassembly and debuggers.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I mean cheats to unlock characters on the select screens. Its easy to force characters (including bosses) using the unibios patch engine option already.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I see. It's amazing that you found how to get that done for some of those titles, like the invisible character selection blocks in 03, and 97 with Orochi in the invisible bottom center.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Is there a kof99 cart revision that lets you play as Krizalid 1st and 2nd form from the start?

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Is there a kof99 cart revision that lets you play as Krizalid 1st and 2nd form from the start?

Apparently there is, I found a video of it here, called King of Fighters 99 Super Plus.
https://youtu.be/iOfMf_NwKrA?t=26s

Looks like Krizalid both forms appear between Kyo and Iori on the menu screen.

I'm not a fan of hacks but cool to know this exists. Too bad this can't be implemented into the Unibios.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've been putting off getting UniBIOS for my cabinet. Having seen how the releases had been rolling out I figured I'd wait and see when 3.4 would pop up but as of yet it has not. Is a newer release coming anytime soon? Yes I know there's a replacement plan for 5euro, but it would stink to order, then have it out date a month or two later.