Magician Lord, Riding Hero and Super Spy...

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Ok... I bought these in a lot on eBay to get some non-fighting games in the playlist.

I played Magician Lord the first night until I got passed the second boss. Wow, what a tough game! You guys were not kidding! As hard as it is, I could not stop playing it. I played it for another hour tonight. Having a blast with it! Great music, different transformations to keep the game interesting while offering some interesting tactics. I can see me playing this one a lot.

Next I popped in Riding Hero. As nostalgic as I can be, I could not get into this one at all. It wasn't fun at all.

The last of the lot was The Super Spy. This game has very simple and repetitive gameplay. But I really liked this one. More so than I thought I would after watching some videos on it. The repetition does get old, but it was still enjoyable. I wish I had more ammo... :)

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. As Meatloaf said, two out of three aint bad! :)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
you should try riding hero: dion gt

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Use the UniBIOS to give yourself unlimited ammo on Super Spy. Helps with the monotony.

Too bad Super Spy never got a sequel. I feel like they had a great base game there that just needed more refinement and complexity to make it more interesting.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Use the UniBIOS to give yourself unlimited ammo on Super Spy. Helps with the monotony.

Too bad Super Spy never got a sequel. I feel like they had a great base game there that just needed more refinement and complexity to make it more interesting.

More complexity? Can you handle playing it as it is?

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I prefer playing without codes. Gives more replay value I think.

I only use them after I beat a game a few times. I understand the point you're making about breaking up the repetition by blasting a few more guys though :)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I never get the Magician Lord is hard statements. Ninja Combat is hard, and cheap. Magician Lord is tough, but m a lot more fair, with only a few cheap moments. I use to be able to 1cc the AES version back in the day. Really all the bosses, except the very last I have found to have really simple patterns. Most involve jumping straight up, and letting the enemy jump away. Or the sword guy that lunges at you, get to the other side of the screen, and as he lunges blast him, and repeat. The fish guy, again jump straight up. The guy with the blue shield, just stand in the middle and jump or duck as he jump or rushes. The real bosses tend to be even easier. Except I can't remember if I ever found a pattern for the last guy.

I may have actually 1cc until the final boss. He's pretty cheap.

If you want to get some replay from Magician Lord, go for that 1cc or $1.00 playthough. I think it will be a lot easier than you think. I would just play the game with unlimited cc, but never beat it. Then practice and lose a lot on the bosses on purpose looking for ways to beat them.

The game is hella good. One of my favorites. You just have to learn the patterns.

Another really good tip is to memorize the levels. Most have doors that are death traps. Avoid those! Leanr the direct path to the end, and skip all the impossible shit. Especially the cheap ass frog infested rooms. They are impossible using just Elta, unless at full magic power.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
What I don't get is how are people just buying games without knowing what they are getting into?! Is the internet broke or something?! Is emulation exclusive to intelligent human beings?

Mega lol for straight up stupidity...

Edit: You don't need to be quoting meatloaf...just no...

...and as a meatloaf enthusiast, Bat Out of Hell III is his best album...too bad it came 20 years too late...

Last edited:

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
What I don't get is how are people just buying games without knowing what they are getting into?! Is the internet broke or something?! Is emulation exclusive to intelligent human beings?

Mega lol for straight up stupidity...

Edit: You don't need to be quoting meatloaf...just no...

...and as a meatloaf enthusiast, Bat Out of Hell III is his best album...too bad it came 20 years too late...

lol

I knew what I was getting into. The three games came in a lot from eBay for a better price than I could have bought two of them...

I don't regret any purchases... Not sure what stupidity you are referring to...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
What other stupidity could I be possibly referring to if not yours alone? Think what you will, you're buying games like sheep, or a fucken llama if you will...

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
What other stupidity could I be possibly referring to if not yours alone? Think what you will, you're buying games like sheep, or a fucken llama if you will...

I'm not sure what your problem is...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm not sure what your problem is...

That's just ElectricGrave, He will grow on you over time.

I'm still trying to figure him out in all honesty. I know he hates collecturds, and likes emulation.

But i'm not sure if he actually buys retro games he can emulate, or if he just buys the best games in shit condition cause collecturdism involves minty games with smells. The fact is though he hates collecturdz.

Either way though he obviously plays games, and is knowledgeable, and probably has actual skill, from what I can gather. So he gets brownie points from me for actually playing games, and not spanking off on them, or smelling them.

He is a bit blunt, and opinionated though.

Just tell him emulation is king, and you are not collecturd.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Do not anger ElectricGrave!

lawnmowerman2.jpg

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Just tell him emulation is king, and you are not collecturd.

I'm certainly not a collector. I don't understand collecting for the sake of having a collection. That would entail some sort of discipline, and a gotta catch 'em all mentality.

I emulate some systems/games with no problem, and I have a love for those games no matter the format. The best example I can think of in my sleep deprived state is the Turbo CD Rondo of Blood. That is one of my favorite games, and I play it often on my mac... So, I'd agree that emulation has its place.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Not into riding hero???? We can't have sex now. You killed it. :lolz:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm certainly not a collector. I don't understand collecting for the sake of having a collection. That would entail some sort of discipline, and a gotta catch 'em all mentality.

I emulate some systems/games with no problem, and I have a love for those games no matter the format. The best example I can think of in my sleep deprived state is the Turbo CD Rondo of Blood. That is one of my favorite games, and I play it often on my mac... So, I'd agree that emulation has its place.
lol, just busting your chops because it's fun...anyway, same boat here, I played Rondo of Blood through emulation and bootlegs until I got it through a trade and I still played it on Magic Engine but it was nice having the OST acute as the bootleg tends to be off by a couple of seconds. Forward almost a decade later and I got me a Turbo Duo by mere chance. So yeah Rondo is the greatest Castlevania of them all, I wish more games would adopt the parallel stage progression, so awesome, makes the game way more entertaining knowing that alkternate routes actually serve a purpose although it's all the same at the end, but whayevs, the fun never ends...

As for your collecturdability, well...now that you like Riding Hero we shouldn't have a problem. In all honesty though, buying any game without knowing WTF is something we all do here and there but when you're talking about Neo, an expensive hobby, even if going the cheapest route it still is an expensive hobby, anyway, buying games to later get that buyer's remorse seems silly in this day and age with the Neo when you have all the tools at your disposal to find out whether you want a game or not. I get you bought it on a bundle, it still dumb 'cause you stated you bought a few games to break off the fighting genre and have some variety, well...it sounds to me like you're just buying just because, like sheep, but that's your business and I have no say in it, the sole reason I said anything is 'cause this is a forum, you say something and you're more than likely to find 2 sort of responses towards your opinion or statement. So, I don't have a problem with you personally I do have my opinion about what you shared with us, take it or leave it, it doesn't matter...so in short, no problem here, but get used to the idea of having a discussion here and there, that's what this place is for.

On another note...you make guitars, which is awesome, my first electric guitar was home made, I wish I had pictures, it was fugly, we couldn't make curvatures so we went with hex edges, it was crazy looking...but anyway...when someone asks you to make a neo guitar and the first thing you think about it the damn console deck...tsk, tsk, come one man, get more motivated than that...a better idea would have been to use the dual face logo as the body and go from there, come one man, that's just what anybody with any sense whatsoever that loves the NEO and SNK would have thought off...lol.

As for Greedo...dude thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm no super player like andsuchisdeath here but I like to make the effort to hold my own...

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
No worries man, I didn't take it to heart. Caught me off guard, but it's all good... I'm all for a conversation about games, but it's not often someone calls me stupid. That's the part I didn't care for.

I was kidding about the console for the body. :) You will never believe how many emails I get each week about coming up with some new great thing to make for someone. 99% of these great ideas never go anywhere, so I have learned to take it with a sense of humor.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Calling you stupid is the tip of the iceberg...soon you'll see that was being mild...

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
the_battle-400x376.png